Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 1,868 times

Advertisements

Hello and thanks in advance for reading and any info/suggestions you are able to contribute to me.
I have felt an urge to leave my home state of Wisconsin for quite a while. I've done a lot of research on different places, but am overwhelmed/conflicted with the different factors.
Reasons I want to move include:
The cold.
The cold. (yes, i'll say it twice)
Lack of sunshine/dead winter months
The culture (a little packers/badgers obsessed and just a bit too much of old school small town thinking)
Just all a little to familiar.

That's my perspective and WI has a lot of good qualities too, but these are just things I've lived with that aren't so hot (haha). For as much as I always saw myself leaving, I get why people get caught up in staying where they're from. But there's a million reasons not to do something right?
Things I'd like in a new place would be:
Warmth and a bit of humidity actually (feels cozy to me/nowhere super hot)
Maybe some very mild seasons and maybe a place that gets a touch of snow but no more.
Sunshine, but also some nice rain now and then.
Mountainous area or rolling hills/nice views
Outdoorsy options
Beach/ocean would be very nice.
And a nice city with a vibrant culture. Maybe a place I could ditch my car. Affordable.
A good tourism scene (hotel jobs)
And lastly a place that maybe has good accessibility to WI.

Yes there are a lot of factors I listed and it's not realistic to put so many together. That's why I want help. So if you have suggestions or anything on a place that fits a good portion of what I'm looking for please share and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 05:30 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Charleston SC would tick off a good number of the your criteria. Climate, culture, tourism, compact urban area (historic section) for getting around carless, outdoor activities and of course the beach/ocean.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:15 AM

93,413 posts, read 124,084,833 times
LA fits most of the criteria, but it is tough to think of a place that meets all of the criteria.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 AM

448 posts, read 813,761 times
Quote:
And lastly a place that maybe has good accessibility to WI.
There's no where that meets your criteria that is also close to WI. If you want to leave the cold of winter, you're going to have to move many hundreds of miles away from Wisconsin.

My first thought was Virginia or North Carolina. Milder climate, humid (but not crazy so), not far from the Appalachians or the Atlantic and most cities aren't too far from an airport to fly back to WI for holidays, etc.

OP, do you have a preferred city size? That might help people with recommending something more specific for you.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Charleston SC would tick off a good number of the your criteria. Climate, culture, tourism, compact urban area (historic section) for getting around carless, outdoor activities and of course the beach/ocean.
That does sound pretty good! Drove there with family when I was a bit younger, have good memories of the place.
Thanks!

Old 01-23-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
My first thought was Virginia or North Carolina. Milder climate, humid (but not crazy so), not far from the Appalachians or the Atlantic and most cities aren't too far from an airport to fly back to WI for holidays, etc.

OP, do you have a preferred city size? That might help people with recommending something more specific for you.
That sounds about right. I don't think I'd wanna live somewhere too big like LA or Chicago even though I like being in big cities. I've lived in Milwaukee (almost 600k) and like it there but doesn't meet my criteria. I think the other factors are more important. For instance I've considered Charlotte as well as hilton head island in sc. I'd be happy to hear whatever city you can make a claim for in the areas you've mentioned.
Thanks!

Old 01-23-2015, 09:42 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
How about Asheville, NC? Sounds about right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.