Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:17 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately there is not any sizeable secession movement really anywhere in the US, maybe especially in the South. Money talks, and the Feds have largely appeased the masses with hand-outs and programs.

Yes, America is "strong", but is being "strong" and end in and of itself? I believe there are more important things. We see what America's "strength" has been used for, constant military adventurism all over the globe and strong-arming weaker nations into submission to our "interests".

America won't last forever, no nation has or will. Liberty and prosperity cannot possibly be maintained with such a massive, centralized government covering such a massive area with such a massive population, especially when that massive government likes to meddle overseas. You might be able to preserve liberty, and you might be able to preserve prosperity, but I don't think both. Liberty in the classic republican sense is already gone, and has been for a while.

I just wish states would break off and be independent before it becomes a necessity, before corruption and decay make it inevitable.

The North American continent needs to be more "Balkanized" for lack of a better word. Dozens of smaller republics that can better serve their citizens and where the citizens can better preserve their liberties and interests.

I would point you to this article if you are interested: Policing the World

Last edited by EscAlaMike; 01-16-2015 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 07:23 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I can't even imagine what summer in the South will be like in 30 years from now, with global warming.
Ok, dude - global warming? For real? I'd have gone with tornadoes or boll weevils or that old stand by "least we got color tv and indoor plumbing."

It got down in the 30s here last week and a few sleet balls dropped. I almost called it a half day.

I saw a commercial on cable TV for winter tires and I thought, how weird . Why would someone buy special tires for a season that only lasts a few days to a couple of weeks tops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Some of us are hotboxes and actually like the cold, also skiing.
Ever done a polar bear plunge? It is exactly what you think it is, only some of us enjoy that too.
Ever worn a t-shirt and shorts on Christmas Day? I have.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:29 PM

65 posts, read 125,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I can't even imagine what summer in the South will be like in 30 years from now, with global warming.
fuc*ing paradise, at least for me.
I'm in the way bottom of SC's lowcountry, and I moved here from NJ. To give you an idea of how much I hate the cold I sit here when it's a min temp of 44 and literally feel like I am on death's door risking hypothermia when I'm outside and complain perpetually... worst part being I know what real winter is as I am from a frozen winter tundra known as the NYC metro...then I'll look at what my folks are dealing with and it's usually below freezing, grey, snow, etc.
I wouldn't ever move north of Charleston County for twice the salary I make, and that includes NC. No way, no how. I don't care how hot it gets in the summer, it's cold up there in winter.
I am happiest at about 95 degrees with 95% humidity... I'm legitimately certain I could live in Miami in August and wish it was hotter.
March cannot come soon enough

Old 01-16-2015, 07:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
the north has nothing to hate the south about. they raped the south and laughed.
what the south hopefully has learned is dont take up arms unless you are willing to go all the way.
they werent and when the north got their act together, the south paid dearly for their reluctance.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Unfortunately there is not any sizeable secession movement really anywhere in the US, maybe especially in the South. Money talks, and the Feds have largely appeased the masses with hand-outs and programs.

Yes, America is "strong", but is being "strong" and end in and of itself? I believe there are more important things. We see what America's "strength" has been used for, constant military adventurism all over the globe and strong-arming weaker nations into submission to our "interests".

America won't last forever, no nation has or will. Liberty and prosperity cannot possibly be maintained with such a massive, centralized government covering such a massive area with such a massive population, especially when that massive government likes to meddle overseas. You might be able to preserve liberty, and you might be able to preserve prosperity, but I don't think both. Liberty in the classic republican sense is already gone, and has been for a while.

I just wish states would break off and be independent before it becomes a necessity, before corruption and decay make it inevitable.

The North American continent needs to be more "Balkanized" for lack of a better word. Dozens of smaller republics that can better serve their citizens and where the citizens can better preserve their liberties and interests.

I would point you to this article if you are interested: Policing the World
Couldn't aqgree more - HIGHLY distrusting of the feds and truly flat out hate the dirtbags. I am all for states rights, and the feds getting involved and screwing everyone over is so irritating to me. Case in point, any MJ legalization initiatives - the MAJORITY of the residents of that STATE want it, LEAVE THEM ALONE.
It's like having an old, annoying relative with alzheimers constantly peering over your shoulder, telling you how to live your life, all the while robbing your money bi-weekly.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:03 PM

Yes. And we want more white women, whiskey and firearms. Whatcha gonna do about it??

Old 01-16-2015, 09:25 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taajsgpm View Post
What does that even mean , let's bring back slavery ? Im confused by "rise again" sounds pretty scary to me
There is a heck of a lot more to The South than slavery. Slavery existed in the North too, and pretty much everywhere in the world until the 1800s. Read "I'll Take my Stand" by the Twelve Southerners if you want to learn about what "The South" really means.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:29 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
There is a heck of a lot more to The South than slavery. Slavery existed in the North too, and pretty much everywhere in the world until the 1800s. Read "I'll Take my Stand" by the Twelve Southerners if you want to learn about what "The South" really means.
I don't think people realize that many slaves brought to America were sold to their masters in Africa by other blacks, but nobody ever talks about that.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:43 PM

393 posts, read 345,470 times
I live in Southern California and I've seen those bumper stickers on the backs of pickup trucks here before, usually next to a confederate flag sticker. It's just strange to see that all the way over here.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:45 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temeku View Post
I live in Southern California and I've seen those bumper stickers on the backs of pickup trucks here before, usually next to a confederate flag sticker. It's just strange to see that all the way over here.
They have a lot of white power groups in California. California has a lot of hillbilly and redneck towns in the desert, ever been to Barstow before its a scary place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.