Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:43 AM

242 posts, read 1,002,211 times

Advertisements

When you visit www.city-data.com/forum

For Example, Memphis & Seattle, when you visit Memphis forum not many new posts or activity happening.
Where the Seattle forum you have numerous new posts, 1 page and a half, so quite a bit of activity going on.

Is it fair to base the number of new posts on a city activity or progress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 12:50 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWest View Post
When you visit www.city-data.com/forum

For Example, Memphis & Seattle, when you visit Memphis forum not many new posts or activity happening.
Where the Seattle forum you have numerous new posts, 1 page and a half, so quite a bit of activity going on.

Is it fair to base the number of new posts on a city activity or progress?
Is it fair??? Do you mean to compare their "activity or progress" to the number of new posts???

Old 01-19-2015, 12:56 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Some cities may happen to have very very few people on city-data. Other random cities have a few rabid posters who will comment on things and start threads nonstop.

It's fairly random, although I suppose there would be a correlation with new people who might be traveling or moving to that city that would generate traffic.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:36 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Definitely not,

Over the past 10-15 years multiple sites popped up as discussion forums for cities and places. As they grew certain sites attracted posters and are very active for cities like Memphis. All internet searches that would have otherwise directed people to the city-data forums, are directing search results to the more active sites for those specific cities. On top of that there are litterally 1000s of discussion forums that are set up for individual places, which also draw traffic.

Basically if there is a city/state/region that is underserved on this website, it would be more likely that the traffic and discussion for that region grew elsewhere. Using City-data as a template to gauge anything about an area is like reading a 20 year old edition of the "Weekly World News" to understand current events happening now.

.............although I did hear that bat boy moved to Cleveland

Old 01-19-2015, 02:17 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
Im honestly not sure where all the Lafayette people are because this city is growing at a rapid pace and there is a ton of buzz about it online, but certainly not as much here. Theres sooooo much to discuss on a daily basis but its dormant until the occasional person posts to ask about the city.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:30 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
I would kind of think it might be the opposite - lots of unemployed people blowing time on an internet forum. Or number of retirees.

You could possibly tie it to level of education.

I don't think it has a thing in the world to do with how vibrant a location is.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
I would think a lot is driven based on growth and development

would expect a decent correlation as such

Old 01-19-2015, 03:59 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Some cities may happen to have very very few people on city-data. Other random cities have a few rabid posters who will comment on things and start threads nonstop.

It's fairly random, although I suppose there would be a correlation with new people who might be traveling or moving to that city that would generate traffic.
Bingo.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I would take it with a large grain of salt.

Sometimes a forum can get taken over by just a few persistent posters with an no other purpose than to spout their opinion on anything and everything and the topics narrow down to few. Bias towards certain subjects appear and the forum becomes less informational which is what CD is supposed to be all about and more of a debate based on personal opinion.

On the other hand, if a forum has an ongoing thread about the latest developments or posters frequently update the latest information on the city's progress, I would say that is a good indication that the forum is indicative of the activity and development going on in that city.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:40 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I would take it with a large grain of salt.

Sometimes a forum can get taken over by just a few persistent posters with an no other purpose than to spout their opinion on anything and everything and the topics narrow down to few. Bias towards certain subjects appear and the forum becomes less informational which is what CD is supposed to be all about and more of a debate based on personal opinion.

On the other hand, if a forum has an ongoing thread about the latest developments or posters frequently update the latest information on the city's progress, I would say that is a good indication that the forum is indicative of the activity and development going on in that city.
It also seems to vary by region. In a lot of Sun Belt cities, from what I've noticed, most threads are about real estate. In older cities, especially in the NE and Midwest, more threads are related to local current events or more cultural topics. Other cities have a mix of the two or have more threads created by transients or possible transients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.