Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 06:56 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Based off of your description, you have never been to Philly. Philly has plenty of high density housing (Philly is arguably the 2nd most urban city in the U.S.). Philadelphia is number 2 after NYC when it comes to the most bodegas/papi stores/corner stores or whatever you want to call them and in Philly, they are usually operated by the same demographics (Puerto Ricans and Dominicans) that you will find in NYC. However, there are not many middle eastern operated stores like you will find in NYC.
I was going to say the same thing. Every block has their corner store in Philadelphia. The issue with the rowhouses is there is nowhere for supermarkets, so people rely on the small bodegas on the corner. This is a problem because aren't exactly choosing the most healthy stuff and availability of fresh fruits and vegatables is limited creating "food deserts" that are just full of corner stores selling crap. A change needed to happen so an organization known as The Food Trust created the "Healthy Corner Store Initiative" in which 700 locally owned bodega's agreed to sell healthy products instead. Sorry to get off topic but the corner store is a pretty big part of life in the neighborhoods of Philadelphia and was confused why the OP said they are here and there in Philly, when in reality there are thousands and play an integral role in normal life. If you think thousands of corner stores are here and there than I doubt you will find anywhere outside of NYC that will impress you.

http://thefoodtrust.org/uploads/medi...l.original.pdf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 08:38 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
I'd say they're pretty common in every urban area along the I-95 corridor, from just north of Boston south to Wilmington, and spreading west to Lancaster, York and Harrisburg. Also a strong presence centered around the Baltimore/Washington area as well in Ohio (from Youngstown north to Cleveland) and Illinois (in and around Chicago).

Old 02-11-2015, 08:39 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Based off of your description, you have never been to Philly. Philly has plenty of high density housing (Philly is arguably the 2nd most urban city in the U.S.). Philadelphia is number 2 after NYC when it comes to the most bodegas/papi stores/corner stores or whatever you want to call them and in many parts of Philly, you can find one or more bodegas/stores located on every corner and they are usually operated by the same demographics (Puerto Ricans and Dominicans) that you will find in NYC. However, there are not many middle eastern operated stores like you will find in NYC.
Philly/Camden/Trenton. Usually operated by Dominicans now.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 AM

690 posts, read 1,006,533 times
In Baltimore we just call them corner stores or the actual name of the store.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:11 AM

676 posts, read 960,479 times
Not the U.S., but these are extremely common in Montreal (called "dépanneur", even in English).

Old 02-11-2015, 09:21 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
In Philly, most people call them papi stores. That's what I call them anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Also a strong presence centered around the Baltimore/Washington area as well in Ohio (from Youngstown north to Cleveland) and Illinois (in and around Chicago).
There aren't really many bodegas in Washington, DC. Mt. Pleasant and Columbia Heights would have the largest concentration, but those are the only two areas, if by "bodega" you mean a Latino run store.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,574 times
FWIW: bo·de·ga
bōˈdāɡə/
noun
a small grocery store, especially in a Spanish-speaking neighborhood.
a wine shop or wine cellar.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:30 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
There are 3, perhaps 4, just within the three blocks of my apt here in Chicago, although they are run mostly by Ethiopians. They are pretty prevalent in Chicago.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:45 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
Miami and New Orleans have them, but these small business candy stores are everywhere in America, I think, from small towns to country roads and big cities. Out in the southwest, some people probably still call them tiendas.

Sometimes, I wonder where have half of you been your whole life. You never saw a corner store?

Old 02-11-2015, 10:10 AM

814 posts, read 1,149,832 times
Big corner store aficionado here. In any city I happen to be in, I always try to patronize them before any national chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.