Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:30 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,347,986 times

Advertisements

People in South Florida really won't care, but I can't speak on the hicktown areas of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 06:09 PM

6,893 posts, read 7,521,758 times
You might think about Oklahoma. Seriously! I've lived all over America (with the exception of New England), and I think Tulsa was probably the most equally ethnically mixed area I've ever lived. Whites, Blacks, Native Americans dominate, but there is also a fast growing Hispanic population. Not so many Asians, though. Oklahoma is comparatively inexpensive, too and a very pretty environment. In fact, I considered it seriously for retirement but just can't hack the prevailing conservative christian culture there. If you would be happy in that kind of religious cultural environment, take a serious look at Oklahoma. There are some nice retirement communities in the Grand Lake region.

The above was based on my personal experience, I haven't bothered to look at the statistics.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:21 AM

29 posts, read 45,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
You might think about Oklahoma. Seriously! I've lived all over America (with the exception of New England), and I think Tulsa was probably the most equally ethnically mixed area I've ever lived. Whites, Blacks, Native Americans dominate, but there is also a fast growing Hispanic population. Not so many Asians, though. Oklahoma is comparatively inexpensive, too and a very pretty environment. In fact, I considered it seriously for retirement but just can't hack the prevailing conservative christian culture there. If you would be happy in that kind of religious cultural environment, take a serious look at Oklahoma. There are some nice retirement communities in the Grand Lake region.

The above was based on my personal experience, I haven't bothered to look at the statistics.

Thanks, but 3 issues.....
  1. Way too far from an ocean.
  2. Way too far from family and friends on the east coast.
  3. Way, Way, Way too close to Texas!!!!!

Old 02-25-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
I live in an very affluent part of Sarasota. I see inter-racial couples all the time. But they are mostly snowbirds--aged 50-65. I admit I did stare at an interracial couple this week because they were so old--like 75+. As someone else said, interracial is often equated with young and hip. This couple was anything but young and hip. My thought was--"my god, those people must have been one of the first". But maybe they got together in retirement. It was just a different sight.

I agree with the person who said it is all education. None of our neighbors are racist, but we have an apartment building that caters to working class families. One of our tenants expressed concern that we were going to rent to a black family. Racism is more noticeable to us anyway here in Florida than it was in Ohio or California. But it is in the working class. Florida has a redneck population but that is not how I would characterize retirees here. Florida is getting a huge influx of retires for the northeast, mostly New York, and they bring their multi-cultural experiences with them.
Thank you. My wife and I are knocking on 60's door, so we are not young or hip. (although I still like to think so!)
I agree about the older couple. Even when my wife and I see a older mixed-race couple, we, meaning my wife and I, usually talk about what it might have been like for them if they have been together a lot of years.
We will be in the Sarasota area in May for about 5 days, just to look around and get a feel for the area. We like to go to the local supermarkets, restaurants etc.
We have a lot of research to do on the state as a whole. It is a shame that I, more so than my wife, feel the need to even consider this subject. Not all interracial couples spend a lot of time on this matter. I guess I just want to do all that I can to increase the odds that we can live out our lives relatively happily .

Old 02-25-2015, 06:46 AM

87,977 posts, read 83,789,860 times
My sister and her husband have been in an interracial (white/black) marriage since the late Seventies. They live in a 55+ community in New Jersey. No problems.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My sister and her husband have been in an interracial (white/black) marriage since the late Seventies. They live in a 55+ community in New Jersey. No problems.
I would move back to NJ in a heartbeat. We moved to TX. from the Jersey shore......night and day.

The wife says NO to the cold!

Old 12-16-2016, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,932 times
Where is a good place to live for a retiring mixed couple?

Old 12-17-2016, 01:31 PM

14,635 posts, read 14,497,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis83648 View Post
Anywhere of size, really. If you really want a small town, stick to more liberal college towns.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:51 PM

3,462 posts, read 3,158,058 times
Most all (white) people I know have long gotten over the fact that not everybody looks like a European white. Just remember - it's your culture, not your color. We had a bi-racial couple living in our lilly white, conservative as heck neighborhood 10 years before any other non-whites moved in. They were very well liked. Culturally, they fit right in - e.g., no kids running around with boom boxes wearing hoodies. They didn't look like us, but so what?

As for Florida, I would just avoid "crackerland" which is the panhandle and anywhere north of a line from 15 miles south of Daytona to New Port Richey. Those are not exactly mind-your-own-business places. Most everything else should be just fine. Happy retirement!

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 12-17-2016 at 02:00 PM..

Old 12-17-2016, 01:58 PM

26,817 posts, read 43,277,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis83648 View Post
Pretty much any of the traditionally progressive cities in Florida would suit you well. Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Hollywood, West Palm Beach, Tampa, St Petersburg, Orlando and Gainesville would be my recommendations, bearing in mind it can change somewhat considerably on the outskirts of some of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.