Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 08:27 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times

Advertisements

Buffalo- Buffalo Bills losing 4 straight Super Bowls, hella good chicken wings, close to Niagara Falls.
Hartford CT- Lot of ESPN anchors live in Hartford burbs. I love ESPN
Des Moines- Lot of clean cut white people and friendly farmers.
Little Rock- Bill Clinton and the Razorbacks and football
Stamford- Lot of corporations
Columbia- Gamecock football fans and SC has a great flag
Albany- Capital of NY
Springfield- Basketball Hall of Fame and nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 08:33 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,604,466 times
Buffalo, New York: Pretty rundown physically with abandoned industrial properties, but extremely helpful and friendly people (personal experience)

Hartford, Connecticut
: Fairly poor city in a wealthy state

Des Moines, Iowa
: Fairly prosperous economy that functions quietly in Middle America and a hub of banking, credit card companies, and other financial institutions.

Little Rock, Arkansas: It seems to have a pretty significant gang problem for a small city (based on several documentaries I've seen).

Stamford, Connecticut: No real impression- I'm not familiar enough with it.

Columbia, South Carolina
: State capital of SC and part of the Deep South culturally.

Albany, New York: New York state capital and kind of the dividing line culturally and geographically between upstate NY and downstate NY.

Springfield, Massachusetts: Blue collar New England small city

Old 02-03-2015, 12:07 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Des Moines, Iowa - Rednecks
Definitely wouldn't describe it anything like that.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:49 PM

442 posts, read 496,390 times
Buffalo, New York - snow

Hartford, Connecticut - wealthy

Des Moines, Iowa - pork

Little Rock, Arkansas - green trees, for some reason

Stamford, Connecticut - college

Columbia, South Carolina - palm trees

Albany, New York - no impression

Springfield, Massachusetts - no impression

Old 02-03-2015, 03:10 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,387,480 times
Buffalo, New York--- Cold, snowy, Buffalo Bills

Hartford, Connecticut- Typical East Coast, "Old Sport"

Des Moines, Iowa-- Corn

Little Rock, Arkansas---Middle of nowhere

Stamford, Connecticut--- Upstate NE.

Columbia, South Carolina--- Clemson University

Albany, New York--- State Capitol and SUNY

Springfield, Massachusetts--- Springfield Weaponry.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:15 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,969,640 times
Buffalo, New York: I have good friends who live here. Also, lake effect snow, Sabres, Bills, good wings & snow tubing

Hartford, Connecticut: Insurance. New England accents.

Des Moines, Iowa: Up and coming downtown. Progressive. Corn.

Little Rock, Arkansas: Bill Clinton. Forgotten state and capital city.

Stamford, Connecticut: University.

Columbia, South Carolina: Midlands. Southern.

Albany, New York: Cuomo. Upstate.

Springfield, Massachusetts: BDL. Shares an airport with Hartford. Didn't a tornado pass through here several years back?

Old 02-03-2015, 04:21 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Little Rock - Does it have a little rock?
And if it does, where do they keep the big one?

Old 02-03-2015, 05:34 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,095 times
Buffalo, New York - been there. Snow, gothic architecture, potential for rebirth.

Hartford, Connecticut - never been there, crime, crowded, the worst parts of Long Island.

Des Moines, Iowa - been there. Cold, but otherwise a really nice small city.

Little Rock, Arkansas - been there. Under-rated, hills and mountains, big riverfront, great downtown.

Stamford, Connecticut - never been there. Nicer part of CT?

Columbia, South Carolina - been there. Reminds me of Baton Rouge, large college city with some sketchy areas, but also some really awesome architecture and great food.

Albany, New York - never been there, but I think rust belty similar to Rochester

Springfield, Massachusetts - never been. Liberal and cold.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:42 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,095 times
RE: Little Rock, I visited for the second time over the holidays. First time was quick in and out at a local university, so my primary impressions are based on my recent visit.

YES, they have a "Little Rock". I saw a sign for it, but its under a bridge on the riverfront. I think it was a small rock outcropping or bluff that French explorers identified the stop on the river by. It was originally Petite Roche, ala Baton Rouge, Des Moines, etc...

BILL CLINTON: The prez library is there an it is a unique building along the riverfront with beautiful grounds.

Green trees: The city is covered in trees, and there are mountains/hills, (some even look a little "volcanic") right in and just outside the city. Google some images.

Little Rock is worth a look. The waterfront and western hills remind me a great deal of the landscape of Austin, my hometown. Their downtown looked ready to burst with new development. LOTS of good stuff happening in that city, lots of good food, etc. It is kind of the "middle of nowhere" as far as the eastern half of the US, but its not all that isolated, especially compared to the real west.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:02 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
RE: Little Rock, I visited for the second time over the holidays. First time was quick in and out at a local university, so my primary impressions are based on my recent visit.

YES, they have a "Little Rock". I saw a sign for it, but its under a bridge on the riverfront. I think it was a small rock outcropping or bluff that French explorers identified the stop on the river by. It was originally Petite Roche, ala Baton Rouge, Des Moines, etc...

BILL CLINTON: The prez library is there an it is a unique building along the riverfront with beautiful grounds.

Green trees: The city is covered in trees, and there are mountains/hills, (some even look a little "volcanic") right in and just outside the city. Google some images.

Little Rock is worth a look. The waterfront and western hills remind me a great deal of the landscape of Austin, my hometown. Their downtown looked ready to burst with new development. LOTS of good stuff happening in that city, lots of good food, etc. It is kind of the "middle of nowhere" as far as the eastern half of the US, but its not all that isolated, especially compared to the real west.
Thanks for clarifying! I'm sure it is a good place, I just never really hear anything about it. Oh, Jermain Taylor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.