Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is New Jersey More Like Maryland or Connecticut
Maryland 55 55.00%
Connecticut 45 45.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:22 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times

Advertisements

You are more likely to eat a Maryland crab cake at the jersey shore than a lobster roll. Not to associate lobster rolls with CT specifically but more so New England. Also there are Wawa's and Royal Farms scattered around South Jersey and Maryland. Some what of a cultural connections between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 01:02 PM

3,701 posts, read 4,845,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
I said that earlier. People all throughout NJ not just central and southern NJ travel to Ocean City, MD. You see more New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania lisence plates during the break more than Virginia lisence plates. Although apparently you need links to back up that statement and not personal experience. Virginians tend to go south and not north. Such as Virginia Beach, Outet Banks and Myrtle. The only Virginians that frequently go to Ocean City are the people who reside in NoVa because they are actually closer to Ocean City than Va Beach.

Alexandria to Ocean City is 2 hrs and 38 minutes
Alexandria to Va Beach is 3 hours and 20 mins. Sometimes 4 hours if there is traffic.
Ocean City is a tourist town so of course you will see tags from other states. Yes, there are many Pennsylvanians here in the summer but if they want to go to the beach they kind of have to go out of state. Yes, in the past few years there are more New Yorkers and New Jersians vacationing in OC then in the past but they don't outnumber the Virginians. Plenty from VA as well.

And of course most Virginians are going to be from NOVA as it is closer to OC then VA Beach. Do you think those from VA beach, Norfolk and that area are going to cross the bridge tunnel to head up to OC when they have a similar beach town nearby? They also have the OBX close by as well. Likewise for those of us in MD, why go to VA beach when the OBX is not much farther? Now as far as the nearby towns in MD. I sure do see many more VA plates then all others combined (of course with the exception of MD and DE), as plenty work here in MD.

I won't mention anything else in this particular thread as I have no idea about Connecticut one way or another. My MD perception of the OP would be that NJ is more like Connecticut as I think of both places kind of being a suburb of NYC.

Last edited by marlinfshr; 02-11-2015 at 01:57 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 01:02 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,102 times
I know of 5 families that have moved from NJ (central and southern NJ) to Maryland (I have visited one of them several times) and it is a lot like NJ. They live in Montgomery County.

I have also been to Connecticut...

both are nice, but I still think the edge goes to Maryland. But even though I am from central NJ, I tend to associate myself more with South Jersey, so that could be why.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:22 PM

65 posts, read 67,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
You are more likely to eat a Maryland crab cake at the jersey shore than a lobster roll. Not to associate lobster rolls with CT specifically but more so New England. Also there are Wawa's and Royal Farms scattered around South Jersey and Maryland. Some what of a cultural connections between the two.
You don't even jave to get a 'Maryland' crab cake
We have blue crabs like MD, and lots of people eat crab cakes. We even have crab cake festivals. Not so in CT. We go to the 'shore' as part of our lifestyle, people from MD know what going to the 'shore' means. We are alot more likely say 'wooder' instead of 'wahtah'. Some people sound like they think NJ is the Sopranos or Jersey Shore or something, that is TV.

I've lived in all 3 states, we are more like Maryland. Hands down.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:23 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Ocean City is a tourist town so of course you will see tags from other states. Yes, there are many Pennsylvanians here in the summer but if they want to go to the beach they kind of have to go out of state. Yes, in the past few years there are more New Yorkers and New Jersians vacationing in OC then in the past but they don't outnumber the Virginians. Plenty from VA as well.

And of course most Virginians are going to be from NOVA as it is closer to OC then VA Beach. Do you think those from VA beach, Norfolk and that area are going to cross the bridge tunnel to head up to OC when they have a similar beach town nearby? They also have the OBX close by as well. Likewise for those of us in MD, why go to VA beach when the OBX is not much farther? Now as far as the nearby towns in MD. I sure do see many more VA plates then all others combined (of course with the exception of MD), as plenty work here in MD.

I won't mention anything else in this particular thread as I have no idea about Connecticut one way or another. My MD perception of the OP would be that NJ is more like Connecticut as I think of both places kind of being a suburb of NYC.
Ok what was the point of replying to me when you basically just restated everything I said? Did you even read my post? Did I ever say I think people from Norfolk will drive all way to OC, please read and comprehend before you reply....

Also Ocean City is only a regional tourist location.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:29 PM

65 posts, read 67,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Empiricism implies a certain degree of rigor. It's not simply "I saw some license plates." That sounds ridiculous.

Maryland, Delaware and Virginia are culturally, politically and economically connected. The Lower Counties of Delaware share the same historical settlement pattern as much of Maryland and Virginia. And of course, Maryland and Virginia are joined together as the most populous counties in each state are part of the same metropolitan area. If Richmond cuts its WMATA funding, it will have much greater consequences to Maryland than anything Trenton does.

The only connection to New Jersey are dialect similarities between Baltimore and South Jersey. And tourists. I don't see how either of those things makes Maryland more similar to New Jersey than Connecticut, particularly considering that the NYC metro is a complete monster that pulls the center of gravity of the state--culturally, politically and economically speaking--towards its northern half.
Are you kidding me? MD, NJ, PA, and DE are also very connected. It's called the mid atlantic. Seriously, where do you get this stuff. You make it sound like MD is a state located somewhere between VA and NC. Do you, a guy from Brooklyn really think you know NJ better than the people from there? Yet you speak like an authority, as if you are from NJ, Conn, or MD.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:35 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I know I've read before (years ago, sorry I don't have a link) that NJ and CT are the only two states in the country where poor whites are more likely to vote Republican than wealthier whites.

This is almost certainly because wealthier whites are disproportionately Jewish, while poor whites are not (often Italian or some other Catholic background). Still, it's a political similarity the two state share.
I posted an article on this phenomenon before. It's called The Persistence of White Ethnicity in New England Politics.

Quote:
Although the settlement patterns of the more established and numerous nationality groups (i.e. Irish and Italians) are less associated with partisanship than they were 50 years ago, the political salience of white ethnicity persists, suggesting that ethnic groups do not simply politically "assimilate" over time. Some groups maintain a strong identity in spite of upward mobility because movement from city to suburbs is selected not just on housing, income or school characteristics, as is usually the case, but on ethnicity too. Towns with significant concentrations of specific European ancestry groups lean Republican, even after we have accounted for the presence of other sources of political leaning and past voting tendencies.
http://cho.pol.illinois.edu/wendy/papers/pg.pdf

The bolded is also something observed in NJ and CT but not MD. In the former, you will find many towns that are 30% Italian, 25% Irish, etc. There is much stronger ethnic residential concentration, not only racial residential concentration. In Maryland, residential concentrations run strictly along racial lines, not ethnic ones. Of the Top 500 cities and zip codes for Italian ancestry in the U.S., not a single one is found in Maryland.

That lends a bit of a different feel to local politics as well. Although people are quick to attach the "liberal" label to all three, I don't consider many places in the Northeast to be that progressive when it comes to race. I would say Maryland is much better in this regard.

[SIZE=1][SIZE=1]

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 02-11-2015, 01:36 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
Now I realize how different people from different parts of Jersey are. South jersey people are weird. They're like southern rebels in a northern state. They don't even identify with the rest of their state, like they are stuck in a time warp.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:40 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Now I realize how different people from different parts of Jersey are. South jersey people are weird. They're like southerners in a northern state. They don't even identify with the rest of their state, like they are stuck in a time warp.
The ignorance. Are you even from Jersey? You have such a strong opinion? I lived in Northern NJ and they do identify with there state. Don't know where you got that from. New Jersey is exactly like California in this sense of cultural secession. Although South Jersey isn't that southern, you're exaggerating quite a bit to make a point.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:42 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post

And of course most Virginians are going to be from NOVA as it is closer to OC then VA Beach. Do you think those from VA beach, Norfolk and that area are going to cross the bridge tunnel to head up to OC when they have a similar beach town nearby? They also have the OBX close by as well. Likewise for those of us in MD, why go to VA beach when the OBX is not much farther? Now as far as the nearby towns in MD. I sure do see many more VA plates then all others combined (of course with the exception of MD), as plenty work here in MD.

I see more NJ plates than anything, followed by PA, many who commute from south PA to work in Baltimore. But I live near Baltimore, I see more VA plates when I go to southern MD/DC.

Also in our schools we are flooded with Jerseyites, including UMD near DC. Towson is probably 25% Jerseyite, with a lot of New Yorkers, Pennsylvanians and Delawareans. You are as likely to come across Virginians there as New Englanders.

Don't know how it was for you, but at OC I go every year and for my senior week it was a mix of MD/DE/NJ and to a lesser extent PA. I am highly skeptical of there being more Virginians there than Jerseyites, really skeptical. Outside of the DC area part of MD I come across more Jerseyites by a long shot. As a Marylander I am sure you are aware of the running jokes about New Jersey plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.