Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 5,069 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone,

This may be a long post.....Just looking for some feedback from anyone who have been in the same situation or can give an idea of what to expect.

I currently live / work in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area. I have an undergraduate degree in Psychology, and have done nothing remotely in the field. (I had intentions of research type careers, but nixed the idea of grad school in Psychology). My employment background has been primarily in business - particularly, banking, commodities and marketing. My current position has me trading commodities and handling the marketing of this small commission house for grains.

I am currently back in school for a second undergrad (English w/MIS minor). I will be done next year. I have every intention of moving out of Minnesota. I've been here 14 years & decided I could probably do without the snow & humidity.

I'm looking to relocate to Sacramento, Las Vegas or Seattle. I have done some research via the internet on these cities. However, I'm interested in hearing from people who actually have moved out of Minneapolis to any one of these cities. Well, anyone really - who have moved to any of these citites.

I'm looking for a career switch - I'm not sure what really. I'm looking for something related to my degrees. However, if I absolutely have to, I suppose I would not opposed to working in fields I've encountered over the years. I'm also looking for feedback on cost of living & overall atmosphere of the city. This year, I do plan to make some arrangement to spend some time in each city, but am a little apprehensive that the little time spent there may not be a good judgement.

Last note, I moved to Minnesota from Central California 14 years ago - just turned 18 when I left. I'm sure things have changed since.

Again, sorry this is so lengthy! Big THANKS in advance for all your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 01:25 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
I moved to Minneapolis from Sacramento many years ago, and I can say this to you-don't move to Sacramento if you want any type of real career. As far as career possibilities, quality of life and the chance to actually make a decent salary you would be best served staying in Minneapolis.

I do not know why you would choose LV, but I am sure that milquetoast could find many reasons for you .

Seattle could be hit or miss. It seems that jobs and housing are slim pickings, but if you do land something there may be potential for career growth.

I would stick to MPLS.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:39 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,438 times
Of those I would say Seattle, unless that weather depresses you. I would guess that all 3 cities have a much higher cost of living than Minneapolis, although I',m not sure. I live outside of Sacramento, it is a nice city, but also very expensive.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:20 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Of these 3 I would without hesitation pick Seattle.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:39 AM

433 posts, read 2,356,186 times
I lived in Minneapolis for many years and I live in Sacramento now. I like it here. Nice place. Housing is more expensive compared to MPLS but prices are falling. The difference in price is not that great. The weather here is first rate. I've lived in the Puget Sound area near Seattle and did not like the weather much. Very depressing. Seattle is a nice city though.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:00 PM

284 posts, read 1,657,164 times
I live in Minneapolis now, but love Seattle so that would be my pick.

Having moved around the country, I suggest you do a job search and see where you find the best opportunity. That strategy took me to some places I'd never have chosen otherwise (suburban Detroit, Jacksonville, FL), but turned out to be both personally and financially rewarding.

If you have no specific direction, follow the money.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:36 PM

8 posts, read 25,109 times
Hi, I live in Las Vegas, do not come here. It will suck the soul from your body. We are moving to Seattle later this year (me and my 84 yr old mother) Yes, she is desperate to get out of here too. The cost of living is getting high, the crime rate is out of control and the heat is oppressive. I was a junior escrow officer when I came here 6 years ago. It was such a hostile environment that I went back to food service just to try and get happier (I also went back to school). School has kept me going.
Las Vegas attracts good and bad people, unfortunately, the good move on and the bad stay. It has a really trashy feel here. My nephew came here a year ago, he is 25, had some fun at first. He moved back to California because he realized that he could not make any real friends that wanted to do more with themselves than drink and gamble. I was relieved that he left. My advice, go to Seattle or Minneapolis. Any where but Las Vegas.
PS. The great economy here is beginning to tank, gaming is down and people are walking away from their houses.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:57 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,342,405 times
I do not understand a previous poster who said Sacramento is poor for a career. I think that is a pretty wild assesement. Sacramento has been at the top for me as far as being recruited for work, meaning I have been getting offers there without even trying!

I love Sacramento. I think that would be my first choice.

I love las vegas too....just maybe not for living. Though, I would give it a chance, I would pick sac over las vegas, and las vegas over Seattle.

I would never really want to move to seattle though..... it is a distant 3rd for me.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:55 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,863 times
Seattle is an awesome, beautiful city, but you gotta be able to handle the weather(which personally i can't, i'm originally from Arkansas and need sunshine, so i'm moving to San Diego ). I've never actually lived in Sacramento, but have spent a decent amount of time there and really liked it. I think its a nice smaller city, very comfortable, doesn't suffer from terrible traffic like Seattle, nice weather, etc. I've only spent a short amount of time in Vegas, but enjoyed it very much. The strip is excellent, the people are friendly, the weather is nice a lot of the year, etc etc. Its an awesome thing to see when you're coming from the North on the Interstate, go over this hill, then see what appears to be a sea of light....that big body of light is Las Vegas! Such a cool thing And i LOVE desert sunsets....beautiful! Hope one of these places works out for ya, get a break from those brutal winters!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:30 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
Quote:
Hi, I live in Las Vegas, do not come here. It will suck the soul from your body. We are moving to Seattle later this year (me and my 84 yr old mother) Yes, she is desperate to get out of here too. The cost of living is getting high, the crime rate is out of control and the heat is oppressive. I was a junior escrow officer when I came here 6 years ago. It was such a hostile environment that I went back to food service just to try and get happier (I also went back to school). School has kept me going.
Las Vegas attracts good and bad people, unfortunately, the good move on and the bad stay. It has a really trashy feel here. My nephew came here a year ago, he is 25, had some fun at first. He moved back to California because he realized that he could not make any real friends that wanted to do more with themselves than drink and gamble. I was relieved that he left. My advice, go to Seattle or Minneapolis. Any where but Las Vegas.
PS. The great economy here is beginning to tank, gaming is down and people are walking away from their houses.
Honestly, in my experience, the only people who dislike living in Las Vegas are those who come in with a crappy attitude. The vast majority who move out here love it - if they didn't, our city wouldn't be growing as fast as it is.

The thing is - the whole "trashy" image around the strip doesn't really affect the residents. It will only bother you if you seek it out. I know very few residents that actually go out and gamble for fun. Living in LV is just like living in any other major city.

And...it's really not that expensive here, compared to most of the country. Many people move here because it's so affordable. And the city is constantly full of new jobs, so aside from the housing market (which is affecting the whole country), I wouldn't say that our economy is going to "tank" any time soon.

I'm not saying that Vegas is the best choice for the poster (it depends on what they're looking for), but there are many positives to living in the valley:
-Excellent restaurants, golf courses, live entertainment, etc. Some of the best in the world.
-Mild winters and tons of sunny days.
-Cheaper than Seattle and Sacramento.
-Minimal traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.