Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:02 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times

Advertisements

Chicago-mik,

I’m not picking on you or Chicago but you really need to think about your post before you type them. I don’t know where to begin to punch holes in your inaccurate post.

By far, Boston trumps any city in American when it comes to educational institutions. When I think of top universities – Boston and SF come to mind as top tiered. Then the second tier is maybe NY, Philly, DC, Chicago and ATL in which you said DC and Atlanta are horrid by comparison. Really, have you ever heard of Georgetown, George Washington, Georgia Tech or Emory…..

To say DC lacks ethnic diversity. Are you serious? Have you ever been to DC? DC is one of the most diverse places in the U.S. Almost every country in the world has an embassy or office in DC. Every nationality is represented. If anything, there is a perception that Chicago is segregated and racially divided.

As for the arts and culture, Chicago does not rival DC or NY with museums. NY has great museums but there is no comparison to the Smithsonian. Chicago also has a few museums but they are not internationally known like The Met or any one of the Smithsonian’s 19 museums in DC. Have you ever heard of the Air & Space Museum, American Indian Museum, National Portrait Gallery, Hirshhorn Museum or Holocaust Museum? I can keep going.

Have you ever heard of the Kennedy Center or Renwick Gallery? National Symphony Orchestra? American Symphony? Washington Symphony Orchestra? Where do you think all of the politicians and big wigs go to mingle? Back to their cornfields in Iowa or out on the town in DC?

Regardless of what you post, no one thinks of Chicago when it comes to the history of the U.S. It's Boston, NYC, Philly and DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 01:11 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Chicago also has a few museums but they are not internationally known like The Met or any one of the Smithsonian’s 19 museums in DC.

I take it you have never have never heard of the Art Institute? Some of the great paintings of the world reside there, look at their site.

Back to their cornfields in Iowa or out on the town in DC?

Spoken like a true denizen of the Inner belt, sneeringly referring to "fly-over country".

Regardless of what you post, no one thinks of Chicago when it comes to the history of the U.S. It's Boston, NYC, Philly and DC?
WTF is that, but just your own opinion?

Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 PM

395 posts, read 1,374,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
WTF is that about????
I agree, wtf are you talking about?

DC is great and has a plethora of museums. No one's denying that it isnt cultured. I think everyone knows it is.

Chicago is DC x 2.5. Its massive compared to DC and you can find world class world class museums and culture in Chicago...

What is up with the trend of people from DC thinking they are the center of the world and making Chicago or other midwestern cities seem so irrelevant??? Sure DC is great and the CAPITAL of our country, but it's not the central end all say all cultural mecca of this country. NYC and Chicago are THE urban cities of america, if you deny that, then, I guess you never lived in those cities.

No one thinks of Chicago in terms of history of US??? Hmmm maybe 1700s history sure, and revolutionary war, sure, we'll think of nyc, boston and philly, but how about the LAST 200 years!?!

I think YOU need to think about your posts before typing them dear friend of friends. No offense, but without being the capital of the US, DC wouldn't be that great. (plus the majority of people in DC are all suburbanites living in VA or Maryland). Come live in Chicago or NYC to find out what its like to find out what city living is really like.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:44 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
First of all, I was responding to Chicago -mik idiotic post about how Chicago is leading all of these cultural and educational categories. I'm not here to slam Chicago because it's one of my favorite places but some of you need a reality check.

kshe95girl,

I have heard of the Art Institute but do you really think museums in Chicago can compare to the Smithsonian? Come on. DC is the museum and monument capital of the US. Your homerism is blinding you. I also know about Chicago's great history but when you think of the history of our great country, Chicago does not come to mind. It's Boston, NYC, Philly and DC. Revolutionary War anyone? Civil War?

Chitownwarrior,

What does size have to do wiith anything. LA is almost twice (population and land) the size of Chicago but I think Chicago is better. Houston is three times as large with almost the same population but is lacking a true urban core. I never said Chicago is irrelevant and I don't think DC is better or the center of the world. NY and Chicago are urban centers but so is Boston, SF, Philly and DC.

Your last statement is a little desperate. If DC wasn't the Capital, then it wouldn't be great. Hey, guess what, if San Fran did't sit on a hill or if Chicago was on the Rio Grande then it wouldn't be what it is today either. BTW- I used to live in Brooklyn and I stayed in Chicago for a short time, so I know what city living is. Good luck.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 01-30-2008 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-30-2008, 02:24 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Toronto or possibly Hong Kong.

Some US Cities have no US "rivals". Chicago is one of them.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:30 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,275 times
Yeah, Toronto-Chicago. Both cities are similarly sized, located on the great lakes and focused on commerce and trade.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:38 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
My problem with Indy is this: the population figures you give are of Marion County...which is the population of Indy city. It's extremely misleading. I have no problem with downtown Indy, but sadly that's all the "city" is. If you drive 10 mins past downtown, you'll hit some cornfields. And from what ive seen, some farms are included in the city of Indianapolis.

Let's take average Sue for example, from the west coast, an average person who doesn't understand the concept of MSA or city boundaries, and wants to visit a Midwest city other than chicago that's supposed to be hopping. She'll look at population and see 785,000! Wow! The third "largest" city in the midwest! ....please.... (look up midwest in wikipedia, where Indy is flaunted by some poster)

But Indianapolis is far from it, and far from urban. Sure, its leaps and bounds better than it was 10 years ago, but to me, its that city that doesn't deserve city status as other US cities. It's like comparing fazzoli's to an authentic italian restaurant. 7 out of 10? compared to what...other URBAN midwestern cities? No way. Cincinatti, Cleveland, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Detroit, Minneapolis, all are cities that deserve a major city rep, with diverse neighborhoods and districts and cultural molding. Indy doesnt fit that mold. It's surrounded by flat farmland and vast empty land connecting nearby suburbs and towns. The downtown area is deceiving, where there are some cool streets of bars and nightlife and some tall buildings. But what's beyond those buildings? Its lacking in character.

This is why I can't stand Indianapolis, as its a deceiving city, and I just try to let the general public realize this. I can't stand cities that only use their "downtown" as their strong point. Screw downtowns. Screw skylines. Chicago is more than its downtown. NYC is more than manhattan. Its not the sears tower or john hancock or tall buildings that makes chicago cool or city-like, or numbers of fortune 500s, or economic force, its its personality and vibe. The diversity of culture. The numerous elements of life that can be found. Al Capone. Theater. The fire. Haray Caray. That's what makes cities cool. Thats what makes us American.

Indianapolis, to my extent and searching does not have that. Besides Indy 500 or colts, what does it have? What has it brought to the table? I can't think of anything. And it's not just Indy, it's other cities as well. True American cities that have molded our nation. Cities that have moved me since I was a kid, the thought of skiing in Denver, or mission control in Houston, or listening to Jazz in New Orleans, etc. That's where my respect and wonder lie. That's what makes a city a city.

I have to disagree here. IMO, Al Capone does NOT make Chicago cool. Unless Dallas is cool beacuse its where JFK was shot or Detroit because of burning abandoned houses on Devils night.

Haray Carey? Give me a break. I like the cubs, but I'm sorry, Wrigley Field is only cooler than other stadiums because there are single bars within walking distance.

This is not Chicago bashing BTW

Old 01-30-2008, 02:38 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post

kshe95girl,

I have heard of the Art Institute but do you really think museums in Chicago can compare to the Smithsonian? Come on. DC is the museum and monument capital of the US. Your homerism is blinding you.
Homerism? Really?? What an amusing thought. And in this case, I take it as a left-handed compliment.
The Smithsonian is indeed a wonderful place, I never said that it wasnt, The Art Institute is a world-class facility. I studied art history at the Sorbonne for 2 years, so thats just my humble opinion.
Homerism, that is a good chuckle, indeed! I would suggest more homework for you.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Some US Cities have no US "rivals". Chicago is one of them.
You got it!

Old 01-30-2008, 02:42 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,048 times
got to agree with the Toronto-Chicago cross-border rivalry. Just as no other Canadian city can really compare with Toronto (Montreal's totally different), no other big Midwest city can truly rival Chicago.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Haray Carey? Give me a break. I like the cubs, but I'm sorry, Wrigley Field is only cooler than other stadiums because there are single bars within walking distance
If you think Wrigley is only cool because there are bars within walking distance, then I must question your sanity.

Wrigley isnt cool because its the 2nd oldest park in the leagues? The unique ivy covered outfield walls? The hand-operated scoreboard? The first stadium to incorporate an organ player and the 7th inning stretch? There is sooooo much to love about Wrigley!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.