Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:24 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,086,523 times

Advertisements

Which states are ran the best, but still have nice weather? I actually don't mind weather in the lower 90's, but nothing above 95. I wouldn't mind weather that doesn't have much of a tempertaure change, but at least somewhat warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 08:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
Well, any state will have people saying it's not run properly. California has a lot of haters, but I love it and this state treats me well. Good state supplemental health insurance for me (Medi-Cal) and the state also supplements my SSI.

And you can't beat the weather.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:25 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
The OP is in Illinois so I'm guessing "ran the best" has something to do with paying as little as possible in taxes. Having lived in Florida most of my life I'm familiar with the same train of thought expressed by many transplants from other states. Be careful what you wish for though, since fewer taxes mean fewer services and frequent funding cuts to items such as infrastructure/road projects and education due to sales tax shortfalls. If you could care less about those type of things, Florida would be perfect for you.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:21 AM

I'm just curious for where to go when I retire. I don't wanna stay in Illinois because of the weather and one of the worst economies in the country. The high cost of living isn't worth it.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:36 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,627,573 times
Based on the OP's reasoning... I would suggest just going where most retirees go...

Florida
Texas
Arizona
Nevada

Old 02-27-2015, 08:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
The entire state of Illinois can't be expensive, just like the entire state of California isn't expensive.

But, I get wanting better weather.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,475,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The entire state of Illinois can't be expensive, just like the entire state of California isn't expensive.

But, I get wanting better weather.
You don't love snow and cold, what is wrong with you lol?

Old 02-27-2015, 08:27 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,984,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
I'm just curious for where to go when I retire. I don't wanna stay in Illinois because of the weather and one of the worst economies in the country. The high cost of living isn't worth it.
You clearly haven't done your research. Illinois is NOWHERE near the worst. Not exactly the shining gem, but you have all of the deep south and the mostly stagnant New England states who are seeing less robust economies than Illinois.

Anyways...in terms of weather if you don't mind low 90's but have a cut off at 95 you're going to be unhappy. Any place that habitually hits the low 90's is bound to break 95 too, lived over 4 years in Mississippi. The weather there was next to perfect, but wasn't a fan of its politics. Though I think you'd like Texas, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida in terms of weather and "how well they are ran".

Old 02-27-2015, 11:40 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,979,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
You clearly haven't done your research. Illinois is NOWHERE near the worst. Not exactly the shining gem, but you have all of the deep south and the mostly stagnant New England states who are seeing less robust economies than Illinois.

Anyways...in terms of weather if you don't mind low 90's but have a cut off at 95 you're going to be unhappy. Any place that habitually hits the low 90's is bound to break 95 too, lived over 4 years in Mississippi. The weather there was next to perfect, but wasn't a fan of its politics. Though I think you'd like Texas, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida in terms of weather and "how well they are ran".
I agree with ColdAilment. If you can't stand anything 95 and above, you're ruling out a LOT. Certainly nowhere in the desert southwest.

Southern California is ruled out based on the high cost of living. So is South Florida, though Miami doesn't usually go MUCH above 95 due to the high humidity and proximity to the coast.

Even northern states will have a heat wave every now and then and probably aren't your cup of tea on the high cost of living scale either.

Maybe rural Indiana, Kentucky or West Virginia?

I'm stumped.

BTW, it's run, not ran.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:31 PM

It's ok for me if the climate gets above 95 like during heat waves, I just don't want it to be frequent during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.