Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 07:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
In TN they are not called bogeda either, just a store, convenience store. Most small stores here sell gas too. The word bogeda must be a northeastern thing.
I believe it is but the South has a lot of small convenience stores and local town liquor stores, hillbilly hangouts are what they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 12:03 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
I know Baltimore has some, don't know whether or not they call them bodegas up there.

DC has some as well, but they're not called bodegas around here. They're mainly just called corner stores or marts/food marts down here, also liquor stores in some cases.

Last edited by tcave360; 02-14-2015 at 12:12 AM..

Old 02-14-2015, 12:05 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Where else in the USA is the "Bodega" a common sight? In NYC, every block, every corner will have one, or at least 7 out of 10 will have at least one. Some have more.

For what is a Bodega? I am not sure how to describe it. I guess, it is what Seven Eleven must have started out as. It is basically a small store that sells snacks like chips and candy, and bottled drinks like nestle, coke, sprite, juices, sometimes alcohol. They almost all sell cigarettes, and lottery. Which are probably the biggest money maker. Often they will have the deli counter, and make you sandwiches, but most places dont look that clean or great, and most people wont buy their sandwiches. I dont know why they persist and have them though in the store when it makes them no money. But some places do look nice and clean, and people will buy their sandwiches.

It has a spanish name, and I guess because much of the hispanic population will frequent these stores here in NYC, but so does everyone else. I have noticed many are run by people with middle eastern descent. In the 90s it seemed many in Manhattan were owned by korean, and that is where I believe we get that korean grocer stereotype from. But it seems they have largely left that business model behind, and the middle eastern descent persons have taken over that industry in NYC.

So I ask where else is this common sight. I have been to Philly, and I will see one here and there, but not too much. Philly does not have that much high density housing. The Jersey Burbs of NYC nor Long Island have bodegas really. They have supermarkets instead.
One of the things that I like about NYC bodegas is that most of them always have a cat in-house

Old 02-14-2015, 06:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Wow we all live in the same nation, but our language is definitely not the same. I have never heard of a "bodega" or a "packie". This must be regional.
Me either - they're called the corner store around here.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:07 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,890 times
D.C. has countless corner stores mostly owned by Koreans and Ethiopians.

Old 05-21-2022, 04:50 PM

1,094 posts, read 808,185 times
I saw a bodega sequel store in Jacksonville's north side where they made sandwiches and fries but it's no where mear as common as you'll find in the northeast.

Old 05-21-2022, 04:58 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I saw a bodega sequel store in Jacksonville's north side where they made sandwiches and fries but it's no where mear as common as you'll find in the northeast.
Dont you guys have Winn Dixie everywhere?

Old 05-21-2022, 05:03 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Where else in the USA is the "Bodega" a common sight? In NYC, every block, every corner will have one, or at least 7 out of 10 will have at least one. Some have more.

For what is a Bodega? I am not sure how to describe it. I guess, it is what Seven Eleven must have started out as. It is basically a small store that sells snacks like chips and candy, and bottled drinks like nestle, coke, sprite, juices, sometimes alcohol. They almost all sell cigarettes, and lottery. Which are probably the biggest money maker. Often they will have the deli counter, and make you sandwiches, but most places dont look that clean or great, and most people wont buy their sandwiches. I dont know why they persist and have them though in the store when it makes them no money. But some places do look nice and clean, and people will buy their sandwiches.

It has a spanish name, and I guess because much of the hispanic population will frequent these stores here in NYC, but so does everyone else. I have noticed many are run by people with middle eastern descent. In the 90s it seemed many in Manhattan were owned by korean, and that is where I believe we get that korean grocer stereotype from. But it seems they have largely left that business model behind, and the middle eastern descent persons have taken over that industry in NYC.

So I ask where else is this common sight. I have been to Philly, and I will see one here and there, but not too much. Philly does not have that much high density housing. The Jersey Burbs of NYC nor Long Island have bodegas really. They have supermarkets instead.
Philly:

Depending on your generation and where you grew up it’s either “corner store”, “numbers store” or “papi store” or “papi’s” for short. They’re on the end of what feels like every block intersection.

Old 05-21-2022, 06:57 PM

1,348 posts, read 880,768 times
I seen a decent amount in Miami Beach. Most cities have something similiar but they're normally ran by Arabs or Indians. Minneapolis has some ran by Somalis.

Old 05-21-2022, 08:17 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Seattle has something like a bodega. But they're usually a bit smaller, like just 10 kinds of vegetable (the kind that can last), 3-5 kinds of cereal, etc. The beer, wine, and ice cream selections tend to be pretty good. People go there for quick/heavy things and go to supermarkets occasionally for other stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.