U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Florida ricans more similar to?
more like NY ricans 19 67.86%
more Florida cubans 9 32.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 01:20 PM

27,920 posts, read 37,961,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
.......the Northeast PR's are so American-zed,.........
Gosh, I should hope that Puerto Ricans are "Americanized" since even if they were born in Puerto Rico, they are American Nationals and have every right that citizens enjoy except for a few minor details about inheriting citizenship.

Hey look, that American acts like an American. Well, duh. They aren't foreigners arriving in a new country and learning to assimilate. They are Americans
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 05:24 PM

218 posts, read 281,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Gosh, I should hope that Puerto Ricans are "Americanized" since even if they were born in Puerto Rico, they are American Nationals and have every right that citizens enjoy except for a few minor details about inheriting citizenship.

Hey look, that American acts like an American. Well, duh. They aren't foreigners arriving in a new country and learning to assimilate. They are Americans
Politically- yes they are US citizens

Culturally- no, Puerto Rico has its own culture, which is Hispanic/Caribbean in origin. The culture of Puerto Rico is more similar to Dominican & Cuban culture then it is to mainstream American culture.
Most assimilated "Puerto Rican-Americans" in the Northeast act more similar culturally to native blacks & whites, and assimilated hispanics & asians then they do to a person from the US territory of Puerto Rico itself. Similar to the fact that the average Italian American acts more like other Northeast folks then they do to a person from Italy.
They are assimilated and culturally "American-ized"

Old 02-01-2015, 12:24 AM

14,260 posts, read 24,688,886 times
The Nuyorican population in Orlando still outweighs the Islander PR population? I thought the trends had changed.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The Nuyorican population in Orlando still outweighs the Islander PR population? I thought the trends had changed.
Well yes, there is a large amount of "americanized" Puerto Ricans from New York, Chicago, and other areas up north moving to Florida. But I do think theres more coming straight from Puerto Rico as well. Puerto Rico is now experiencing its second mass exodus out the island, the first one was poorer Puerto Ricans from rural areas moving almost exclusively to New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, and many other urban centers in the Northeast from 1940-1975. Now this new migration wave started in 2005, and it is mostly lower middle class Puerto Ricans moving predominately to Florida (especiallly Orlando/central florida), however its a much more spread out migration pattern , compared to the mid 20th century PR migration wave which was almost exclusively to the Northeast region as well as Chicago Miami and Cleveland. This one is slightly better-off and "whiter" . so i would say the Puerto Ricans apart of this recent PR to Florida migration wave , are economically more like the middle class Cubans in miami, however culturally their more like their poorer fellow Puerto Ricans up north.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:31 PM

19,812 posts, read 30,042,369 times
I wonder what made NY Ricans choose Orlando instead of Miami.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I wonder what made NY Ricans choose Orlando instead of Miami.
Originally many Puerto Ricans worked for Disney, and they started to bring whole families, between i would say 1998 and 2005 it eventually became the most popular destination for those leaving PR . now theres over 300k in the orlando metro, making it about 16% Rican. Theres some in miami too, but not as much as orlando. They can easily outnumber other Hispanic groups n gain cloutin Orlando, which means more representation n recognition. In Miami, they have to compete with other larger or equal sized Hispanic/Caribbean groups.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:56 AM

44 posts, read 39,188 times
Like Tony Montana

Old 08-25-2017, 07:39 PM

88 posts, read 101,192 times
Florida is the best of worlds for Puerto Ricans who want to retain their special culture.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:39 PM

749 posts, read 474,997 times
Obviously the ones who moved down from the Northeast are just like the ones up north. The ones from the island who came straight to Florida are generally very cool and are more similar to the Cubans.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:24 PM

11,455 posts, read 8,614,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
The Nuyoricans I know act more like black people than white I'd say.
I agree, but what does that have to do with this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.