Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The Census definition is probably the historic definition. We have talked about this on other threads and I have found evidence that even in the later 1800s, even Maryland was usually not considered Mid-Atlantic or Northeast. Maryland was still southern.

But times change. At some point, people in Maryland began to identify more with their northern Mid-Atlantic neighbors then their traditional Southern neighbors. After that came transplants moving into Virginia. Maybe next it will be North Carolina.
Sure, I was just offering another take on what some consider to be Mid-Atlantic, meaning it does differ depending on who/what you ask.

What I really have a problem with is people saying NJ is not Northeastern. It may seem ridiculous, but it's quite annoying to me. Every once in a while on these types of threads someone pops up saying adamantly that NJ and PA are not Northeastern, and it's mind-boggling to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 09:13 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I know, kind of a confusing question. But what city do you think is the marker of a new region (North East, Mid Atlantic, South). For me I would say Atlanta to Richmond is the South (Florida is a completely different monster), Richmond to NYC is the mid Atlantic, and NYC to Boston is the North East. Anyone disagree with this & think these regions have different starting points?
Is the Richmond area connected enough with Atlanta yet? It seems to me that Atlanta is more connected to somewhere in North Carolina, say like Greensboro. I am not sure if Atlanta is connected all the way to Richmond yet.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:19 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Is the Richmond area connected enough with Atlanta yet? It seems to me that Atlanta is more connected to somewhere in North Carolina, say like Greensboro. I am not sure if Atlanta is connected all the way to Richmond yet.
I was thinking in terms of culture, not economies. Richmond is much more connected with DC than it is with Raleigh. But I do think Richmond is the border between the south & the mid atlantic

Old 02-17-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Sure, I was just offering another take on what some consider to be Mid-Atlantic, meaning it does differ depending on who/what you ask.

What I really have a problem with is people saying NJ is not Northeastern. It may seem ridiculous, but it's quite annoying to me. Every once in a while on these types of threads someone pops up saying adamantly that NJ and PA are not Northeastern, and it's mind-boggling to me.
They are wrong. If you type in the words "Northeast United States" and check images, you will see that New Jersey is considered to be part of the Northeast the great majority of the time.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I was thinking in terms of culture, not economies. Richmond is much more connected with DC than it is with Raleigh. But I do think Richmond is the border between the south & the mid atlantic
Makes sense, I see what your saying.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:27 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
This is just another way to ask "are Maryland and Delaware northern, southern, or neither?" and I predict if this thread picks up it will turn into that.

Also - I live in a Northeastern state, but not by your definition. Mid-Atlantic states can also be classified as Northeastern or Southern. The Census definition (but who cares about that right?!) defines the Mid-Atlantic as NY, NJ, and PA and New England as the obvious New England states, and those two regions together make up the Northeast.
No one wants any more threads on that subject, believe me...

NJ is a northeastern state, hands down, no further questions. NY is too, but only NYC is really part of the Mid-Atlantic. New York State does share a border with Canada, and cities like Buffalo and Syracuse are too cold and snowy to be considered Mid-Atlantic..

Als, once you've hit New Haven, you've left New England. The atmosphere becomes much more NYC-like than anything in New England..

Old 02-17-2015, 11:01 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,559,594 times
Quote:
… Sorry, but New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania are all Northeastern states. They can also be called Mid-Atlantic if you want, but they are uncontested Northeastern. Mid-Atlantic is like a weird area that blends Northeast and South. It is not its own region independent of others.
I contest Pennsylvania being Northeastern since it has very little in common with New England and the Midatlantic makes more sense if your from PA then the Northeast does since PA actually shares borders with Maryland and West Virgina and shares more in common with those states then it does with New England.

Quote:
Every once in a while on these types of threads someone pops up saying adamantly that NJ and PA are not Northeastern, and it's mind-boggling to me.
Why? I make the case a lot that the term "Northeast" is useless on here whenever this is brought up since PA and New England aren't very similar to each other and the fact PA has more in common with other parts of the country then New England. I always get people in shock about that but I've yet to see a real good explanation of why exactly PA is a Northeastern state exactly. The answers I get are usually the census bureau says so even though the EPA has Pennsylvania grouped not grouped with New England, New York or New Jersey or the federal reserve region which cuts PA in half and gives southern half of New Jersey to the one PA region. Honestly I think regional definitions in this country need a redo.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:08 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,559,594 times
Quote:
I know, kind of a confusing question. But what city do you think is the marker of a new region (North East, Mid Atlantic, South). For me I would say Atlanta to Richmond is the South (Florida is a completely different monster), Richmond to NYC is the mid Atlantic, and NYC to Boston is the North East. Anyone disagree with this & think these regions have different starting points?
New York is Northeastern and it's very different state the Virginia and having the two together doesn't work. New York should be grouped with New England with that making up the "Northeast."

Old 02-18-2015, 09:30 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
Do people get offended by being called northern or southern if they are in the middle now?

Old 02-18-2015, 09:42 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
New York is Northeastern and it's very different state the Virginia and having the two together doesn't work. New York should be grouped with New England with that making up the "Northeast."
New York is very different from New England. For one, it wasn't even an English colony to begin with, so the whole administrative set up is different. PA is in the Northeast because the eastern portion of the state, closer to the East coast, is where the majority of the population lives. PA also borders the Great Lakes, you would not call it a Great Lakes state because of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.