Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the worse winter?
Pacific Northwest 14 14.89%
Northeast 80 85.11%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 07:14 PM

608 posts, read 317,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The West Coast is unique in the US, particularly at the northern end. From Seattle, you can have a 10-1 ratio of annual rainfall within weekend-home range. Plus urban areas that average over 40 for winter highs vs. permanent glaciers.
The PNW coast is very different than the northeastern part of the country. The terrain from Oregon and Washington up into British Columbia is very similar to the terrain of Scandinavia with an inland sea and multiple glaciated mountain ranges in between. Much of it not really suitable for human development.

This might come as a surprise to some, but Seattle is actually one of the driest spots in Western Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 07:20 PM

8,753 posts, read 6,674,180 times
Yes, but my main point was it's sagebrush on the other side.

Old 01-17-2021, 01:35 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,712,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
This might come as a surprise to some, but Seattle is actually one of the driest spots in Western Washington.
I feel for a vast majority of people the only major city they know in Washington is Seattle. I live in the state capitol (which has worse weather than Seattle) and I'm sure a lot of people couldn't even name it without looking it up. Anyway, as someone that grew up in New England and has also lived in NYC for a dozen+ years and has been out here in the PNW going on 5 years now it really depends on what you consider worse. My take:

PNW winters (strictly speaking of western Washington lowlands):
- Hovers just above freezing most of the time
- Snow is pretty rare and it often melts within a day. It also shuts most things down depending how much we get but in the northeast it would be laughable to shut stuff down for the amount we get here. That said, it's much more hilly out here and the snow melt could freeze and cars will be sliding all over the place and there isn't much in the way of infrastructure here to deal with snow since it's so uncommon and is just gone in a day so probably not worth investing in tbh.
- Overcast and/or raining majority of days. Toss in lots of foggy days to go with it.
- Sunny days are rare in winter and it's not uncommon to go weeks without ever seeing the sun but you can catch occasional "sunbreaks" if you're lucky.

Northeast winters (NYC and New England region):
- A fair bit colder depending how far north you are. NYC isn't really too cold in winter tbh.
- Snow. You'll get a lot more of it in the northeast but depending where you are it might not stick around for long.
- Sun. You will get much more sun in winter in the northeast region.
- Infrastructure. The northeast has much better infrastructure to deal with snowfall than the PNW. 2" of snow in the northeast is nothing and kids will still go to school and adults will go to work. Here in the PNW 2" would shut everything down completely.

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 01-17-2021 at 01:58 PM..

Old 01-17-2021, 01:54 PM

8,753 posts, read 6,674,180 times
You live in the capitol building? Or just the capital?

Old 01-17-2021, 04:37 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,057,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I feel for a vast majority of people the only major city they know in Washington is Seattle. I live in the state capitol (which has worse weather than Seattle) and I'm sure a lot of people couldn't even name it without looking it up. Anyway, as someone that grew up in New England and has also lived in NYC for a dozen+ years and has been out here in the PNW going on 5 years now it really depends on what you consider worse. My take:

PNW winters (strictly speaking of western Washington lowlands):
- Hovers just above freezing most of the time
- Snow is pretty rare and it often melts within a day. It also shuts most things down depending how much we get but in the northeast it would be laughable to shut stuff down for the amount we get here. That said, it's much more hilly out here and the snow melt could freeze and cars will be sliding all over the place and there isn't much in the way of infrastructure here to deal with snow since it's so uncommon and is just gone in a day so probably not worth investing in tbh.
- Overcast and/or raining majority of days. Toss in lots of foggy days to go with it.
- Sunny days are rare in winter and it's not uncommon to go weeks without ever seeing the sun but you can catch occasional "sunbreaks" if you're lucky.

Northeast winters (NYC and New England region):
- A fair bit colder depending how far north you are. NYC isn't really too cold in winter tbh.
- Snow. You'll get a lot more of it in the northeast but depending where you are it might not stick around for long.
- Sun. You will get much more sun in winter in the northeast region.
- Infrastructure. The northeast has much better infrastructure to deal with snowfall than the PNW. 2" of snow in the northeast is nothing and kids will still go to school and adults will go to work. Here in the PNW 2" would shut everything down completely.
Yes Olympia sees a lot of fog for some reason, but the further north you go, fog becomes a lot more rare. I think even Lacey has more sun than Olympia.

Old 01-18-2021, 12:31 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,384,983 times

Sunset today, 50s out, middle of January.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
You live in the capitol building? Or just the capital?
state capital my bad lol

Old 01-18-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Yes Olympia sees a lot of fog for some reason, but the further north you go, fog becomes a lot more rare. I think even Lacey has more sun than Olympia.
Yeah it's foggy today even. Wish there was sunshine data for Olympia. I'd be interested in seeing how it compares to Seattle, Bellingham, and Forks(the only places in the westside of the state we have data for). Seems crazy there isn't given it's the capital of the state.

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 01-18-2021 at 10:37 AM..

Old 01-18-2021, 10:31 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Temp wise, I'm not sure Seattle is much worse than Dallas in the winter.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:48 AM

5,678 posts, read 4,836,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Yeah it's foggy today even. Wish there was sunshine data for Olympia. I'd be interested in seeing how it compares to Seattle, Bellingham, and Forks(the only places in the westside of the state we have data for). Seems crazy there isn't given it's the capital of the state.
Tacoma also has sunshine data, it has 2,167 hrs of sunshine. Darkest month is November with 60 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.