Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 11:36 PM

427 posts, read 496,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Option C- I'd take the job with the money. But rather than blowing my money on " toys & trips ", I'd be saving it.

I'd be taking classes nights at either a physical location or online, to improve my skills. I'd be investing all that money. If I didn't know how to invest, I'd start learning. I'd consider the job a stay of several years at most, but not forever. I'd look at that job as a stepping stone and nothing more.

Then I'd start looking to relocate to the climate and place I really liked. Hopefully, I'd be employable there and would have a really good financial basis under me to make it worthwhile.
This is such a boring way to live life. Being in your desired city and networking there is really actually the more sensible way to do it. Most jobs have more to do with who you know and not what you know.

It's also far easier to move when you are young, single, and don't have kids. You might never be able to move to NYC if you have to worry about buying a house. Best spend your peak years establishing yourself in the community you want to be a part of.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 02-16-2015 at 12:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 04:46 AM

363 posts, read 435,948 times
Actually, I am facing a real life version of this dilemma right now. Except I have been.relatively.poor all of my life, despite educating myself & living quite modestly & getting some very lucky breaks. Health concerns and the lack of connections have held us back. My only daughter moved to paradise with her beau, where they are making it, and more importantly, they are building a future. We're moving down for warmer weather, that is a healthier option for us. The area we are moving to is going to be even more expensive to live, but we've decided that living closer to each other is preferable to suffering alone. Life is a struggle sometimes no matter what you do. Love is all you need.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:59 AM

10,649 posts, read 15,918,583 times
I rather live in Thailand for $30.000 per year than in Saudi Arabia for 3 million per year.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:33 AM

27,262 posts, read 28,317,220 times
Somebody once wrote, "Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven."

Might be worth considering this. ;-)

Old 02-17-2015, 09:46 AM

18 posts, read 28,211 times
I am currently planning on moving to California. I live in the Westchester area of New York state and work outdoors in New York City doing low skilled manual labor. The winter weather has started to get to me these past few years. Last winter was horrible with all of the snow that pummeled New York. This winter is one of the coldest that I have experienced in recent years.

I am poor and I am paying off all of my bills and saving some money to move to Los Angeles by the end of next year. I would have preferred San Francisco, but it is too expensive. I consider Northeast winters to be extremely uncomfortable and they make me very unhappy, so I want to move to a milder climate.

I know it's tough being poor in any place, but I'd rather choose a more comfortable climate over a dreary one. The effects of the weather on my life have been obvious to me over the last several years. I have spent ridiculous amounts of money buying many things that I have not needed in order to cheer myself up. Now I live a more simplistic life and am getting rid of all of the clutter in my life. When I move I will try to be as minimalistic as I can and enjoy the outdoors more.

I don't plan on ever retiring and will try to find a job that I can enjoy doing for the rest of my life. I have stories of an acquaintance and two family members who have retired and died soon afterward.

One of my former clients worked for Con Edision, the power company in New York. He went to retire to Puerto Rico and bought a house by the sea. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer and died several years later.

One of my cousins lived in New York for most of his life. He worked as a porter and decided to retire early and start a business over there. He lived in the Dominican Republic for a few years and then he died the weekend before his financial services business was going to open. He was in his mid thirties and had Crohn's disease throughout his life and died from complications related to it.

Another cousin of mine, who was semiretired and living in the Dominican Republic, was simply murdered in his mid thirties. His girlfriend and bodyguard conspired to kill him and take the money. They are now behind bars.

I am sorry for that detour regarding retirement, but I just needed to get it out there. Now I am going to mention the fisherman story that many of you have probably already heard about or read, but it is worth mentioning in regard to the OP's topic.

I found the following story here and I pasted version three, the one at the bottom. I have also found it in other websites.

The Mexican Fisherman

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.

"Not very long," answered the Mexican.

"But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family.

The American asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs...I have a full life."

The American interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you!

"You should start by fishing longer every day. You can then sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat. With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers.

"Instead of selling your fish to a middleman, you can negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City! From there you can direct your huge enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the Mexican.

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the American.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? That's when it gets really interesting," answered the American, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?"

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your children, catch a few fish, take a siesta, and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends!"

Old 02-17-2015, 12:17 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,861,519 times
My personal belief is that I could be happy anywhere I could be successful. I really don't need a "place" to determine happiness. I was born and currently live in CO and it seems sometime that the whole country wants to move here. Yes, I enjoy it, but I'm also used to it. I've had the opportunity to travel to 46 of the 50 states. If I were successful, say in Cleveland or Detroit (not a put down), and could live in a beautiful neighborhood, I'd take that over living hand-to-mouth in Hawaii or Colorado. Besides that, I could afford to travel and enjoy where ever I'd choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.