Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 07:12 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Lot of Arabs sold Blacks into slavery as well.
And that's terrible... but we're talking about the US, right? Other people doing crappy things doesn't absolve our own history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I can't really argue that. Look at Florida. Alot of development in southern part of the state was due to Northern investment.
So after 14 pages (and sorry for all the posts all at once)... but maybe it's not "The South Will Rise Again!", but rather "The South Maybe Will Rise Some More*"

*If the North allows it.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
This is always an interesting question... but where would the South be today if not for the past 50-60 years of Northern domestic migration and economic shifts?

Perhaps the South made itself enough of a blank slate, but an argument can possibly be made that the North has been a big part of what has made the South what it is today. Ironic, I'd say.
I agree the South has been helped out by Northern migration but a lot of educated black people are moving back to the South. Almost all my family from Columbus moved to Atlanta and Orlando and they love it.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:16 PM

I kinda miss Columbus, OH its a great town to grow up in but I have been happy to call the South my home my entire adult life. I love it here. I have already lived in AL, FL, TX, KY and soon to be TN.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I agree the South has been helped out by Northern migration but a lot of educated black people are moving back to the South. Almost all my family from Columbus moved to Atlanta and Orlando and they love it.
Columbus' black population continues to grow by double-digits, so honestly, who cares. Good luck to them, though.

And basically you're saying that your family prospered and became educated in the North, something they apparently couldn't do before in the South. Southern AA poverty is still horrendous.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Columbus' black population continues to grow by double-digits, so honestly, who cares. Good luck to them, though.

And basically you're saying that your family prospered and became educated in the North, something they apparently couldn't do before in the South. Southern AA poverty is still horrendous.
They have poverty everywhere not just the South, a lot of Ohio is Appalachian and poor as well. I do miss Columbus OH sometimes and when people make fun of Ohio I have to stick up for my home state. I love living in the South thou, its more progressive than people think.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:23 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
I don't think people realize that many slaves brought to America were sold to their masters in Africa by other blacks, but nobody ever talks about that.
No, they never do. It doesn't fit with the whole narrative we've been sold about Europeans being so evil.

Quote:
You just subtly implied that Northerners are *ssholes without values. Is this what passes for Southern niceties?
Not all Northerners. Northerners are not all the same, though no group of Northerners is as friendly and courteous as Southerners on the whole. Northerners vary significantly when it comes to the values they hold. There are many rustic folks in the North that have many of the same values commonly found among Southerners. But in my experience, they are not quite as warm and friendly. It is nothing but a logical conclusion that if we can call any one group the best in some respect that there are groups that are worse and maybe even one that is the worst. I have plenty of experiences to back up my statements. This is also the popular perception and it is anything but unfounded.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

Not all Northerners. Northerners are not all the same, though no group of Northerners is as friendly and courteous as Southerners on the whole. Northerners vary significantly when it comes to the values they hold. There are many rustic folks in the North that have many of the same values commonly found among Southerners. But in my experience, they are not quite as warm and friendly. It is nothing but a logical conclusion that if we can call any one group the best in some respect that there are groups that are worse and maybe even one that is the worst. I have plenty of experiences to back up my statements. This is also the popular perception and it is anything but unfounded.
Well, as long you clarify you don't mean every single person...

Your experience, like everyone's, is going to be extremely limited when it comes to people. The fact that you're sitting there and judging all Northerners (and yes, you are doing exactly that) doesn't exactly show that you're all that in tune with what might be considered "friendly" or "courteous", because you seem to be the opposite of that.

I will take a supposedly rude, unfriendly Northerner to your brand of warmth any day.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:40 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Yes thank God for the federal government secretly slipping people LSD just to see what would happen and giving people STDs for the fun of it all. Any large faceless organization has a great temptation towards evil, but at least the sap alley ones have fewer resources to cover up what they're doing.

Ah but no mention of Texas putting two guys in prison for having sex in their own bedroom? Hmm, why that? Or Southern states not allowing black people the right to vote in their own country.

Why does everyone on CD always give states a pass, and single out the Fed Govt? If not for the Fed Govt, states would continue to ban SSM, and put people in prison for what they do in their bedrooms. I thank god for the Fed Govt and how it has protected my rights from corrupt state governments.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:43 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
This is always an interesting question... but where would the South be today if not for the past 50-60 years of Northern domestic migration and economic shifts?

Perhaps the South made itself enough of a blank slate, but an argument can possibly be made that the North has been a big part of what has made the South what it is today. Ironic, I'd say.

Or more precisely, where would the South be without the Fed Govt forcing the states there to accord simple human rights to its own citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.