Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 12:24 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,971,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
according to wikipedia, ann arbor, mi is a city with a mayor ?
Correct, I'm not sure what that poster meant. There is an Ann Arbor Twp, but it's not that big and doesn't have many people:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_...ship,_Michigan

Most of the Township has been annexed over time into the city of Ann Arbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 12:13 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Colorado is probably a Western exception then. But even then you will not find the term "unicorporated County" in the Northeast (most of the Northeast is incorporated) or parts of the Upper Midwest. So in that regard, Colorado is similar to other Western states.

I looked quickly and it seems Pennsylvania has more then 1500 townships and about 1,000 cities and boroughs. I was surprised to see that PA had so many boroughs (more then 900) but there are still more townships.
townships and burrows seem redundant in philly and new jersey.
i once saw a montgomery county police car; behind a abington township police car; behind a jenkintown burrow police car pulling over a car. that $50 traffic ticket mustve cost $100's in taxes.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:22 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,707 times
I still don't understand towns in New York. My parents have a cabin in the Airondaks (Warrensburg). I don't understand how Glen's Falls is a town/city but Queesbury isn't. Lake George Village is a town but Lake George Town isnt.

Why does New York have something between town/city and county

Old 11-26-2017, 12:25 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,707 times
Or is this just me growing up in New England where everything is incorporated and I'm the weird one

Old 11-26-2017, 01:48 PM

^ +1. i never knew what unincorporated was until i joined city-data... always thought it had to do with businesses.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:27 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I still don't understand towns in New York. My parents have a cabin in the Airondaks (Warrensburg). I don't understand how Glen's Falls is a town/city but Queesbury isn't. Lake George Village is a town but Lake George Town isnt.

Lake George is a village and a town, where each has their own layer of government. Glens Falls is a city and Queensbury is a town(ship) that surrounds the city of Glens Falls.

If a place says "the town of", that means that it is a town(ship). If it says the "village of" or the "city of", they are what they say they are. Same with "town of". Everything is incorporated in NY State, by the way. Hence, the lack of annexation.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:36 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
townships and burrows seem redundant in philly and new jersey.
i once saw a montgomery county police car; behind a abington township police car; behind a jenkintown burrow police car pulling over a car. that $50 traffic ticket mustve cost $100's in taxes.
You mean redundant in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. There are no townships and boroughs in Philadelphia to my knowledge.

Pennsylvania and New Jersey are divided up into counties like most states. In Pennsylvania, each county can have cities,townships and boroughs in it. But they are all separate (to my knowledge), you cannot have a borough inside a city or town. Or a town inside a city. Philadelphia is a city that takes up its entire county. Pennsylvania also has one or two towns but they are much smaller then towns here in New York, I am not sure if they are the same thing.

New Jersey is similar except they have practically every type of local government you can think of inside their counties - cities, townships, towns, boroughs and villages. They are all separate from each other. The more populated areas tend to be cities while the largest in land area tend to be townships.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:02 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:

Quote:
Or is this just me growing up in New England where everything is incorporated and I'm the weird one
Glen Falls is a city, Queensbury is a Town and Lake George is a Town. They are all separate governments. But Lake George Town also has a Lake George Village inside it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_G...age),_New_York
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_George,_New_York

I know it is confusing, most states don't have incorporated governments like villages inside other incorporated governments like towns. Think of it this way, imagine if a neighborhood in Boston like Beacon Hill or Charlestown could have its own local government but still be part of Boston. That is what a village is in New York State.

Interestingly, Vermont also has New York type villages inside some of its towns while Connecticut has a few boroughs inside its towns which I believe are similar.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
You mean redundant in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. There are no townships and boroughs in Philadelphia to my knowledge.

Pennsylvania and New Jersey are divided up into counties like most states. In Pennsylvania, each county can have cities,townships and boroughs in it. But they are all separate (to my knowledge), you cannot have a borough inside a city or town. Or a town inside a city. Philadelphia is a city that takes up its entire county. Pennsylvania also has one or two towns but they are much smaller then towns here in New York, I am not sure if they are the same thing.

New Jersey is similar except they have practically every type of local government you can think of inside their counties - cities, townships, towns, boroughs and villages. They are all separate from each other. The more populated areas tend to be cities while the largest in land area tend to be townships.
i think parts of valley forge is in king of prussia which in turn is in upper marion in montgomery county (but i dont think either has their own cops); willow grove is in abington; jenkintown is in abington, pa; sewell, nj is in washington township, gloucester county; ...

Old 11-27-2017, 08:00 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
When someone in the Town of Hempstead, but outside the Village of Hempstead, is asked where they live, do they say that they live in the Town of Hempstead? If they don't, then I don't consider it a town when compared to other towns across the USA: regardless of the municipal layering system set up in the state of NY.
My guess is that nearly all residents of the town would say which village they live in. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.