Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:01 AM

620 posts, read 1,232,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I am so sick of everyone thinking the South is not progressive, the entire South is not just the rural areas and Bubba's living in trailers and driving pick up trucks. We have progressive cities like Atlanta. Geez come on man.
I think he was more concerned about the rural areas though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 12:04 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I think he was more concerned about the rural areas though!
Well the rural areas can be less progressive and not as tolerant of gays but its not as bad as people think but then again I am not gay so I can't say... depends on the part of the South.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:32 AM

128 posts, read 268,009 times
Quote:
Well the rural areas can be less progressive and not as tolerant of gays but its not as bad as people think but then again I am not gay so I can't say... depends on the part of the South.
I never said it is. But when you read an article such as that the Alabama Supreme Court Justice encourages defying a federal judge on a gay marriage ruling, well you have to understand how that impression comes to be. I understand he's a politician, and politicians don't always reflect the population as a whole, but that's what has me concerned about traveling through the rural parts of Southern states.

But I decided that I will forgo preconceived prejudices and travel to the rural South and see it for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I am gay as well. I am single so can't speak of the relationship aspects of things...but I think it will all be ok. I never had any big issues dating my ex boyfriend he was from a small town 30 minutes from me in Arkansas and I live in southern Missouri. The only thing I would be cautious about is making any kind of displays of affection in public. It is sadly still that way in most places in the south. I am talking about even holding hands. At least here we would never have done it. It is perfectly acceptable for straight couples to, but sadly there is a double standard you may not be familiar with coming from where you live. Your concerns are justified for sure. I'm not trying to scare you either....just being honest. As long as you are kind an curtious no one should even bat an eye.
Thanks for that. Someday Arkansas will be a focal point, too! Lots of counties there.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:11 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,913 times
I have an interesting story, which might make the OP feel slightly better... I'm bisexual, and I was traveling with my boyfriend at one point, when the car's enine died. This was in a very rural, hick part of NC. We had to get a tow truck, find a shop to look at it, and find a hotel for a night. Everyone was very friendly and helpful the whole time.

Now, rural Mississippi might be a bit different. Certainly I think there are even worse places in NC we could've been stuck, but that was a level of interaction far greater than probably what you plan to have so...

Old 01-28-2015, 09:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:

People living in rural areas in ANY part of the country are less likely to be tolerant of public displays of affection by gays, though - not just the south. I'm surprised the OP doesn't realize this. He better get his head around that before he takes off with his fiance to tour every single county in the country. There's lots and lots of rural out there!

Old 01-28-2015, 11:28 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
My advice is no public displays of affection. If you feel the least bit uncomfortable refer to your partner as brother or business partner. Worst case scenario you may wind up paying a little extra for a room with 2 beds. But I wouldn't stress about it.

Now this is giving me flashbacks to when I first moved into my hillbilly neighborhood and told the neighbors my gay roommate was my cousin. Now this was almost 40 years ago when there was still some stigma to unmarried hetero couples so that was our first thought. Flash forward to the same hillbilly neighborhood and there's a gay hillbilly couple with a rainbow flag in their yard. Times change.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:29 AM

128 posts, read 268,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
People living in rural areas in ANY part of the country are less likely to be tolerant of public displays of affection by gays, though - not just the south. I'm surprised the OP doesn't realize this. He better get his head around that before he takes off with his fiance to tour every single county in the country. There's lots and lots of rural out there!
Oh I well realize this. I've lived it. My only concern is hotels.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:55 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Most motels will have plenty of rooms with 2 beds (see above post).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.