Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 10:46 AM

723 posts, read 805,775 times

Advertisements

Most of the time we hear about City Emergency Manager such as the one Detroit now has.
So I'm wondering whether a state can have an Emergency Manager?
Just asking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 12:13 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
It’s better to have the person who knows all the protocol as near ground zero as you can get. With communication today information can be relayed to a state department head in real time. One of the first persons in line with an emergency is a director of public works at ground zero. You wouldn’t want; traffic, water, and power grid options decided by someone who can’t act within minutes of a disaster.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:20 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
I think the O/P is referring to a Fiscal Emergency manager.

I don't think so, Cities (town, counties etc.) are a sub/units of the state, so state laws can permit creation of a Lower Level Fiscal Emergency manager.

Since the State are Independent entries with there own constitutions, the Federal Government can not just appoint someone to take over a state.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:25 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Most of the time we hear about City Emergency Manager such as the one Detroit now has.
So I'm wondering whether a state can have an Emergency Manager?
Just asking
Detroit exited from Bankruptcy and no longer has a city Emergency Manager. In fact, Kevyn Orr is possibly going to Atlantic City now. He did a good job.

Kevyn Orr to advise Atlantic City, N.J., in its financial crisis

Old 02-07-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Detroit exited from Bankruptcy and no longer has a city Emergency Manager. In fact, Kevyn Orr is possibly going to Atlantic City now. He did a good job.

Kevyn Orr to advise Atlantic City, N.J., in its financial crisis
I heard another guy replaced Kevyn, I'm not sure.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I think the O/P is referring to a Fiscal Emergency manager.

I don't think so, Cities (town, counties etc.) are a sub/units of the state, so state laws can permit creation of a Lower Level Fiscal Emergency manager.

Since the State are Independent entries with there own constitutions, the Federal Government can not just appoint someone to take over a state.

YES I'm referring to fiscal emergency manager, when the city is broke. Can a state file for bankruptcy ?

Old 02-07-2015, 03:33 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
I heard another guy replaced Kevyn, I'm not sure.
Are you referring to the financial advisory board? They don't quite have the same powers as an emergency manager but then technically isn't operating at the same position as an EM. The board includes the Mayor of Detroit, a Detroit City council member, and five members appointed by the governor as well the state treasurer and director of the Department of Technology, Management, and Budget of Michigan.

Basically, it's nothing more than an additional layer of bureaucracy between the city and the state to ensure that Detroit doesn't plow itself into another financial catastrophe. For all intents and purposes, Detroit is now run by its Mayor and city council members and is out of bankruptcy.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...tees/18822451/

Old 02-07-2015, 03:42 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
YES I'm referring to fiscal emergency manager, when the city is broke. Can a state file for bankruptcy ?
States can't file for bankruptcy. Only cities can. A state can force a city into bankruptcy after taking control of it with a financial emergency manager, but bankruptcies are always a last resort when all other options have been exhausted, like cutting services, raising taxes, etc.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:02 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
It’s better to have the person who knows all the protocol as near ground zero as you can get. With communication today information can be relayed to a state department head in real time. One of the first persons in line with an emergency is a director of public works at ground zero. You wouldn’t want; traffic, water, and power grid options decided by someone who can’t act within minutes of a disaster.
I feel like I woke up in the middle of a meetting and blurted something out. I have a long boring monthly meeting re-writting our Emergengy Management manual.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty
I feel like I woke up in the middle of a meeting and blurted something out. I have a long boring monthly meeting re-writting our Emergengy Management manual.
It is maybe because you are from a city where things are normal ( well-run). It is not always the case in the D (Detroit MI)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.