Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 06:28 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

A good number of Floridians have their noses out of joint with NY transplants. Many prefer the state in it's backwater form versus the progress that has been made (largely) via the transplant population made up mostly of NYers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:35 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
A good number of Floridians have their noses out of joint with NY transplants. Many prefer the state in it's backwater form versus the progress that has been made (largely) via the transplant population made up mostly of NYers.
Progress? You mean overcrowding?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:19 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
I heard all the "rude" stereotypes decades ago before my first trip to NYC, and was blown away by how friendly everyone was. I find it to be much friendlier than Chicago, or Milwaukee, or LA (for starters), but that's maybe just me. People should probably visit a city before stereotyping it. Met tons of people, had people on the street start BSing, great sense of humor in the metro overall. Have enjoyed every visit.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:01 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I heard all the "rude" stereotypes decades ago before my first trip to NYC, and was blown away by how friendly everyone was. I find it to be much friendlier than Chicago, or Milwaukee, or LA (for starters), but that's maybe just me. People should probably visit a city before stereotyping it. Met tons of people, had people on the street start BSing, great sense of humor in the metro overall. Have enjoyed every visit.
I think people often have the misconception because we're usually in a hurry. Do you think that's why non-NYers think we're rude and unfriendly?

Old 01-28-2015, 11:43 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
I think some reactions are based on ignorance (stereotypes), and others on personal experiences (which are probably quite limited, nonetheless, that's what people go on.)

As a Southern Californian, I have no qualms against any individual New Yorker, and I have the same curiosity towards them that I do about anyone that grew up/lived anywhere else that isn't California (whether it be Kyrgyzstan or small town Iowa - albeit, Kyrgyzstan sounds more interesting). I don't ascribe any special attributes to any individual New Yorkers.

Having that said, a pattern I have noticed of New Yorkers (city, not state) vs. folks from Chicago, is that those from Chicago are rather optimistic and happy about their move to Los Angeles (on average), and excited to get to know the city for what it is. New Yorkers, on the other hand, tend to have a bittersweet sentiment...a "sure, it's beautiful and sunny, but it isn't New York. NYC this and NYC that, LA doesn't have this and that" etc etc. Now, this isn't true of all NYers, and there are plenty that can appreciate the differences, and value that this country has enough variety in cityscape to offer such diversity in lifestyles as NY and LA, but to be frank many of you can't and wont. This is something that many Angelenos have noticed about New Yorkers (from the CITY), and therefore they definitely have some bad fame within LA. (Not to mention, y'all tend to cluster in areas like Silverlake, Venice and Santa Monica...so your presence is more felt in certain neighborhoods, which makes it seem like there is more NYers here than there actually is.)

I know, I know...this is coming from a Californian, and if you talk to peeps from Arizona, Oregon and Colorado, we have a similar reputation in those states for moving to them, but not letting go of our California mentality. Either way, I think it's good to be aware of such traits that we carry with ourselves, and to be open minded to what other places have to offer in their own unique way.

BTW, as a Southern Californian, New Yorkers are rarely in our thought process. We are more likely to run into the annoying San Franciscan and their grotesque disdain for our city/region. Not sure why San Franciscans hate us so much, but we still like them (at least their city, anyways). Even Texans have more love for LA/SoCal than NorCal people do. lol.

Last edited by RudyOD; 01-28-2015 at 11:52 AM..

Old 01-28-2015, 01:18 PM

7 posts, read 16,196 times
People still have biases towards many different regions in the US.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:20 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Great post that is very true.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:53 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Progress? You mean overcrowding?
Overcrowding? Compared to what? Florida is hardly "overcrowded" in most areas.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:54 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
Not a New Yorker here, but a lot of them I have met are constantly talking about NY this or NY that, if you bring it up in every sentence, people aren't going to like you. It could be anywhere, still annoying.

I think also NY flushes out quite a bit of "Trend-Seekers" who infect other cities purely for the sake of being Trendy. No one likes them.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:04 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I make a face when I see a car from NY, but it's because of those ugly Dial soap gold plates. Seriously, NY needs to develop some plates that arent offensive to the eye.
I have to agree with you on that one and they should come up with a better design. When they made those plates, they said they were going with a retro look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.