Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Florida ricans more similar to?
more like NY ricans 19 67.86%
more Florida cubans 9 32.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 03:33 PM

218 posts, read 338,858 times

Advertisements

Florida now has the fastest growing Puerto Rican population, I mean ofcoarse culturally Puerto Ricans have the same culture everywhere, but in the Northeast PR's are so American-zed, that they often mix PR culture with local NY or philly culture, in Florida, well over half of the Puerto Ricans here are 'fresh off the plane' from PR, thus more traditional, and there also wealthier than the descendants of the earlier PR migration wave to the Northeast.
is the Puerto Rican population more like its Northeast equivalent which is often described as lower-income/or sometimes working class and ghetto/urban poor often grouped with poor blacks in the area, mostly found in places like NYC ,Philly, Boston, Chicago, n numerous small towns in the Northeast.. or is it like the wealthier/ middle class, classy miami cubans often grouped with wealthier whites
I've often heard that Florida's PR population is less american-ized, and slightly better-off then it's Northeast equivalent, but still poorer than the state's Cuban population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 03:40 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,582,017 times
Puerto Ricans and Cubans in Florida tend to live in different areas. PR's are more concentrated in Central Florida, especially around Orlando while Cubans tend to be more centered around South Florida, especially around Miami.

Really not much overlap between the two

Old 01-28-2015, 04:02 PM

12 posts, read 18,381 times
Most Orlando Puerto Ricans are actually Nuyoricans or Philly-Ricans that moved down for warm weather cheaper cost of living. I'm sure some FOBs have come as well but overall its mostly Nuyorican transplants, similar to Jews in Boca...even 2nd gen Floridian Jews born to NY parents have a culture similar to NYC people as opposed to other white floridians

Old 01-28-2015, 05:36 PM

412 posts, read 541,609 times
Aren't many of the Puerto Ricans in Florida from NY/NJ?

Old 01-28-2015, 05:40 PM

338 posts, read 551,991 times
The Nuyoricans I know act more like black people than white I'd say.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:09 AM

734 posts, read 913,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Puerto Ricans and Cubans in Florida tend to live in different areas. PR's are more concentrated in Central Florida, especially around Orlando while Cubans tend to be more centered around South Florida, especially around Miami.

Really not much overlap between the two
There are also a ****load of Cubans in Tampa. I find them to be generally pleasant people (and the women... yowza).

Old 01-30-2015, 07:36 AM

26,817 posts, read 43,286,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
I've often heard that Florida's PR population is less american-ized, and slightly better-off then it's Northeast equivalent, but still poorer than the state's Cuban population.
I would very much disagree with that statement. The Puerto Ricans who move here to the Orlando area from my experiences seem to be those that cannot afford to live in NY/NJ/Philly or even South Florida and are largely more "urban" in lifestyle/appearance.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:22 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,821,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
Aren't many of the Puerto Ricans in Florida from NY/NJ?
Yes.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:24 PM

Since most are from NJ/NY/Philly, I'd say there are more like the Northeast Puerto Ricans.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:25 PM

The neighbors we had in East Orlando move back to Puerto Rico a while back. But they were from the island and probably the nicest neighbors we've ever had. We stayed in touch even a cpl yrs after they left FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.