Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:18 AM

255 posts, read 757,599 times

Advertisements

Greetings all!

My family and I had our relocation set and were finally ready to make the move when our plans were disrupted. To avoid an annoyingly long post I will just say family and medical issues arose that are making us reconsider our relocation plans for East TN.

My oldest son is in college now and is relocating to Kansas to finish school and my two younger will both be in high school next year so further education is important to us. Because the younger are teens we are interested in a teen friendly area that offers activities and entertainment other than bars, clubs and adult night life. My hubby and I are not into that scene either but a fun-loving outdoor friendly area is desirable. We enjoy everything outdoors from fishing to basketball and camping to shopping and everything in between...we are open to any outdoor activity and would love to try snowboarding as well.

I work from home and hubby is considering starting his own auto body/restoration business wherever we move. We are retired military so we do not object to military towns and prefer to be on the outskirts of major cities. I have Asthma that had gotten out of control here in Florida the past 2 years and hubby has Psoriatic Arthritis, both do not tolerate the humidity/heat very well and our kids have similar issues. We need an area with low humidity and not the long intense summer we experience here in central Florida, although sunny days are welcome.

We are considering and looking into visiting Colorado, Oregon and Washington state so far but are interested in suggestions please. We have time to go visit any possible areas so now we need to research possibilities again. Hopefully we will find our new home soon!

Thanks for your patience and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 02:05 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Colorado Springs may work in terms of the military presence and the weather. I would look into lists made by USAA in regards to best places for veterans.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! We are checking into CS to see if it may be a good fit but do not need to have military close, just not opposed to areas that have them. My main concern is to be livable and friendly for both the kids and adults alike. I am tired of seeing everyone in the house attached to a device because it is too hot/ humid out or it is lacking in activities available. We LOVE to be active outdoors but can't here in Florida. Looking forward to visiting some interesting suggestions! Also going to consult USAA, great idea!

Old 01-18-2015, 06:33 PM

46 posts, read 61,536 times
Default Where in FL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_magination View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! We are checking into CS to see if it may be a good fit but do not need to have military close, just not opposed to areas that have them. My main concern is to be livable and friendly for both the kids and adults alike. I am tired of seeing everyone in the house attached to a device because it is too hot/ humid out or it is lacking in activities available. We LOVE to be active outdoors but can't here in Florida. Looking forward to visiting some interesting suggestions! Also going to consult USAA, great idea!
I'm supportive of wherever makes your family happy. I'm probably leaving Florida, too, but I was struck by nothing outside to do. Agree there are about three summer months (comparable to winter elsewhere) when you have to get your exercise early, but I've been around Florida and have found swimming in public pools, kayaking in streams, ponds, rivers, the gulf, and miles and miles of bike trails ( not to mention hiking). Most days outdoor activity is no problem. I suspect you have teenagers ( having raised a couple myself)

Old 01-18-2015, 06:52 PM

Lily, yes I have teens and should clarify that there is limited activities available in my area. We COULD drive them an hour or two one way to water activities but we are not wanting to do that every weekend so they won't get bored. Also, they are not into Disney anymore so that limits what is in our vicinity. Florida was wonderful for the first 10 years but these past 9 are really getting frustrating. Unfortunately our area is not brimming with friendly people and easy access activities so we are looking for somewhere that better fits our needs for this stage of life. We were so disappointed with our change of plans from TN since we spent so much time there visiting and researching but hope we can find something even better. We never looked at Indiana but will to see if we may like to visit...thanks for suggestion McDonald Indy

Old 01-18-2015, 08:50 PM

5 posts, read 28,522 times
Coming from Florida you may not be keen to think of a place such as Milwaukee, due to it's winters, but in coordination with your families interests in outdoor activities, even they can be viewed as a boon. Milwaukee has all four seasons, and true, some years winter can be a tad harsh, but summer more than makes up for it, and there isn't anything near to the humidity found in Florida.

Situated on Lake Michigan, during the summer there are beaches and multitudes of outdoor festivals and events, athletic and otherwise. There are miles of parks along the lakefront, which I think is one of it's biggest assets! And during the winter you're open to skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, etc. During the fall, my family likes to go hiking. Milwaukee is one of the densest metros in the US, so from downtown, you could drive for about 25-35 minutes, and be in the countryside. A little to the northeast, and you can be in the hillier kettle moraine, with its woods, and ravines and absolute beautiful scenery. Lake Country is just to the west in Waukesha county. Milwaukee also has a world class parks system, we're one of the top cities for urban woods, and there are some really great urban parks and great places to hang out at all times of the year.

A great thing about Milwaukee is you can get virtually all of the amenities of a huge city like Chicago - cultural institutions, urban living (even in most of the suburbs), big city life - in our smaller metro. And when you do want a day away to somewhere like Chicago, its 1.5 hrs south of us. True, Milwaukee does have it's problems as any city has, and people like to focus on those, but its truly a beautiful city, and pretty affordable too, even in some of its best neighborhoods. If you're more for Suburban living, Wauwatosa is probably the safest bet as it has some of the best parks and outdoor areas out of the affordable suburbs.

Ugh, I've got to stop talking, I honestly could go on, and on, but how long do people actually read most posts :P I hope you guys find a good match in your search for a new home!

Old 01-19-2015, 07:58 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_magination View Post
Greetings all!

My family and I had our relocation set and were finally ready to make the move when our plans were disrupted. To avoid an annoyingly long post I will just say family and medical issues arose that are making us reconsider our relocation plans for East TN.

My oldest son is in college now and is relocating to Kansas to finish school and my two younger will both be in high school next year so further education is important to us. Because the younger are teens we are interested in a teen friendly area that offers activities and entertainment other than bars, clubs and adult night life. My hubby and I are not into that scene either but a fun-loving outdoor friendly area is desirable. We enjoy everything outdoors from fishing to basketball and camping to shopping and everything in between...we are open to any outdoor activity and would love to try snowboarding as well.

I work from home and hubby is considering starting his own auto body/restoration business wherever we move. We are retired military so we do not object to military towns and prefer to be on the outskirts of major cities. I have Asthma that had gotten out of control here in Florida the past 2 years and hubby has Psoriatic Arthritis, both do not tolerate the humidity/heat very well and our kids have similar issues. We need an area with low humidity and not the long intense summer we experience here in central Florida, although sunny days are welcome.

We are considering and looking into visiting Colorado, Oregon and Washington state so far but are interested in suggestions please. We have time to go visit any possible areas so now we need to research possibilities again. Hopefully we will find our new home soon!

Thanks for your patience and suggestions!
I wouldn't rule out Utah and given the lower cost of living as well as the booming economy would recommend checking it out, especially the Logan-Ogden area north of Salt Lake City or Provo-Orem to the south.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:41 AM

This is GREAT, so many wonderful suggestions for us to investigate. Our Spring and Summer will be FULL of adventure this year! I was initially so disappointed when our plans fell through but it looks like it may not be the worst thing that could have happened.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:19 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,231,551 times
Denver might work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.