Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:34 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
Apparently you can. I'd be willing to see how many trolling infractions you get daily. There's no need for argument here, and none of us want. You always try to start things with EVERYONE.

You represent perfectly what I think of Indianapolis and/or Indiana. A guy who is always picked last for sports, jumping in the back "pick me pick me"! And then after years of not getting picked, you take that emotion and turn it into being a dick to everyone to compensate for your lack of ability and lacking personality/character.

Just because I hate Indianapolis and downsize it, i'm not personally attacking you. I really think the city is worthless. But I always say IMO. And i don't take any midwestern city and say chicago trumps it. I have much respect for detroit, minnpls, st. louis, even KC. I would never place Indy on that level.

Steve-o makes really valid points. If his points are against yours, you get mad, then use a defensive mechanism by throwing it on him telling HIM to calm down, when really you're the one who has an extreme inferiority complex and low self-esteem. Peace.
How can you possibly compare Detroit, which is one big ghetto, to Indy?
Also, have to consider that the Indy metro area is much smaller in population than the other cities you mentioned. Want to think worse? Think Des Moines, Quad Cities, Grand Rapids, Springfield (granted they are smaller)and many more!
I would rate Indy at the very least average but probably a 7 out of 10, with 10 being best.

Population (year 2000): 781,870. Estimated population in July 2006: 785,597 (+0.5% change)

Last edited by WildWestDude; 01-09-2008 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:27 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
"Cheap?" "Little boy"? "Worse"? Talking about Indy again, are we? Youre gonna get this thread shut down you know.

Back on topic.... I still think Milwaukee and St. Louis are Chicago's biggest "rivals", if there are any to begin with.
I see that you never replied to my original post towards you. Exactly what I thought.

I'll let you get back to your repetitive cycle of instigation.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:28 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
How can you possibly compare Detroit, which is one big gheto, to Indy?
Also, have to consider that the Indy metro area is much smaller in population than the other cities you mentioned. Want to think worse? Think Des Moines, Quad Cities, Grand Rapids, Springfield (granted they are smaller)and many more!
I would rate Indy at the very least average but probably a 7 out of 10, with 10 being best.

Population (year 2000): 781,870. Estimated population in July 2006: 785,597 (+0.5% change)
Please, don't provoke these trolls. I suppose ignorance really is bliss for them.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:15 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,300 times
Quote:
Beijing barely global as dallas?!?!?!?! hmmmmm. don't know about that one. do you have a college degree? if so, I doubt it's in business or economics.
No I went this summer, I am pretty young, Not even In college. i do Want to go into business though. Shanghai is china's shining star, or that what they want.
Beijing is quickly 'globalizing' itself, but that is all of china. Anyone who want to pick up Mandarin is wasting time. everything is in english and Chinese. I have family there and i do pay attention to the business world, Beijing is prominent but is the 'LA' of China, except not as global.
Shanghai is truly the NY of china, except once again not as global.
They (the shanghainese) call anyone who is not from a shanghai a 'Country man' or I Guess sort of like a 'redneck', 'hill Billy' ,or 'country hick' here.
They have their own special little accent, and it is almost a carbon copy of NYC except in People and skyline.
The Chinese cities are a few steps below their US counterparts.
like this.. now that you mention it:
Shanghai-NYC
Beijing- LA or DC
Guangzhou-Houston
Chongqing- Chicago
Xi'an-San Francisco
Nanjing-Dallas
Harbin-Detroit
Dalian-Seattle
Nanning-Denver
Tianjin-San Diego
Qingdao- Miami
Shenyang- Boston
Urumqi- Phoenix
Macau- Las Vegas

Chinese cities will tend to be bigger, like Qingdao is 5.1 Million, where as Miami's Metro is that big...

Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I see that you never replied to my original post towards you
Well, thanks for being so mature and calling me names and sharing your misperceptions about me.

There, you happy now?

Old 01-10-2008, 11:34 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,303 times
Quote:
What's Chicago's "rival" city. I would say New York for the whole country.

But if you think of New York's rival, you think of Boston. So, Chicago and NYC, isn't really a true "rivalry".

Regionally, it's hard for Chicago to rival anyone. What are you thoughts?

Houston? LA? -totally different type of city
Detroit? - similar geographically and physically...red wings
St. Louis? - cubs/cardinals rivalry, historic rivalry...but stl is too small to compare now
I think the "Second City" tag for Chicago is perfect. It's only real U.S. rival in terms of a bustling, walkable, skyscraper-filled, "big city" city is New York City. But it will always come in second to the Big Apple.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:37 PM

8 posts, read 22,412 times
am not certain what any of you mean by Rival. Chicago is a city that is unique in the U.S. Second only to New York, in a number of ways.The fellow who talks about the growing cities in China hits the mark best. IMHO,

Chicago:
went from a settlement of 500 in 1830 to small city of 30,000 in 1850 to the 5th largest city in the world 1.8 million in 1890. It remained in the top 10 of the World until 1960.

Saint Louis and Milwaukee are suburbs comparatively. And Economically Chicago sits at number two or three with LA, but all three NY LA and Chicago are FAR FAR larger than any other American city economically.

In GDP Chicago is about 500 billion. That means Chicago would be the 18th largest economy in the world, if it were a nation.

Larger than Poland or Turkey or Belgium or Switzerland or Sweden or Greece. Larger than Norway and Denmark and Egypt and Saudi Arabia.

To put the fear of Iran to bed, Chicago's Economy is twice that of all of Iran an about four times that of Pakistan and well you get the picture....

In the Mid 1800's as Chicago boomed and passed Philadelphia to rival New York, New York began annexing other cities to retain its lead in size and stature. New York grew by annexation and migration, Chicago through migration only.

Through this time New York and Chicago battle for political clout, power and prestige. New York press dubbed Chicago that “windy city”: because of its political bluster, not the wind.

Because of its growth in the mid to late 1800’s Chicago was the fastest growing city in American history. By 1890 New York was the largest city in the world and Chicago was number 5.

Chicago is not a major sea port, true, but as of today the combined port facilities in Chicago and South Chicago rank it as the top 20 in the nation. Chicago is arguably the largest non river fresh water port in the world.

Chicago has more draw bridges than any major city in the world.

Chicago’s river and lock system is studied by civil engineers and considered one of the engineering marvels of the world. As the entire Chicago River flow was reversed to flow out of lake Michigan and to the Mississippi system rather than into it.

More of Chicago was destroyed by the fire in 1871 than by the Quake in San Francisco in 1906

The FAA ranks the combined Chicago O’hare- Midway airport operations by far the largest in the world. Dwarfing combined New York - New Jersey operations which are second, In the World.

Over one third of all American rail and truck freight ship through Chicago.

At one time 8 of every 10 cows and almost 9 in 10 hogs was butchered and packaged in Chicago

Until the Asia destroyed our steel industry, steelworks in Chicago and South Chicago produced more steel than Pittsburgh.

Chicago gave birth to the movie industry, until it moved to LA and warm weather.

University of Chicago has the most Nobel Laureates in the world, only behind Cambridge (including professors Einstein and Fermi who were on Staff) Thank you Chicago for Atomic energy, nuclear fission and the Manhattan project.

Both Northwestern and University of Chicago frequent the top 5 of American Universities and University of Chicago has been rated within the top ten of the world.

Around the World Chicago is recognized as only one of ten ALPHA global cities.
Ranked behind New York, London, Paris and Tokyo as a center of art , industry, and Education Etc. and compared to Los Angeles, Frankfurt, Milan and Singapore as the other Alpa World Cities.

For commerce consider some startling comparisons Chicago has:

The largest mercantile trade center in the world
Largest commodities exchange in the World
Largest Nuclear research facility (Fermi lab) in the World
Most fortune 500 headquarters in the world other than New York
More buildings over 100 meters in the US other than New York
Largest commercial city center in the nation behind Manhattan
The single tallest, and 3 of the 5 tallest, buildings in the US.
Second Tallest building in the World and (4 of the top 15)
Tallest building in US under construction
Tallest building in the world (nearly 250 floors) proposed
To compare commercial centers

New York City Manhattan only 350 million sq feet of commercial space
Chicago Downtown only 195 million square feet of commercial space
All of the LA basin 175 million
All of Dallas 148 million
All of Houston 103 million
All of Detroit 75 Million
All of San Francisco and San Jose combined 60 million
All of Minneapolis 40 million
All of Saint Louis 35 million
All of Milwaukee 25 milion
All of Indianapolis 19 million

All of the office space in Detroit, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Milwaukee and Indianapolis combined would fit into Chicago’s.

For the Arts, only the Louvre, New York Metropolitan Art Museum, and the National Gallery in DC have more Master works

For Music The Chicago Symphony is renown only behind the New York Philharmonic.

For Museums, the Oriental Institute is the foremost Egyptology center and leader in natural History in the country

There is no real rival to Chicago. IMHO

Old 01-10-2008, 05:10 PM

151 posts, read 739,580 times
Chicago's rival is the whole state of Wisconsin.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:39 PM

395 posts, read 1,374,903 times
Great stuff chicago-mik. I agree, there is no true rival to chicago except nyc and la.

But I guess there's a difference between cultural/historic rivalry vs economic. I was wanting to see your thoughts on the cultural/historic rivalry.

Boston is NYC's "rival" but boston is a hell of a lot smaller in every aspect.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:23 PM

8 posts, read 22,412 times
I spent time in LA this week.

LA is a rival of Chicago in terms of business and brawn and demographics.

But IMHO there are only two American cities that have a true multi faceted culture, and probably 7 or 8 others that are about 80 % there.

Chicago and NY. are the top two

Heres why....

Both posess world reknown PUBLIC Universities libraries, Symphonies, Technical Museums, Opera companies, Art Museums, Aquariums and Planetariums, Stage and film industries...

Each of the other major American cities lack a one or the other of the above....
Lets look at the East coast....

Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Atlanta and Miami....

Boston and Philli are the closest to NY and Chicago, because they are very broad ethnically and although they all share similar public institutions they are primarily rooted in their place, soley in American history where NY and Chicago reach beyond the US..

DC Atlanta nd Miami, though Cosmopolitan, lack true ethnic diversity and civic identity outside current popular culture. DC rivals NY and Chicago with Museums but suffers from its "American singullarity, (as it should). Atlanta and Miami have become specific cultural icons for African Americans (Atlanta) Miami( Carribean/Hispanic) and lack the public works as grand as the Art institute of Chicago or the Metroploiutan Museum of art in New York.

Don't forget about Public libraries and Universities Where both Philadelphia and Boston come close to Chicago and New York ( DC atlanta and Miami are horrid by comparison)
but are two self or American centric overall..

How about the American Heartland
Minniapolis, Milwaulkee, Detroit, Cleveland,St. Louis, Dallas Houston and New Orleans..

Well all have their traits, but except for Detroit, Cleveland and NewOrleans really lack the vibrance of Boston or Philly or Atlanta et al. The others offer nothing outside of regional identity. You always know your in Texas, whether in Dallas or Houston etc....

IMHO the heartland is really "kid brothers" to Chicago or New York or even.....some even weak sisters to Boston Philly Atlanta etc.....

In the West..
Seatle, Denver, Portland, Phoenix, San Fran, LA and San Diego..

Seattle and San Fran are the most Eastern ( and oldest) and have some great international civic appeal especially San Francisco.. But again we are lacking in Libraries and Museums.

Portland Denver Phoenix and San Diego are merely Milwaukee and Minneapolis once removed...

LA comes the closest, However it lacks true ethnic diversity a real lack of european immigrants(which San Fran and Seattle have) While Chicago and New York both have large Asain and Hispanic (both Mexican and Carribiean) influences (Cchicago more Mexicans than any American City outside of LA....)

LA also has some interestng arts, but limited to visual media and music, not as good with museums and the public works as an Major Eastern city like NY Philly DC or Boston...

So in Summary for Cuture I put the Top American city as New York, displaced in some minor areas at times by Chicago. Primarily because of its international history and roll in the nations founding, and afterall at one time the largest city in the world.

In third comes a tie Los Angeles Boston and DC and San Fran, you can pick your poison. Each lacks something the other poossesses and each fall short of both Chicago and New York.

Fourth by itself is Philadelphia, which has fallen over the years and is likely on par with Dallas and Atlanta or Miami...

The rest of the cities well, does it matter ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.