Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 04:55 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
My girlfriend from Texas is moving with me in 2 months to Connecticut. Southern girl moving north!
I can understand why she'd want to move there. During most months, the entire Eastern Seaboard exhibits all of the climatic characteristics of a Mediterranean fishing village on the northern coast of Tuscany, except there is a bit more humidity in the air, which actually is a rellief from the chilly breezes that are sometimes present. In fact, due to the region being on approximately the same parallel as the Southern Oregon coast, it enjoys identical temperatures year-round, only with less of the rains and sea fogs.

Many will disagree, but they're just brainwashed by Big HVAC, which has peddled lies about the region for years in order to sell air conditioners to this highly populated region.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:35 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,322 times
What is big HVAC? LOL.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:59 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
What is big HVAC? LOL.

Heating ventilating and air conditioning systems.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:09 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
What is big HVAC? LOL.
The Rheem/Ruud industrial complex.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:49 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Non-severe? Id consider tornadoes and hurricanes and flooding very severe. Sunshine percentages for most of the south is around 60%, which isnt that great, and can be less than some northern states (ie MN) in all honesty. And after a rainfall in the south, the humidity soars, and makes the already-nasty air even more nasty. I lived in TN, I know this first hand. Its awful.
With the exception of the portion known as the "Dixie Alley," the risk of any real tornadoes in the South is so low that they aren't worth worrying about. As for flooding, no, minor, run-of-the-mill floods that only inundate low-lying streets don't count; the risk of real, major flooding in the South is no higher than the risk in other areas of the country, and in fact, can even be lower, as the lush, swampy vegetation in much of the region helps to soak up the water like a sponge. Hurricanes are among the safest of natural disasters in terms of avoiding the effects; you get lots of prep time to evacuate, or fortify the residence to the point that safety is guaranteed. Its so safe that even hurricane parties can be thrown.

No, if the rainfall/thunderstorm was intense, well-developed, and long-lasting enough, then the air will be a lot cooler, and more refreshing, in spite of the humidity, due to the lowered temperatures. Some of the most comfortable air I ever felt was in the South right after a good, soaking thunderstorm.

Quote:
The south doesnt "de-humidify", its still humid, just with cooler temps, which helps mask the humidity. For instance, 50 degrees with 70% humidity feels ok, but 90 degrees with 70% feels puke-a-licious. And all of the south, spare most of Florida, sees snow. And youre correct that it melts fast, but its gotta be freezing and below to get snow, and thats cold!
The South dehumidifies during the cool season in the sense that dew points, and humidity decrease from summer levels due to Canadian cool fronts, allowing for the refreshingly mild sunny days, with crisp air.

Only far inland, norther, and/or highly elevated areas of the South see regular snowfall. In the rest of the region, snow, or winter precipitation of any kind, is a matter of generations.

Quote:
The north can and does get hot in summer, but the temps that we see are normal down south. Thats why you guys laugh at NYC when they get into the 90s and have heat warnings. You guys laugh and say "thats everyday down south!" And while it does get hot from time to time up north, its only for a few days (3-4 usually), then it cools back off nicely, sometimes down into the 50s and 60s, which is something the south doesnt see hardly ever. And the south's climate is definitely not Mediterranean, its humid sub-tropical. Quite the difference between, say, San Diego and Orlando.
I never disputed that the heat of the South is more consistent than up North; I merely stated that many areas of the country, especially the Northeast and Midwest, can get the same summer temp magnitudes as the South, only for those areas to get far colder winters. The heat of the South is more consistent, but its yearly temp range is not as great as that seen in the Northeast, Midwest, and even parts of the West, making for a climate that is quite easy to adjust to.

I never said that the South has a Mediterranean climate; I simply stated that the presence of plentiful mild, sunny days that the South sees during winter is not unlike what is seen in the Mediterranean(in reference to the geographic area). But, in all honesty, the South, being a humid subtropical climate, would be more comparable to other pleasant subtropical regions, such as North India, and Eastern South Africa.

Quote:
The Appalachians are pretty indeed! As you said, they cant touch the Tetons, etc, out west, but theyre nice. The fall colors there are pretty decent, but weak compared to the north, and even areas out west. Have you ever seen the aspens in CO when they change? Its a sight to behold. Texas Hill Country? Its not even really worth mentioning. Most states have areas like that. Maybe not with quite as much rock, but height? Definitely. I love the Ozarks, have visited them many times. Its a beautiful area to be sure, but nothing like you find out west.
I will reiterate, the Appalachians aren't as tall as the western ranges, but they have their own unique appeal that those Western ranges don't capture at all, including the worn, ancient feel, and jungle-esque experience. The fall colors of the Appalachians reflect a spectacular Southern spin on the whole regime, a beautiful mixing of the green subtropical look with the Northern-style reds, yellows, and oranges. The Aspens are beautiful, but their fall color is quite monotone compared to the Appalachians. The Ozarks, along with the Texas Hill Country, all are great for the aforementioned reasons.

Quote:
What you touch base on here I agree with. What you describe are one of the truly unique areas of the country. There are swamps, etc, in other states, but the wildlife in and around the swamps and bayous is truly awesome, and one of my favorite things about the deep south. The rest of the deep south I dont find attractive much.
Glad to see that we have something in common.

Quote:
Every area of this country has large varieties of flora and fauna, the south is not unique in that aspect whatsoever. Some of the wildlife (ie crocs, pythons) is unique, but then again every area of the country has unique wildlife. Jaguars roam all the way up into MN, but are maily concentrated out west. Lizards also range all over the country, even way up north. Javalinas range all the way west, too.

Once again, the south is not unique here. Every area of the country has wildly varying flora, many unique to that area only. For instance, the Saguaro cactus here in AZ could never survive down in TN or GA.
I never disputed that other regions have their own unique flora, and fauna, but I should have been more specific; what I should have said is that the concentration of unique flora, and fauna in the South is greater than that of other regions; the South has more flora, and fauna that can't be seen elsewhere than any other part of the country. In addition, the flora and fauna is quite diverse, with an amalgamation of eastern, western, northern, native southern, and even tropical American species found nowhere else in the country.

Quote:
There are cold hardy tropical plants that can survive up north, too. Most people dont know that, but I knew people in Chicagoland that planted cold-hardy palms that could survive the winter.

Same goes for northern states. There are also cold hardy palms, which you can see planted all the way up into British Columbia. Granted, the south can definitely support far more non-native palms than the north can, but since we're talking about non-native palms, then I figured Id mention that the north can also support some, too.
Those extremely cold hardy palms are nothing special, being able to survive in the Arctic Circle. The South, on the other hand, not only can grow all those palms and plants, the region can also sustain lots of tender subtropical/tropical vegetation, from rice to citrus, to sugar cane, to the many varieties of broad-leaf evergreens and palms, to even bananas, mangoes, papayas, and star fruit. Even plants from the equatorial regions, the most tender plants on Earth, such as lipstick palms, and durian, can grow only in the South in the CONUS.

Quote:
Jazz, blues and hip hop are definitely all over the place. Blues is king in Chicago, and Jazz is also wildly popular there, too. Hip hop from the south is the absolute WORST. It should be banned if you ask me, its that bad. Leave the hip hop to NYC and LA please! Id agree that places like Miami and NOLA have a very unique vibe that you cant find many other places. Id also stick my head out a bit and also say Savannah does, too. But most soutehrn cities like ATL and Charlotte are bland, and not really unique in many aspects. Food down in the deep south is good, no arguing that. But once again, the south isnt unique here! Most areas of teh country have their own food culture, and IMO, its ALL good!
It was the South that had the distinct flavor, style, and vibe to create those music genres(Jazz, and Blues), or contribute heavily to the origins of such genres(Hip Hop). Southern Hip Hop is the worst? Gucci Mane, 2 Chainz, Ludacris, Travis $cott, Lil Wayne, DJ Khaled, and several others all would disagree with that.

Its not just New Orleans, and Miami that have interesting, unique vibes; pretty much all the coastal cities of the South, like Corpus Christi, Houston, Mobile, Tampa, Daytona Beach, and Charleston have unique, dynamic vibes that words just can't describe, which comes with them all being cities on a warm, subtropical coastline. In addition, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, and other large Southern cities away from the coast also have unique, interesting vibes as well. To say otherwise would be silly.

Quote:
Nonsense. The party scene in CA can rival anything down south. Partying in NYC is also world class, but Ill say way more "sophisticated" than Miami. They dont need Cubans or Puerto Ricans or superficial blondes with fake ta-tas in South Beach to show the world they can party.
No, the South, especially the Coastal South, just has a type of fun, and flair in the festivities, and parties that other regions don't quite capture quite as well. Those other regions may know how to party, but the South knows how to PARTY, and throw it all down, a trait that probably manifests from a warm, subtropical/tropical setting. Rio de Janerio can definitely testify for that.

Quote:
The south does have some fantastic architecture. So does NYC. So does Chicago. So does Detroit. No difference here. In all honesty, northern architecture in the big cities makes most of the south look as exciting as bare drywall. Joking aside, places like St. Augustine have fantastic architecture. Most of the south? No. No. No. Even most of the homes are... yawn. And saying most southern cities are "walkable"? I would completely disagree. The south cant touch the north's cities in that aspect. Miami or Atlanta cant compare to Boston, NYC, Chicago. Theres just no denying that.
The historic architecture of the South is yet another manifestation of the flamboyance, extravagance, and flair that results from a warm, subtropical setting. As beautiful as the historic architecture is up North, and in the Midwest, I find them too bold and dreary compared to the colorful, extravagant historic architecture of the South. And its not just cities like Charleston, Savannah, St. Augustine, New Orleans, Galveston, and San Antonio that have such distinct historic architecture, cities like Houston, Tampa, Miami, Dallas, and Atlanta also have very distinct historic areas, and constructs, a lot more than people would like to have you believe. The same sort of flair holds true for the homes and residences constructed in all of those cities.

As far as walkability, I already stated that Southern cities haven't achieved the urban renaissance to the same extent that the other regions have. However, what I believe is that once the South reaches that sufficient state of urbanity, just the uniqueness of the style, as well as the sheer revolutionary aspect, of advanced mass transit, with hardcore pedestrian infrastructure, existing in a Southern city would spark lots of interest, as people would be willing to see the unique spin the South take on with the whole "walkability" regime. Imagine a well developed Maglev system existing in Houston, Dallas, or Miami. That would be epic.

Quote:
Thats a small portion of the south you mention. And place like Savannah, etc, get snow and ice storms and tornadoes in winter... thats not Mediterranean climate at all. The rest of the south is far too cold in winter and too hot in summer to be classified as Mediterranean.
Snow and ice storms are merely occasional, a matter of generations in the Coastal South especially, just like they are in the Mediterranean Basin, or in other humid subtropical paradises, such as North India, and Eastern South Africa. Real tornadoes are quite infrequent as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Warmth and sunshine don't automatically equal Mediterranean.

What is a mediterranean climate?

Out of the very few areas/countries where the Mediterranean climate exists, only one in the US has it, and it's California, specifically Southern California.
Again, I never referred to the South as having a Med climate pattern; I said that the plentiful mild sunny days during winter is a trait the South shares in common with other warm regions of the world, one of which happens to be the Med (as in, the basin including Southern Europe, and North Africa).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
OP, how long are you going to push this weird agenda? And to what end? Ever since I first started an account on this site a little over a year ago, this is all I ever see you post about. The posts are practically scripted at this point... a few slight variations in the wording, but always the same message: "humid-subtropical paradise etc, etc, ad nauseum".

I don't get it. Do you own and operate some Gulf coast resort? You are very driven with this subject. Initially I wasn't going to post in this thread. I figured it would die out quickly, but the fish have been biting so I figured I'd ask.

I'm sure that you're well aware by now that I totally disagree with you about this topic, and I no longer wish to debate it with you since your mind is firmly made up... but I'm genuinely curious why you are so passionate and persistent with pushing this issue.
I just feel that its time that for people in the US to start waking up, and reap all the benefits of the awesome, subtropical region they have in the South. If the US utilizes the South to full potential, it can have its own answer to awesome cities in the tropical/subtropical world, such as Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Buenos Aires; the US would finally have completely walk-able, and urban subtropical cities with efficient infrastructure, and amenities, just like in the other world cities named.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The best thing about the south are the women. OMG, they literally throw themselves at you.

Why can't women be like that everywhere? :-)
The women in the South are gorgeous, without a doubt. The humidity seems to have a youthful effect on the skin, and the warm climate brings out the personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
At one point he was saying that measures were being taken to clear the water off Galveston Island, making it a tropical island paradise.
The more I look at the water, and coastal environment of Galveston, the more that I feel that the quality and color of the water just isn't natural at all. I believe alterations on the Mississippi River flow, along with the effects of industry along the Gulf Coast, contribute to the current state of Galveston's water. And whether or not the water color is natural, we do have the technology to fix it; such technology has already been implemented in the beaches of China, many of which have murky water like Galveston, clearing up the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Looks like there are TWO threads with the same title... And they're both locked.

Ridiculous.
Those people just couldn't handle the true facts I was dishing out to them; they couldn't take the own-age. That's why they closed the threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Well OP, here you have it. Your thread has resulted in a pi$$ing match over which region steals other regions' women.

Oh C-D... more entertaining than a monster truck rally.
Honestly, CD is more entertaining than Youtube these days, and it has definitely filled the role that TV has played before.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:30 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
^ This character is a good joke I guess, though I'm amazed that someone has enough time in his/her day to keep it up with the voluminous prose (though much is cut and pasted).

Old 01-22-2015, 10:00 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Unabashed boosterism on one end and petty region bashing on the other. Let the good times roll.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:52 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Unabashed boosterism on one end and petty region bashing on the other. Let the good times roll.
That's what 98% of the conversations are on City-Data. When I'm in the mood to argue I come in here.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:47 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,489 times
[quote]I never disputed that other regions have their own unique flora, and fauna, but I should have been more specific; what I should have said is that the concentration of unique flora, and fauna in the South is greater than that of other regions; the South has more flora, and fauna that can't be seen elsewhere than any other part of the country. In addition, the flora and fauna is quite diverse, with an amalgamation of eastern, western, northern, native southern, and even tropical American species found nowhere else in the country. [quote]

This simply isn't the case. While I will agree that the coastal south does get a slightly undeserved rep of having unbearable weather, it is more tolerable than the inland areas. However, only the southern states of Florida and Texas have a high amount of "endemism", or flora and fauna unique to that area. The actual title would go to 1. California and 2. Hawaii.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:10 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Those two things are pretty much the hallmark of C-D forum posting. It's sadly comical. Kind of the same form of low-brow entertainment that Jerry Springer and the like provided in the 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.