Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:43 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That is merely arguing semantics. According to your definition, Maryland isn't white-collar dominated either.

What I meant by that description is that there's a very large percentage of highly-paid, highly-educated people - a similarity that all 4 of these states share among many other things and places them among the wealthiest in the United States. Simple concept really.
True, but there's also a significant blue-collar presence in the tri-state area as well. That's a characteristic Maryland, particularly Baltimore, shares with areas north of it but not DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 09:21 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
But you'll notice that whenever any comparisons come up they go to all kinds of length to prove their similarity with a NE city/state, yet won't put in the same effort to argue the similarities with Southern cities/ states.
Well, we know why that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Maybe because being associated with the south comes with negative stereotypes such as racism, being backwards, homophobic, poor, religion hostility, etc.
You will hear all types of comments like "Maryland reminds me of New England," which is fine if that's your opinion, but then if you post something like this...

Quote:
"I'm from South Carolina but I think Southern Maryland is more ‘Southern' than where I came from," he said. "The lower part of the state, Waldorf and below, is Southern compared to where I came from. To me, Southern heritage is based on God, based on patriotism, based on friends, based on family."
Just how Southern is Southern Maryland?

...it's vigorously contested.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:44 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
The Northern Mid-Atlantic has more ethnic whites than the southern Mid-Atlantic. That's the main difference. It is a culture thing. Now you can stop arguing.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:08 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,637 times
This topic also applies to Florida along with Maryland and Delaware, because the same people that hate it when people associate Maryland and Delaware with the South also hate it when people associate Florida with the South.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
This topic also applies to Florida along with Maryland and Delaware, because the same people that hate it when people associate Maryland and Delaware with the South also hate it when people associate Florida with the South.
You literally cannot get any further south than Florida, so if Florida isn't Southern then I don't know what is.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:54 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You literally cannot get any further south than Florida, so if Florida isn't Southern then I don't know what is.
I consider Florida to be Southern, but there's alot of people on here that don't despite Florida's far south location.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:45 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
It's interesting though, that Delaware very rarely comes up in North/South discussions (at least not that I'm aware of). The fact that the most populous part of the state being unequivocally part of metro Philly may be why, but they seem to stay out of any North-South arguments.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:24 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It's interesting though, that Delaware very rarely comes up in North/South discussions (at least not that I'm aware of). The fact that the most populous part of the state being unequivocally part of metro Philly may be why, but they seem to stay out of any North-South arguments.
That is an interesting question. You don't really see Wilmington characterized as a once Southern city the way you do Baltimore and DC. That was pretty much the characterization of Baltimore and DC up until the 1960s and 70s.

Quote:
The glimmering glass pavilions, pyramid-shaped aquarium and spiffy red-brick downtown baseball park that today lure tourists by the millions to Baltimore's Inner Harbor were little more than blueprints on a developer's drawing board when, in 1970, I first left the sleepy Southern town of my birth.
WEEKEND EXCURSION - How Dowdy Old Baltimore Turned Fashionable - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Baltimore is a Southern city. When I came here, Baltimore was as Southern, if not more so, as my hometown of Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Nathaniel Branson - Social Work - UMBC

There are parts of Delaware that are, I think, indisputably Southern in culture. But it doesn't seem that Wilmington was ever that way or perhaps it was such a very long time ago that nobody who knew it as a Southern city is living today. Maybe in another 50 years, after all the old timers have completely died off and Maryland demolishes its Confederate monuments, people will forget that it was ever Southern and these types of articles and threads will all go away.

I also agree that being a core part of the Philly metro probably tampers down a lot of that discussion.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:45 PM

27,562 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
The Northern Mid-Atlantic has more ethnic whites than the southern Mid-Atlantic. That's the main difference. It is a culture thing.
That is a part of the history of the northeast.

However, it is much less relevant to present day realities than it used to be.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That is a part of the history of the northeast.

However, it is much less relevant to present day realities than it used to be.
I disagree. Italian, Irish, and Jewish culture is still incredibly strong around here, through parts of PA, New York, and parts of New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.