Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 05:23 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,675,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Kokomo is a nice small city of about 55,000 people. It offers more than similar cities it's size. As you mentioned if you need to get to Indy it's about a 50 minute drive and that's going to speed up when the new US 31 opens up at the end of the year.
Missouri kind of lost any positive reputation it had after ferguson and even 6 months later there are huge left over effects on the entire state. Southwest Missouri is very southern and kind of hillbilly if you ask me.
Lol, you could at least try not to be such a sad homer you know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 05:27 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,675,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
I am considering moving to either, Nevada, Missouri, or Kokomo, Indiana. Kokomo is North of Indy, and Nevada is 90 miles South of KC. I have been through Nevada, and I thought the landscape was very pretty. But I worry about quality of life in Missouri. My impression of Missouri is that it's kind of a broken-down state with cities that look like ash trays. But nonetheless, I thought the area South of KC was quite pretty. Do you have any thoughts that might help me? I like to live in a place where there are patches of woods, mixed with farmland. I thought both places has this type of landscape.
I advise you to grow-up at least another ten years... Randomly picking two towns "out of a hat" based on criteria that would apply to literally thousands (and you admit you know almost nothing about either of them...) and simultaneously dismissing metros in the 2 & 3 million range is really sad...

Old 02-21-2015, 06:52 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Actually, Nevada is in the western United States which borders California to the west, Oregon and Idaho to the north, Utah to the east, and Arizona to the south.
Actually, he's talking about the town of Nevada in SW Missouri.

I would pick Kokomo for being close to Indy and not as "backwards" as SW MO though its a colder climate. It would remind you of your home in IL.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:13 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
I am considering moving to either, Nevada, Missouri, or Kokomo, Indiana. Kokomo is North of Indy, and Nevada is 90 miles South of KC. I have been through Nevada, and I thought the landscape was very pretty. But I worry about quality of life in Missouri. My impression of Missouri is that it's kind of a broken-down state with cities that look like ash trays. But nonetheless, I thought the area South of KC was quite pretty. Do you have any thoughts that might help me? I like to live in a place where there are patches of woods, mixed with farmland. I thought both places has this type of landscape.
Well two things. First, this post is not what you asked in the title. Both states have very nice areas and awful areas. These two towns are not representative of either state. Second, you need to elaborate on your criteria, or at least give us some sort of insight as to how you arrived at these two cities as relocation options. As others have pointed out, your criteria describes large parts of the country. I'm not seeing what makes either of these towns special. From what I'm gleaning from your post, you're looking for a more rural area with nice topography/natural setting.

I would easily choose at least a dozen other locales in MO and IN over Nevada and Kokomo. Nevada's only positives are that it's close to KC and close to NW AR/Ozarks/Branson area though that's not everyone's cup of tea. For me, if I had to live somewhere like Nevada, I would take advantage of hiking opportunities nearby but that's me. If you are afraid of a hillbilly culture, it is less and less hillbilly the closer you get to KC, and anywhere north of KC will also be even less so.

Kokomo is just sort of meh. It's not bad, but it's nothing special IMO. Sort of close to Indy, kinda close to Chicago but there is no easy way to get to Chicago from Kokomo because no major interstates go through Kokomo. You have to drive to W. Lafayette and pick up I-65 from there. If I wanted a rural lifestyle without sacrificing access to a city, which I don't, I'd rather live somewhere near Bloomington, or somewhere in eastern NWI like rural Porter County, or maybe somewhere south of West Lafayette/Lafayette for better QOL. Those are three areas that have cornfields and farmland but are also more interesting IMO than Kokomo. More to do there, better natural beauty (Bloomington is a really great city unto itself, and has Brown County/Hoosier Nat'l Forest; Lafayette/W Lafayette decent college town (Purdue) with some cool things to do, somewhat close to cool areas like Turkey Run; Porter Co. has the lake). All are within a three to four hour drive or less to both Indy and Chicago.

PC to Indy: ~2-2.5hrs
PC to Chicago ~1hr

Bloomington to Indy ~1hr
Bloomington to Chicago ~3-4hrs

Lafayette to Indy ~1hr
Lafayette to Chicago ~2.5 hrs

Kokomo to Indy ~1.25 hrs
Kokomo to Chicago ~2.75hrs

Last edited by Bluefox; 02-21-2015 at 10:40 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 10:35 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Also, I'm not sure if weather is of concern for you but that area of MO where Nevada is located is prone to icy conditions frequently in the winter and very violent storms in the spring. I need not remind you of Joplin. While winters there are certainly milder than anywhere in IN, summers are awful in terms of heat, humidity and bugs so that's something to consider. Indiana is prone to nasty weather as well but I'd rather deal with the weather there. Most of KC metro area is actually not quite as bad in terms of violent spring weather as most of the dangerous systems go to the south.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:26 PM

195 posts, read 333,809 times
Perhaps I would have a reason to go to a major city, but the reasons are few. The only good reason that comes to mind is if i get sick (I am in my mid-50s), and need more advanced medical care. But aside from that, I am quite content in town that is within 100 miles of a city (if for nothing else, the TV signal). Yeah, I am thinking Nevada is not a good choice. I really don't see myself moving to Kokomo, either. Nevada was honestly the only one I was considering. Kokomo I pulled out of thin air because it is in Indiana, a state I admire politically, and for its beauty. Lately (these past few days), I have been thinking about the South. Mainly, Mississippi or Alabama. I have read that other people are moving there, as well. I like the woods, and both of these states have plenty of wooded lands. There are some pretty cool cities in both MS and AL, namely the college towns. I am not someone who dreams about moving, but never does. I have very few reservations about packing up my belongings and moving someplace new.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:50 AM

195 posts, read 333,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well two things. First, this post is not what you asked in the title. Both states have very nice areas and awful areas. These two towns are not representative of either state. Second, you need to elaborate on your criteria, or at least give us some sort of insight as to how you arrived at these two cities as relocation options. As others have pointed out, your criteria describes large parts of the country. I'm not seeing what makes either of these towns special. From what I'm gleaning from your post, you're looking for a more rural area with nice topography/natural setting.

I would easily choose at least a dozen other locales in MO and IN over Nevada and Kokomo. Nevada's only positives are that it's close to KC and close to NW AR/Ozarks/Branson area though that's not everyone's cup of tea. For me, if I had to live somewhere like Nevada, I would take advantage of hiking opportunities nearby but that's me. If you are afraid of a hillbilly culture, it is less and less hillbilly the closer you get to KC, and anywhere north of KC will also be even less so.

Kokomo is just sort of meh. It's not bad, but it's nothing special IMO. Sort of close to Indy, kinda close to Chicago but there is no easy way to get to Chicago from Kokomo because no major interstates go through Kokomo. You have to drive to W. Lafayette and pick up I-65 from there. If I wanted a rural lifestyle without sacrificing access to a city, which I don't, I'd rather live somewhere near Bloomington, or somewhere in eastern NWI like rural Porter County, or maybe somewhere south of West Lafayette/Lafayette for better QOL. Those are three areas that have cornfields and farmland but are also more interesting IMO than Kokomo. More to do there, better natural beauty (Bloomington is a really great city unto itself, and has Brown County/Hoosier Nat'l Forest; Lafayette/W Lafayette decent college town (Purdue) with some cool things to do, somewhat close to cool areas like Turkey Run; Porter Co. has the lake). All are within a three to four hour drive or less to both Indy and Chicago.

PC to Indy: ~2-2.5hrs
PC to Chicago ~1hr

Bloomington to Indy ~1hr
Bloomington to Chicago ~3-4hrs

Lafayette to Indy ~1hr
Lafayette to Chicago ~2.5 hrs

Kokomo to Indy ~1.25 hrs
Kokomo to Chicago ~2.75hrs
Thank you for your answer (as well as everyone else's). You are right my subject title didn't match the content. I am a bit indecisive and confused about what I want. I have always been this way. I have moved many times, and it is always the same; uncertainty. I have no good reason for not liking Boise, Idaho. But I have been here 4 years, and want something different. I picked Nevada because I have a FB friend in that area. I pulled Kokomo out of my proverbial butt. What a horrible choice for a place to relocate to for no good reason. If one is going to relocate somewhere for no good reason, the place must at least have an X factor, or some charm. Bloomington would fit the bill, I think. I really doubt anyone here can help me. I will be moving in 3 months when my lease is up. I am certain of this much. I might even go to the Panhandle of Florida, which is obviously much different from the aforementioned SW corner of MO, or Northern Indiana. Thanks for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.