Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 09:58 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
neither do those places drop below freezing as often as the US South does, which is quite often considering much of it averages lows in the 30s.

Jaguars??? Ocelots??? WTF is up with you?

Jaguars have never inhabited the south, or never will. the only part of "the south" tips of Texas. and that is the jaguars former range, formerly jaguars inhabited The US only here in Southern CA (coastal and desert), the Southwest and a bit of Texas, and that is it, Jaguars have never or never will be seen in Georgia, or alabama, or florida, just stop.

same with ocelots their range only extends up to Mexico

tell me this if the south was actually the subtropical paradise you argue it was and will become, why is it that the Jaguars former range in the US extended only from here in Coastal CA to Texas and did not continue to the rest of the south and down into florida?

certaintly it wasnt the cold and daily winter conditions characteristic of these regions of the US South that stopped Jaguars from inhabiting the south, right?

what else could it be? oh yeah that's right, Jaguars decided to stick to their NATURAL WARM CLIMATE RANGE of Southern CA --> Southern Texas, instead of crossing to the full blown tropical conditions of Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Southern Carolina etc.

so yeah that naturally warm climate of the south would have been to warm for those poor Jaguars, Jaguars in the Humid Amazonian Heat, or Dry Southwestern Heat wouldnt of survived the, might i say too warm, conditions of the US South.
Just read this: Jaguar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In 1843, Rufus Sage, an explorer and experienced observer recorded jaguar present on the headwaters of the North Platte River 30–50 miles north of Long's Peak in Colorado. Cabot's 1544 map has a drawing of jaguar ranging over the Pennsylvania and Ohio valleys. Historically, the jaguar was recorded in far eastern Texas, and the northern parts of Arizona and New Mexico. However, since the 1940s, the jaguar has been limited to the southern parts of these states. Although less reliable than zoological records, Native American artifacts with possible jaguar motifs range from the Pacific Northwest to Pennsylvania and Florida
Jaguars lived all throughout the South in the past, from East Texas, all the way to Florida, where warm enough conditions were present. Such warm conditions, as indicated by the article, are found as far north as Ohio. Just one of the many things that prove the true, warm nature of the Eastern US during winter. The absence of jaguars in many of these areas is due solely to hunters and poachers.

Same with Ocelots:Ocelot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The ocelot once inhabited chaparral thickets of the Gulf Coast of south and eastern Texas, and could be found in Arizona, Louisiana, and Arkansas. In the United States, it now ranges only in several small areas of dense thicket in South Texas and is rarely sighted in Arizona. On November 7, 2009, an ocelot was photographed in the mountains of Cochise County, Arizona. This was the first such verifiable evidence of the feline's presence in the state.[16] In February 2011, the Arizona Game and Fish Department confirmed the sighting of another ocelot in the Huachuca Mountains of southern Arizona.[17]

The remnant U.S. ocelot population in south Texas has declined from 80-120 individuals in 1995 to less than 50 in recent years, with about half of ocelot deaths resulting from automobile accidents.Most surviving Texas ocelots are in the shrublands remaining at or near the Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge near Brownsville, where only 30-35 animals remain.
If not for human alterations on the environment, those two cats would still be roaming the South in large numbers.

Again, the South truly is a warm subtropical region, and much of that is due to the warm influence of the Gulf, which allows warm, maritime conditions to extend even to the Great Lakes regions. This time of "frequent" cold and freezing is due solely to the Cold Epoch, and nothing more. In truth, the South features environments telling of the true warmth such as...

Subtropical rainforests, dominated by broadleaf evergreens:
Coastal South Carolina: http://www.natgeocreative.com/comp/SP/091/65354.jpg
Coastal Georgia:http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mZ6EEnXPfD...itime+147a.jpg
Florida:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-w8m8nur8g1...0/IMG_4394.JPG
Coastal Texas:http://static.inaturalist.org/photos...jpg?1412171230

Coral reefs:
http://cruisingsea.com/wp-content/up...SCAYNE-BAY.jpg

Mangrove ecosystems lining the entire coastline, from Texas to Florida, and then up to Georgia:
http://etc.usf.edu/clippix/pix/black...ark_medium.jpg

Nowhere else in the CONUS can you grow tall, healthy coconut palms outdoors but in areas of the South, specifically in the Florida Peninsula, and in much of coastal Texas. Maybe even the Delta of Louisiana can grow them too:
http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/images...nd_coconut.jpg
http://thumb9.shutterstock.com/displ...-145552672.jpg

Forget just subtropical crops like cotton, rice, and citrus; in large areas of the South, you can cultivate mangoes, papayas, bananas, sugar cane, and other such tropical crops without such problems, even to a commercial scale, as has been done with sugar cane.

Quote:
a record low of 6 F, does not classify as "Paradise" , most certainly not a Subtropical Paradise, just considering that it has gotten as cold as 6 F, makes me think that 30s lows are a common thing there in winter no? and 20s occur every winter, i am wrong?
The 6F was an aberration due to the Cold Epoch, and nothing else. Freezing temps and below only occur at most a handful of times in large areas of the South, and even when they occur, temps quickly warm up to pleasant levels. Majority of winter lows in the South, especially coastal areas, are in the 40F and 50F range. Far inland, highly elevated, and/or northern areas of the region is where 30F nights become more common place.

Quote:
How about colder weather than that.

Weather History for Atlanta Dekalb, GA | Weather Underground

The next day had a high of 10 F, not to different than the lows of this weeks blizzard.

Jan of 2010 wasn't to different either.

Or more recently
http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html

And the northeast has a mild winter compared to Alaska, so...
Another aberration due to the Cold Epoch, and nothing more. Also, Atlanta is a highly elevated, and mountainous city, and thus will see quite cool weather relative to much of the South.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 01-26-2015 at 11:03 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 09:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
That's debatable.

The "is Maryland a southern state?" thread went on for almost 200 pages though so I won't debate that here LOL
That was because that page was take over by two trolls looking to cause trouble. This site has a lot of trolls lately, the moderators need to clean it up.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:19 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
That's debatable.

The "is Maryland a southern state?" thread went on for almost 200 pages though so I won't debate that here LOL
Yeah that's true. Actually MD and DE are the furthest north southern states. They are south of the contiguous 48 states center point outside of Lebanon, KS.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
That was because that page was take over by two trolls looking to cause trouble. This site has a lot of trolls lately, the moderators need to clean it up.
MD and DE are really southern states. Most of the people in MD don't want to admit to that because they're a blue state and want to identify with the northeast. The geographic center of the contiguous 48 states if you draw a line due east it will go to southern PA just north of the southern border. Everything north of this is the north and everything south of this is the south which means MD and DE are southern states. I know the truth is painful for some people but they can't argue the facts.

Here is the northern border of MD: 39° 43'N.

Here is the contiguous geographic center outside of Lebanon, KS: LAT. 39°50'.

As you can see the northern border of MD is south of that center which puts the whole state of MD in the southern U.S. (the contiguous 48 states). If you look at the geographic center of the U.S. which includes Alaska that center point moves up to SD. I just look at the lower 48.

Geographic center of the contiguous United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-26-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
MD and DE are really southern states. Most of the people in MD don't want to admit to that because they're a blue state and want to identify with the northeast. The geographic center of the contiguous 48 states if you draw a line due east it will go to southern PA just north of the southern border. Everything north of this is the north and everything south of this is the south which means MD and DE are southern states. I know the truth is painful for some people but they can't argue the facts.

Here is the northern border of MD: 39° 43'N.

Here is the contiguous geographic center outside of Lebanon, KS: LAT. 39°50'.

As you can see the northern border of MD is south of that center which puts the whole state of MD in the southern U.S. (the contiguous 48 states). If you look at the geographic center of the U.S. which includes Alaska that center point moves up to SD. I just look at the lower 48.

Geographic center of the contiguous United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Don't really care what is or isn't the south, USA is still USA to me, everyone place is the same with a few subtle differences people are people everywhere you go some are friendly and some are rude, its all the same to me.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Did you guys (or rather "y'all") know that the panther has the largest number of English synonyms of any English word? There are over 40 names in English for the panther.

Cougar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Panther (Panthera pardus, Panthera onca ) - Animals - A-Z Animals - Animal Facts, Information, Pictures, Videos, Resources and Links

Old 01-26-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Did you guys (or rather "y'all") know that the panther has the largest number of English synonyms of any English word? There are over 40 names in English for the panther.

Cougar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Panther (Panthera pardus, Panthera onca ) - Animals - A-Z Animals - Animal Facts, Information, Pictures, Videos, Resources and Links
Thank God this is not another is this place the South or not post, Americans are obsessed with the South... It is kinda entertaining and silly but funny and stupid at the same time to watch people argue about non sense

Old 01-26-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Don't really care what is or isn't the south, USA is still USA to me, everyone place is the same with a few subtle differences people are people everywhere you go some are friendly and some are rude, its all the same to me.
Yeah I know but I hate it when some people try to make MD the north when it's not.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Thank God this is not another is this place the South or not post, Americans are obsessed with the South... It is kinda entertaining and silly but funny and stupid at the same time to watch people argue about non sense
I'm obsessed with getting it right. I just beat 'em with the facts. The facts can't be argued. Those dang pesky facts.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:28 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,324,621 times
Quote:
a record low of 6 F, does not classify as "Paradise" , most certainly not a Subtropical Paradise, just considering that it has gotten as cold as 6 F, makes me think that 30s lows are a common thing there in winter no? and 20s occur every winter, i am wrong?
30s and 20s are fine if it isnt raining. Also it only gets that low for less than a week.
Its not the definitive sort of winter weather.
I dont like when it gets that low either but it isnt often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.