Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:59 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,796,218 times

Advertisements

This may turn into a long rant, but I will do my best to keep it together .

Right now my family and I live in a red, hot state. We hate it here. The summers are unbearable, the politics are not agreeable to us (please no politicall responses, just describing my situation/feelings), low quality of education, it's hard to make friends and so on. We want to move to a blue state (very intrigued by the Pacific Northwest), where we believe we will have more in common with people, make true friends, and just in general, be happier. The only problem is that I have generalized anxiety and blue states are in the north and have long and often gloomy winters, which could make things worse for me. We are now considering moving back to central Texas (tiny liberal sea of Texas), but my husband's entire family lives there and after talking with them today and listening to that emotional roller coaster, I just don't think I can handle living somewhere where they can come over several times a month and would be present for every significant event that occurs in our lives.

I am just very confused about what to do. We are hoping to move this summer before the heat sets in, so a decision needs to be made soon so we can get a plan together.

I am really looking to have a nice, serious discussion, so please no rude or mean comments; I don't want to argue with anyone .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 12:02 AM

147 posts, read 228,989 times
I'm not sure what you are asking....you said you live in a hot state but don't want to move to a cold state, there is not much in between I'd say.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:16 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,420,603 times
Denver and Minneapolis are both wonderful blue cities that (a) are very comparable to the Pacific Northwest, (b) have winters that are much sunnier and drier than average for the North, and (c) are more than a day's drive from central Texas.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:44 AM

23 posts, read 39,501 times
Mexico has some pretty progressive areas.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 887,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post

Right now my family and I live in a red, hot state. We hate it here. The summers are unbearable, the politics are not agreeable to us (please no politicall responses, just describing my situation/feelings), low quality of education, it's hard to make friends and so on. We want to move to a blue state (very intrigued by the Pacific Northwest), where we believe we will have more in common with people, make true friends, and just in general, be happier. The only problem is that I have generalized anxiety and blue states are in the north and have long and often gloomy winters, which could make things worse for me. We are now considering moving back to central Texas (tiny liberal sea of Texas), but my husband's entire family lives there and after talking with them today and listening to that emotional roller coaster, I just don't think I can handle living somewhere where they can come over several times a month and would be present for every significant event that occurs in our lives.

I am just very confused about what to do. We are hoping to move this summer before the heat sets in, so a decision needs to be made soon so we can get a plan together.

I am really looking to have a nice, serious discussion, so please no rude or mean comments; I don't want to argue with anyone .
I would find a blue state that is very progressive such as Minnesota and just deal with the winters the way that the Scandinavians do. They use extra bright colors to liven things up, drink aquavit, and find things to do indoors. You will never find the perfect place, just adjust the tradeoffs until you find a place that you can live with. Some negative aspects are better than others...

Alternately, you could find a warm weather state that has a coolish mountain area (North Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia come to mind) where the winters and the politics are not so bad.....

Old 01-18-2015, 06:54 AM

17,625 posts, read 13,438,260 times
If you have seasonal affective disorder then the I might look into the Denver area somewhere close to Boulder.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:14 AM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post

Perhaps another state where it's not necessarily Blue (but has pockets of Blue) as well as a more moderate climate would provide the environment you're looking for. Many find parts of North Carolina to be the answer and I can personally vouch for the Durham-Chapel Hill area which is every bit as liberal as the Pacific Northwest without the high cost of living or dreary overcast weather. Durham-Chapel Hill oh by the way is ranked as the second most educated metro area in the country. Summer can be hot but it lasts three months in it's entirety with at worst three weeks of extreme which isn't bad compared to areas in the Deep South/Florida.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:31 AM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Look into college towns/areas in states with weather that agrees with you.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:55 AM

542 posts, read 1,675,305 times
What about Detroit?

Old 01-18-2015, 11:14 AM

10,297 posts, read 7,882,664 times
I'll second the suggestion of looking at Colorado, and toss in northern New Mexico as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.