Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 09:31 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

Catholicism is not only an urban religion in the United States but a rural one. Many Midwestern communities were founded by Catholic immigrants. Did you grow up in such a community, where the Catholic Church was often the only one or the largest one by far in town? This community may be an extreme example in terms of its tiny size, but it gives you the idea:

Saint Anthony, North Dakota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 10:06 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
Southern Louisiana is heavily catholic. Also look into St Marys county in Maryland.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:30 PM

312 posts, read 482,008 times
My mother spent a portion of her adolescence living on a farm in upstate New York in a farming community that was mostly Italian immigrants like her. Italians are generally catholic (Italian new worlders moreso than Italians in Italy outside of Sicily and Naples which has become really secular). The area used to be really rural so I guess it fits the bill. Now it's just NYC exurbs with a large Hasidic Jewish colony.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:35 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,606,364 times
This makes me think of Westphalia, Michigan. I didn't grow up there, but it was nearby. A neat and tidy town of about 900 residents with mostly German heritage, built around a catholic church, and surrounded by well-kept farms and dairies. I would imagine that towns similar to it are even more common in Wisconsin, though.

History of Westphalia, Michigan

Old 02-26-2015, 09:28 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,012 times
In the East, it is still Suburban areas where Catholic's who grew in wealth, moved to and built homes. Not the Farming areas. Though many Suburban areas are former farming areas. The East is full of small towns where Catholic upward mobile families? Moved and built homes in the outskirts of the small towns in the 60s especially. I remember the story of how my former small town and others around it, having a high Catholic Population. Moving into basically the farming Protestant areas, creating basically a suburb of these small towns. Found the Protestant Farmers in the 60s all refused to sell land for a new Catholic Church. They finally did get their Church, the wealthiest Parish of the County and a Monastery. Of course today it is no issue with inter-marriages and all accept each other not really worrying about your neighbors religion.

But though some new Churches get built as Catholics moved to newer developments. The Church began consolidating and closing many Catholic Churches through small towns all over PA . In fact... 1/3 of all Catholic Parishes were consolidated in PA in the last 3 decades. My former Small hometown once had 5 Churches, it now has 2. Same with other small towns all through the state. The Coal region small towns of PA were heavy Catholic and were hit especially hard.

The Harrisburg parishes here listed were closed by the late Bishop Dattilo. HARRISBURG DIOCESE Almost all were debt free and financially well endowed. The closings were opposed by the parishioners. The churches were sold very cheaply to both Protestant and Moslem organizations and the monies confiscated by the diocese. That was in the 80s. Other Diocese have had more recent closings.

Harrisburg Diocese 28 closures http://saintspeterandpaulrcm.com/clo...ses_of_har.htm

Allentown Diocese 44 closed Churches PICTURES: Allentown Diocese churches that closed - The Morning Call

Scranton Diocese 91 closed Churches Scranton moves to close nearly half its churches - The Deacon's Bench

New Jersey and New York states were heavily affected also

All Diocese have been hit in the States and massive school closings too. Philadelphia last year had a Massive one last year.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:33 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
My mother spent a portion of her adolescence living on a farm in upstate New York in a farming community that was mostly Italian immigrants like her. Italians are generally catholic (Italian new worlders moreso than Italians in Italy outside of Sicily and Naples which has become really secular). The area used to be really rural so I guess it fits the bill. Now it's just NYC exurbs with a large Hasidic Jewish colony.
In the North Country area of Upstate NY, you have a lot of people of French descent that area largely Catholic as well. Any decent sized community in that area had a K-12 Catholic school at one time.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:15 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
There are any number of small towns in the midwest that have a substantial Catholic population, esp in MN, NE, IO, WI. One parent of mine was a product of such a place..

Old 02-27-2015, 12:26 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
This sounds like much of Wisconsin or Michigan. Many German Catholic towns there, but that does not mean Catholicism dominates in the Midwest the way it does in the urban Northeast. There are even more Lutherans, Methodists etc. Even so Catholics are a very large group of people with a fair amount of influence in the Upper Midwest.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:40 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
There are a cluster of rural majority Catholic counties in Kentucky SE of Louisville. They were first settled by Anglo Catholics from Maryland.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:22 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,056 times
I grew up in a small town in New Hampshire with a lot of French-Canadian descendants. We had 2 Catholic churches for our pretty small town. Although the religious tradition in general is dying throughout the state and most of the people you would see now at Mass are the 65+ age group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.