Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 02:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Wrigley is the bomb! so much character and history. I love the neighborhood that it is in, too!
And the people in those bars are always so friendly, whats wrong with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 02:57 PM

395 posts, read 1,374,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I have to disagree here. IMO, Al Capone does NOT make Chicago cool. Unless Dallas is cool beacuse its where JFK was shot or Detroit because of burning abandoned houses on Devils night.

Haray Carey? Give me a break. I like the cubs, but I'm sorry, Wrigley Field is only cooler than other stadiums because there are single bars within walking distance.

This is not Chicago bashing BTW
That's great to disagree with minute details like that. That means you missed the WHOLE POINT. Jesus, of COURSE those aren't the only attributes of chicago, it was an illustration!! Duuuuuuh. How you don't understand that makes me wonder about people's backgrounds on this forum, or their intellectual aptitude. Do people not read between the lines anymore?

Sorry to sound harsh, but this happens A LOT on this forum and is extremely frustrating, where people take small little details that have no significant meaning and "disagree" with them. I think the difference is people that focus on irrelevant details and facts vs. people who look at the big picture.

Huge pet peave of mine....

Old 01-30-2008, 03:00 PM

395 posts, read 1,374,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
First of all, I was responding to Chicago -mik idiotic post about how Chicago is leading all of these cultural and educational categories. I'm not here to slam Chicago because it's one of my favorite places but some of you need a reality check.

kshe95girl,

I have heard of the Art Institute but do you really think museums in Chicago can compare to the Smithsonian? Come on. DC is the museum and monument capital of the US. Your homerism is blinding you. I also know about Chicago's great history but when you think of the history of our great country, Chicago does not come to mind. It's Boston, NYC, Philly and DC. Revolutionary War anyone? Civil War?

Chitownwarrior,

What does size have to do wiith anything. LA is almost twice (population and land) the size of Chicago but I think Chicago is better. Houston is three times as large with almost the same population but is lacking a true urban core. I never said Chicago is irrelevant and I don't think DC is better or the center of the world. NY and Chicago are urban centers but so is Boston, SF, Philly and DC.

Your last statement is a little desperate. If DC wasn't the Capital, then it wouldn't be great. Hey, guess what, if San Fran did't sit on a hill or if Chicago was on the Rio Grande then it wouldn't be what it is today either. BTW- I used to live in Brooklyn and I stayed in Chicago for a short time, so I know what city living is. Good luck.
Word, good points. I was just making sure this wasn't some east coast biased post! I respect your thoughts, and agree my size=better point is irrelevant. You're 100% correct. I say that because there's so many east coasters that don't realize this fact and think of chicago as some dinky hillbilly town. Its a defense mechanism.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:02 PM

they focus on minute details because they cant dissect and parse an intelligent,cohesive rebuttal, thus, no intellect, its a distractive technique meant to draw attention away from the fact that they have an average IQ, at best.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
Word, good points. I was just making sure this wasn't some east coast biased post! I respect your thoughts, and agree my size=better point is irrelevant. You're 100% correct. I say that because there's so many east coasters that don't realize this fact and think of chicago as some dinky hillbilly town. Its a defense mechanism.
Except for those of us accused of "homerism".

Old 01-30-2008, 03:29 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
kshe95,

Every person on this board can be accused of homerism. I think you take offense because many of us don't feel the same way you feel about Chicago and then you and a few others start to throw out irrelevant statements and facts to back up your claims.

How many times have I seen statments claiming that Chicago's beaches are better than Florida or California or the skiing in the Midwest is comparible to Denver. Come on! Stop and take a look at the foundation you are laying. Chicago is a great place. One of the greatest cities in the world. Urbanity at its finest in some parts but it doesn't have to be the best at everything. No city is. Across the board Chicago has something for everybody. I love Chicago because its not NYC.

The difference between your homerism and mine is that you have a hard time wondering why someone would rather live in LA than Chicago. Then you bash LA to prove a point. But I could care less if someone prefers Kalamazoo, Michigan over DC. It doesn't make DC any less of a city. That's why I find it amusing and sad that there is a inferiority complex with many of the Chicago posters on this board. You want to be compared to NYC on so many levels. Why? I think Chicago from the top to the bottom is better than NY. It may not have all the amenities of the Big Apple, but the quality of life is better. Love your city for what it is.

Chitownwarrior,

I doubt people think Chicago is a hillbilly town. Most people on the east coast love and respect Chicago. Go to the New York or DC forum and read what they say when these comparisons come up. It's always positive. I think east coast people in general have an elitist attitude compared to the other regions of the country. If you say "I'm from the Midwest," then they might think of corn fields and hicks but if you say, "I'm from Chicago," that changes the perception right away.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:35 PM

699 posts, read 2,235,660 times
Quote:
I agree, wtf are you talking about?

DC is great and has a plethora of museums. No one's denying that it isnt cultured. I think everyone knows it is.

Chicago is DC x 2.5. Its massive compared to DC and you can find world class world class museums and culture in Chicago...
Chicago is a great city, with as much or a greater amount of this supposed "culture" than DC. But, several things said in this thread are severely "misled" information (horrid libraries and universities? lack of true ethnic diversity? singularity?).

Quote:
What is up with the trend of people from DC thinking they are the center of the world and making Chicago or other midwestern cities seem so irrelevant??? Sure DC is great and the CAPITAL of our country, but it's not the central end all say all cultural mecca of this country. NYC and Chicago are THE urban cities of america, if you deny that, then, I guess you never lived in those cities.
I don't believe anyone thinks that DC is the central end all say all cultural mecca of this country. I don't even think DC was mentioned in this thread really until Chicago-Mik made some disparaging (and not entirely true) remarks about other cities including DC to build up Chicago. Honestly, DC seems to have a pretty low amount of homers on City-Data.

Quote:
I think YOU need to think about your posts before typing them dear friend of friends. No offense, but without being the capital of the US, DC wouldn't be that great. (plus the majority of people in DC are all suburbanites living in VA or Maryland). Come live in Chicago or NYC to find out what its like to find out what city living is really like.
This statement makes no sense. If it wasn't the capital of the US, DC wouldn't even exist, let alone be "great". America has always traditionally wanted a small Central Government, and therefore DC never was the "center of all things" in America like London, Paris, or Rome are to their respective countries, and all Americans should be thankful for that. If our government took resources from other parts of the country and pooled them only in the capital, America would have been no better than their British oppressors during the colonial period.

The suburban thing is true, but you have to remember, DC is only 64 square miles (and its size has been regulated since conception) as opposed to Chicago's 240 or NYC's 470. Not many of the 5 million+ inhabitants can live in the city proper. So, yes, you can say the majority of the people in the DC area are "suburbanites", even though they may live in more dense conditions in the inner suburbs than other city propers.

To the original poster, Chicago is a great city, and I don't think it has any "rivals" nor needs any. I've always enjoyed visiting there. Why does any city need a "rival" except in sports?

Last edited by tenken627; 01-30-2008 at 04:09 PM..

Old 01-30-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
kshe95,

Every person on this board can be accused of homerism. I think you take offense because many of us don't feel the same way you feel about Chicago and then you and a few others start to throw out irrelevant statements and facts to back up your claims.

Can you provide a quote, please?

The difference between your homerism and mine is that you have a hard time wondering why someone would rather live in LA than Chicago. Then you bash LA to prove a point.

Again, where did I make that statement?

That's why I find it amusing and sad that there is a inferiority complex with many of the Chicago posters on this board. You want to be compared to NYC on so many levels.
???? Where do you think I live????? Thats why I posted you need to do your homework before casting aspersions, assumptions, or, as you accused me, generalizations.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:43 PM

Because of DC's size many of the areas that would be in the city if the city could have annexed them are very urban. That's why DC's suburbs like Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Silver Spring, Arlington and Alexandria all have their own urban cores. However, unlike other cities, DC's metro played a major part in the development of the suburbs. There are places in the DC area where you wouldn't be able to tell if its the city or the burbs. Plus the metro has given these places a greater identity and a connection to the city.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:47 PM

It doesn't matter where you live. Next time read my entire post before you make another comment about me being an Inside the Beltway snob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.