Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 06:41 AM

511 posts, read 491,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
The South is still known for having some of the dimmest minds in America. I'm not bashing everyone down there, just tired of twangy, religious right-wingers who ignore evidence for AGW, etc. The whole nation needs to catch up to modern times if we are to survive.

"Ain't no global warmin' cuz I needed a blanket this mornin' in 'bamy!" (put a lid on it, fool)
The biggest problem is bigots like you (I'm not bashing everyone out there) who think anyone who doesn't believe what you believe has a dim mind.
"I'm smart because I live in California and everyone is inferior to me!" Put a lid on it, fool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 06:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I can't even imagine what summer in the South will be like in 30 years from now, with global warming.
You mean "climate change." Gotta get those politically correct words down straight.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:57 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No. We don't even think about it.

The sole exception is when someone moves here from Connecticut or some such place and begins to immediately ***** about the way we do things down here even before the moving van is unpacked. Yet they're coming here for opportunity that wasn't present in whatever place they left. Go figure.
At the same time, as soon as many people move from the north to the south, they are instantly and repeatedly (and we are told jokingly) referred to as a "Yankee." Some could see that as kinda saying "you're not really welcome here" and can cause folks to start comparing the North to the South.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, the way I see it, that is war. The South started that war, the Union finished it. If the South had not attacked Fort Sumter, this would have not happened.
Confederate troops didn't just wake up one day and say, "Hey, I've got an idea about something exciting to do today - let's go attack some sweet and precious guys stationed at Fort Sumter!"

Old 01-18-2015, 07:35 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, the way I see it, that is war. The South started that war, the Union finished it. If the South had not attacked Fort Sumter, this would have not happened.
That WAS NOT war until Lincoln's War. Up until the 1860s, war in the Western world had always had civil guidelines. You don't destroy private property, if at all avoidable, you don't kill women and children, etc. Lincoln and Sherman and their "Total War" philosophy changed all of that forever. Hence modern warfare which is utterly depraved and inhumane.

Lincoln could have allowed the Southern states to secede peacefully. He did not have to invade. His shipping of munitions and supplies into Fort Sumter (located in sovereign and independent South Carolina) was a clear act of war, and the shots that were fired by Confederate troops were a justified response to Lincoln's initial act of war.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:40 AM

723 posts, read 805,775 times
The Demographics changed tremendously in the North over the past 150 Years due to immigration and many other factors.
Let's hope you also understand the extent of international relations today at this age of high technology. So you all should chill out there down south because No-one is ready to go back to the old stuffs.

Last edited by ThePage; 01-18-2015 at 08:36 AM..

Old 01-18-2015, 10:12 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I get tired of "the south started the war". Lincoln did not accept southern independence and was raising an army to invade the south. This was months before Sumpter. War was inevitable, and the fact that the first shots were fired by the CSA at a USA fort does not absolve the USA for starting the war. They were preparing their invasion, they were resupplying a fort in sovereign South Carolina territory in defiance of the South Carolina government. You could just as easily say the north started the war.
And the South wanted to secede because it had a strong desire to keep and maintain slavery. Now, I understand Lincoln was not friend of the Black man. However, he desired to keep the USA together. You cannot expect someone to just accept your plea for independence. Resistance is inevitable. And the South lost, so it's time to move on.

Based on a major reason the South seceded, I am quite thankful, as a Black man, that the South lost.

The North didn't start the war. The North just didn't recognize the South as a nation. It did not attack a U.S. fort, the CSA did that.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Confederate troops didn't just wake up one day and say, "Hey, I've got an idea about something exciting to do today - let's go attack some sweet and precious guys stationed at Fort Sumter!"
The Union was no sweetheart, but the CSA did attack Ft. Sumter. They were determined to have what they wanted.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
That WAS NOT war until Lincoln's War. Up until the 1860s, war in the Western world had always had civil guidelines. You don't destroy private property, if at all avoidable, you don't kill women and children, etc. Lincoln and Sherman and their "Total War" philosophy changed all of that forever. Hence modern warfare which is utterly depraved and inhumane.

Lincoln could have allowed the Southern states to secede peacefully. He did not have to invade. His shipping of munitions and supplies into Fort Sumter (located in sovereign and independent South Carolina) was a clear act of war, and the shots that were fired by Confederate troops were a justified response to Lincoln's initial act of war.
He didn't allow a peaceful secession, and I, as the descendant of slaves, am glad he didn't. A major part of this war was the desire to keep slavery. The only reason Lincoln freed the slaves was a tactical move.

I can't feel any sympathy for the South.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:28 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post

The crimes committed by the North against the South during the war are certainly well-documented and undeniable. But some Americans have a fascination with themselves as saviors of some kind, or as being on the right side of history. We see this also with the mass killing of German civilians during WWII. As long as the other side was "evil," such acts get a total pass even if civilians were the target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.