Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 11:55 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times

Advertisements

"Ya'll" is not something I hear on a daily basis where I live. I rarely hear it at all. I sometimes say it jokingly, if I'm being silly, but "you guys" dominates by far. Even "ya's." "How ya's doin?"

Also, this is just me but I don't like the term "General American" or even "newscaster accent." There is no "general" "neutral" accent IMO. Certain people may think they have that accent, aka they think they have no accent, but to others' ears they do. One of my best friends is from Southern California and she says certain words very, very oddly to my ears. I instantly notice it. She has an accent to me. I have an accent to her. Everyone has an accent. Just because they haven't termed the "West" accent yet (and because the West has fewer and less interesting accents than the East) doesn't make it "general" or "neutral." Just my opinion. And anyway, who's to say what the "General American" accent is anyway? The East was populated and formed first, it's where this country began, why isn't what's considered "normal" an Eastern accent? Just a thought.

For the question, I don't know how many accents New Jersey has. The easy answer is two distinct ways of pronunciation in the north and south parts - respectively "wah-ter," "wood-er" for water and stuff like that. But it probably goes a little deeper and gets more complex than that. For example, while people from Hudson County have the North Jersey "caw-fee, dawg, cawl, tawk," (coffee dog call talk ) typically thought of NJ accent, I think at the same time the Hudson County accent is stronger and more distinct than other parts of NJ, even more New York (Staten Island/Brooklyn) like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 11:28 PM

36 posts, read 49,164 times
North Carolina has a few.
You have the Appalachian accent spoken in the mountains, the central Piedmont accent in Greensboro and the Triad, the Virginia Piedmont accent in the RTP and Mount Airy, the Coastal Plains accent in Wilmington and Greenville, and the Outer Banks Brogue which sounds like a mix of an Irish and southern accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.