Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the worse winter?
Pacific Northwest 14 14.89%
Northeast 80 85.11%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 06:20 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Umm, Upstate New York has notoriously ****ty weather. Continental cold + Lake effect snow. You'd probably have to go to Minnesota or North Dakota or something to find equally horrible weather. Thats not what majority of the people in the Northeast experience though.
We don't get lake effect snow in Minnesota. In fact, we only get 54" of snow in the winter here in Minneapolis, which is barely more than New England cities receive, and substantially less than Great Lakes cities like Cleveland, Buffalo, Erie, or Upstate New York and interior New England.

It's actually brilliantly sunny here for most of the winter, but with colder temps. A normal day in January is 25ºF with sunshine — really not bad at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 05:55 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
We don't get lake effect snow in Minnesota. In fact, we only get 54" of snow in the winter here in Minneapolis, which is barely more than New England cities receive, and substantially less than Great Lakes cities like Cleveland, Buffalo, Erie, or Upstate New York and interior New England.

It's actually brilliantly sunny here for most of the winter, but with colder temps. A normal day in January is 25ºF with sunshine — really not bad at all.
Intresting I always have this perception that Minneapolis was just bitter cold throughout the winter is that it's so far north. I guess it has a more dry cold than a wet cold.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:50 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,264,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I guess it has a more dry cold than a wet cold.
Wet cold doesn't really exist in true form across the Eastern US.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:53 PM

6,709 posts, read 6,711,443 times
I'm still recovering from growing up in Massachusetts. And please don't tell me the snow is beautiful. After you've had 8 feet of it in one season and it's in brown clumps everywhere, or worse in plowed and sanded brown snow mountains in strip mall parking lots, it makes the entire area look like a climate ghetto.

My wife grew up around Portland, Oregon, and yes the rain isn't fun, but it's green everywhere in winter. What I would have given to have seen a green blade of grass in January or February growing up.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:00 PM

6,709 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
We don't get lake effect snow in Minnesota. In fact, we only get 54" of snow
That's more than Logan Airport!

That said, people forget that Boston is the windiest large city in the country, avg wind speeds are even higher than Chicago's thanks to the Atlantic. The blizzards that come with the Nor'easters are their own special sort of weather hell. And when the sun dares to try and warm things up in April, the Atlantic winds bring in back door cold fronts that cut the temps back to the 40s when it's 20-30 degrees warmer in NY and DC.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:53 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
Quote:

While lake effect is not as common in the Arrowhead region as in the true snowbelt regions like the UP, it does happen with easterly winds. Random snow squalls happened a dozen times when I live in Duluth. Duluth gets 80-85 in annual snowfall which puts in good competition with even some snowbelt cities.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:39 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I for one agree! I actually miss the amount of snow in Upstate NY. Philly only holds onto snow for a few days at most.

Driving an hour or two to get to the snow =/= admiring it from the comfort of your window, or playing in your yard or nearby park. To each their own. And I say all this knowing that by about January 15, I am fully ready for springtime.
This is true, in places that snow a lot, there's a comfort in knowing you'll get to experience it again soon. Whereas if it happens to you in south texas, you get excited, but then realize it won't happen again for ten years.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:37 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Exactly why do you think it doesn't snow in the Pacific Northwest? There are ski resorts, chains required, and passes that get closed due to weather every winter.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:18 AM

401 posts, read 331,262 times
I don't mind the rain and drizzle. But I read someplace that the sunrise and sunset in the PNW is later and earlier, respectively and I don't like the dark for prolonged periods of time. For example: Today in Providence SR 6:47 SS 4:19 Portland SR 7:23 SS 4:33 and Seattle SR 7:29 SS 4:24. The difference in the morning would make a difference, and I could have sworn I looked it up further along in the winter and the sun doesn't rise until 8:00 or later.

PS: I also read someplace, as per an earlier poster (probably one from 2015 as I didn't have time to scroll through the entire thread) that Chicago was nicknamed "The Windy City" as in they have a lot of "Windbags" and not because of the wind. Good thing they didn't name it after "Gasbags"

Old 11-24-2019, 04:15 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Would depend if you had to cross the Cascades at all or not.

If in Western WA&OR only, the Northeast winter is more brutal, but the passes across the Cascades get almost as much snow as anywhere on earth in winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.