Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 02:05 PM

371 posts, read 426,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Maybe Africa? idk...

I wish there was a developed country in Africa. Visiting Africa was the first time where I felt like the mainstream. It was really nice to be the majority in a country. I thought to myself, white people in America must be living the life on a daily basis. No racism, when someone treats you badly, you know it is yourself and not the color of your skin. It was a nice 10 day trip to Africa, but I cannot live their because I am not used to that standard of living, and my industry isn't in Africa. Maybe if I owned oil refineries...

Old 01-23-2015, 02:09 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
Greetings all,

Where can an upper middle class african american male who recently graduated college live in the US free of prejudice, racism, ostricism, police stereotyping, police brutality, and a negative vibes that scream, "you do not belong"?

Orange County is definitely not it.
Culver City seems to be a good fit, but I do not know about the police stereotyping business.
Hollywood?
Outside of socal?

Are there any all black, or all minority neighborhoods in the US that the cops do not micro police or instigate crimes when there is no crime going on.

List them please.
Ironically, while I don't think Orange County is a place where you can live free of all of the things you mentioned, I actually had a great time living there when I was a recent college graduate. I lived in Newport Beach, where I was told it was a horrible place to be a black man, especially a big, 22-year-old black man. So I was very apprehensive the first time I encountered a Newport Beach cop. I was walking into a 7-Eleven and he was walking out - and he was a black man. We did the "brother nod" thing and went our separate ways.

Only time I ever got closer than 6 feet to an Orange County police officer.

Anyway, as cool as that was, I don't think there is anywhere in this country that fits your requirements. You just have to find a place where that bs is minimal and live your life. You have to shrug off the microaggressions by thinking that you're superior to the racist punks and pigs and fight the more insidious disrespect and denial of rights as much as you can, using soft techniques and, if necessary, harder ones. Other than that, live, earn money, find a life partner, raise kids in a righteous manner and take care of yourself and them. You'll most likely end up ahead of the game.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I can only think of Toronto, Canada... That was a place where my skin color was not introduced to me.
I love Toronto. Wish I could live there someday. Only problem with that place is that it's so damn cold...........

Old 01-23-2015, 02:15 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,798 times
Quote:
I wish there was a developed country in Africa. Visiting Africa was the first time where I felt like the mainstream. It was really nice to be the majority in a country. I thought to myself, white people in America must be living the life on a daily basis. No racism, when someone treats you badly, you know it is yourself and not the color of your skin. It was a nice 10 day trip to Africa, but I cannot live their because I am not used to that standard of living, and my industry isn't in Africa. Maybe if I owned oil refineries...
There are developed countries in Africa? What are you saying.... Ghana, South Africa, Nigeria? Go to Accra it's very developed.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:16 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
In the 20 century, the number of public Klan rallies/parades which took place in the Atlanta area was larger than the number that other major metros experienced collectively.
You still on this trip? LOL

Quote:
So far in the 21st century, the same has held true for the Atlanta area compared to other major metros collectively. This isn't an opinion, this is a fact.
How many of these have occurred in 21st century Atlanta, and how many have occurred in other major metros? Let's see the numbers.

Quote:
Live in peace when very few major metros actually top the racially intolerant white populace in the Atlanta area pound for pound. Yeah OK.
You actually think these things are mainly attended by Atlantans? You DO know Atlanta is the state capital and thus parades and rallies are attended by people from all over the state, and even from other states, right?

No Black person in Atlanta has any reason to be suspicious of serious threats from the Klan in 2015--point blank period.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's my dream town, actually. The wife has been harassing me to get us there for years now.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:19 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Spend some time in Barbados if you want to experience a overwhelmingly black, comfortably middle-class country.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:21 PM

93,337 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I love Toronto. Wish I could live there someday. Only problem with that place is that it's so damn cold...........
If you are single, they got some fine women though. When I was in the Army at Fort Drum NY, a lot guys would meet their women in Toronto and Ottawa actually, if they went to Canada.

Anyway, it is a great city.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:23 PM

93,337 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Spend some time in Barbados if you want to experience a overwhelmingly black, comfortably middle-class country.
This is true and it has one of the highest literacy rates in the world.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:46 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is true and it has one of the highest literacy rates in the world.
Yes. There's plenty of developed, plurality or majority-black Caribbean islands (Barbados, Bermuda, Bahamas, US Virgin Islands, etc). The problem is, tourism drives the economy for pretty much all of them, so I'm guessing there's not a lot of diversity regarding jobs. And on top of that, unless you REALLY like spending every day at the beach, there's probably far fewer amenities than what you're used to since each island is so small and has relatively few people.

One option you might want to consider is Puerto Rico. It's a true melting pot because people of all sorts of backgrounds (Spanish, Taino, mulatto) live and work in nearly perfect harmony. Race is virtually a non-issue. The standard of living isn't as high as what you might want, but it's higher than virtually all of sub-Saharan Africa, and is more self-sufficient than most English-speaking Caribbean islands. Many (if not most) of the locals speak English (most at least passably) due to its status as a US commonwealth, but having even a passing knowledge of Spanish would be a plus. I don't think those of (visible) African descent are a majority, but still make up a considerable percentage of the population... but due to the Latin American culture being far more colorblind than that of the US, maybe that might not matter so much to you. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.