Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:08 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking of taking a string of vacations to picturesque cities around the United States and I was wondering if you could provide a list of your favorites.

Seems there are a whole lot of smaller towns you never hear about.

You know, places like:

Bellingham
Portsmouth
Alexandria
Chattanooga
Portland, ME
etc.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:24 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Ones that I've visited that stood out for me...

Newport, RI - scenic harbor, mansions, beaches and rocky coast

Charleston, SC - colorful and historic homes, lots old school southern charm, nearby beaches

Durango/Silverton, CO - Historic mining towns, unbelievable mountain scenery nearby, Million dollar highway

Tucson, AZ - fun and eclectic college town, outstanding mountain/desert scenery, nearby Saguaro National Park

Santa Fe, NM - interesting adbobe architecture, Spanish colonial and Native American influences, high desert and mountain scenery

Burlington, VT - charming and walkable downtown and lakefront, college town, beutiful scenery on the lake and nearby Green Mountains.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-22-2015 at 12:01 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 11:32 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,135 times
Asheville, NC
Charlottesville, VA

Old 01-22-2015, 12:22 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Key West, FL - the most fun open minded small town I've ever been to. Super charming Southern/Caribbean architecture.
Boulder, CO - college town with and Old West feel, quite vibrant, nestled into the rockies
Temecula, CA (especially Old Town) - Old West/Native American mixed with vineyards
La Jolla, CA - this one doesn't really stand out architecture wise, but it has a gorgeous setting, nice downtown, and a major university (UCSD), that help make it a biotech capital.
Laguna Beach, CA - art, good food, friendly people, somewhat progressive, amazing vistas and surrounded by well preserved California chaparral, with easy access to endless hiking trails.
Carmel (by the sea), CA - really small town, but just really cute coastal California charm with my favorite Spanish Mission.

Some can make an argument for Solvang (CA), but it feels kitsch to me. Like a lost neighborhood of Disneyland.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:26 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Ithaca, Canandaigua, Geneva and perhaps Corning in NY's Finger Lakes Region come to mind. Wineries nearby, walkable Downtowns with nice architecture and on or near a big lake.

Williamsburg VA and Georgetown SC are both small, older, historic communities.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-22-2015 at 01:36 PM..

Old 01-22-2015, 01:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Asheville, NC
Yorktown, VA
Fredericksburg, TX
Nachitoches, LA
Annapolis, MD
Fort Worth, TX (often gets overshadowed by Dallas and it's really a completely different vibe)
Jefferson, TX
Mobile, AL
Knoxville, TN

These spring to mind immediately but I'm sure I can think of more.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:57 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,284 times
Martha's Vineyard, MA

Falmouth, MA

Sausalito, CA

Ephraim, WI

That would be a long road trip.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:05 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Asheville, NC
Yorktown, VA
Fredericksburg, TX
Nachitoches, LA
Annapolis, MD
Fort Worth, TX (often gets overshadowed by Dallas and it's really a completely different vibe)
Jefferson, TX
Mobile, AL
Knoxville, TN

These spring to mind immediately but I'm sure I can think of more.
I like Ft Worth a lot, actually, but how in the !%&**(^&! is it in any way Picturesque, which is the topic of this thread??? I would say the same for most of your other listings, as well. I realize that over 50% of the areas you list on every thread are in Texas, and the rest are always in the South (often with one ringer/token semi-northern location), but this is fairly ridiculous...

Old 01-22-2015, 02:06 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Ephraim, WI
Ah, my hometown - agreed!

Old 01-22-2015, 02:17 PM

645 posts, read 835,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I've been thinking of taking a string of vacations to picturesque cities around the United States and I was wondering if you could provide a list of your favorites.

Seems there are a whole lot of smaller towns you never hear about.

You know, places like:

Bellingham
Portsmouth
Alexandria
Chattanooga
Portland, ME
etc.

Suggestions?
Portsmouth, England or US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.