Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:47 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
But not what one would deem "affordable".
It's a little on the high side, but it's no where near as bad as places like DC or Boston, or even Philly, at the metro area level. The OP doesn't have to live right in the city of Miami or FTL.

The big problem in that area, is that the jobs don't quite pay well enough in proportion with the cost of housing. That's the real issue with that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 10:09 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Wow.
What? Its the truth, unless your elderly or disabled. Other than that there is no excuse for any grown man gay or otherwise getting roughed up by a group of kids.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:19 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Houston traffic is no worse than traffic in Phoenix? Houston traffic is no worse than traffic in Tampa? Give me a break.

There is nothing wrong with a southern accent, but it's an element of culture shock to most, if not all, northeastern natives. I tried living in Charlotte two years ago and honestly couldn't get used to the accent. The Charlotte metro is very southern IMO. It was almost a barrier to harmonious communication between myself and other southern natives. In some cases, it just sounds "backwoods" to native northeastern people. Not gonna lie...that's the truth.
You obviously didn't answer my question, then proceeded to compare Houston's traffic to two places that are smaller. SMH

The rest of your post is even more ridiculous.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:25 AM

6 posts, read 8,574 times
I've been hearing a lot about San Jose, CA, does anyone know any personal information about that city?
And do you think there a mid west state that is gay tolerant and has mild temperatures? I'm not expecting hot temperatures, just so it doesn't snow, like average 40-70s.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:28 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Many southern states are typically poor...and poor people for some reason don't choose to eat the most healthy foods.
The bad stuff is cheap.

Quote:
..many people don't get out to exercise either because it gets so damn hot and sticky.
Or the infrastructure or safety of their communities aren't the best.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:41 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessR989 View Post
I've been hearing a lot about San Jose, CA, does anyone know any personal information about that city?
And do you think there a mid west state that is gay tolerant and has mild temperatures? I'm not expecting hot temperatures, just so it doesn't snow, like average 40-70s.
San Jose is, like, the most expensive city in the country.

Louisville could be worth looking into.

But you criteria is so vague that basically anywhere that isn't cold could work. Just apply to jobs in warm cities and see what you get. If you see an ad for a job in a city that you're unsure about, post a thread in that city's forum. Simple.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:05 AM

I am also gay, 30 and looking to move away from southwestern CT to a more affordable place with more gays. I am considering Columbus, OH and St. Louis, MO as far as the Midwest goes. The climate of St. Louis is actually very good. You get 7 months of 70+ temps, and relatively mild winters. Housing is very affordable there are plenty of good jobs, at least in my field.

Columbus seems good, too, and is more transplant friendly than St. Louis. Columbus has a *huge* gay population, especially for a metro of its size. Housing is very affordable and there are tons of jobs in my field.

STL and Columbus are also liberal leaning areas, so being gay shouldn't be a problem there.

As for San Jose, or anywhere on the coast of California, AVOID at all costs. Those are literally the most expensive places in the entire nation.

As for finding a job, obviously it is best to have one lined up before moving. Unfortunately, that's not an easy thing to do. I spent 5 months straight last year applying to jobs in other cities, and landed no interviews whatsoever. On the contrary, the few jobs that I applied to right here where I currently live, yielded two interviews. Go figure. Clearly, employers don't give a crap about nonlocal candidates.

Applying to jobs as a nonlocal candidate spoils your chances at getting a job in a new city, big time, and I speak from my experience. Had you actually already been living in the city, it is far more likely that employers would have invited you in for an interview. This is why, in May, I will be moving to a new city with no job lined up. I will have $75K in cash saved up, to do so. It is far better to be a local, unemployed candidate than to be a nonlocal, employed candidate, based on my experience. Plus, it's far easier to look for a job while unemployed, because you can make time for interviews much easier, you can post your resume on job websites so that recruiters and employers can find you, without fear of your current employer finding out. You can also use references from your most recent employer. Can't really do that while you're employed. It has worked for me every single time and I have no hesitation doing it again, despite the element of risk that comes along with it.

Last edited by nep321; 02-02-2015 at 11:13 AM..

Old 02-02-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
You obviously didn't answer my question, then proceeded to compare Houston's traffic to two places that are smaller. SMH

The rest of your post is even more ridiculous.
The rest of my post is a very accurate representation of what most northeasterners would feel like if they were suddenly placed in Charlotte.

Thanks

Old 02-02-2015, 12:26 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
But not what one would deem "affordable".
It's actually not that bad in Fort Lauderdale. I've been looking at Wilton Manors, and nearby neighborhoods in Fort Lauderdale. Comparable buildings have about the same rent rates as what I pay in Dallas. Home prices are hard to compare. I don't know the area well enough to determine costs, but I'd rent there first anyway.

I just can't find jobs that pay as much

It wouldn't be significantly less, but enough to keep me from moving for now. Fort Lauderdale has a ton of amenities for gays, so it's been on my radar for a while. Plus, it's smaller than where I live, warm year around, and it doesn't seem like a rat race, like Dallas.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:10 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Here's the full list of HIV-infections per capita. Basically all the cities are in the South or the Mid-Atlantic: The 25 U.S. Cities With the Highest Rates of HIV Infection | HIVPlusMag.com

It also looks like Louisiana leads the country in gonorrhea per capita (Washington is No. 39): Gonorrhea Rate statistics - States compared - StateMaster

In terms of chlamydia, Louisiana is No. 2, while Washington ranks at No. 29: Chlamydia Rate statistics - states compared - State Master
Interesting that Denver doesn't show up on this report, even though it has a large gay population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.