Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 10:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,877 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm graduating with my M.S. in Technology this spring, specializing in social media and data analytics, and I'm looking to move to a state with better climate.

I'm in Illinois and here's what it's like:
Winter -5 F, too cold to snow, maybe 12 snow days. I wear snowpants and two jackets walking from car to work just to avoid the windchill. Snow doesn't bother me as long as there's public transit or the city plows the roads. It's hit or miss out here.

Summer 95-105 F with 100% humidity. One week of fall, one week of spring, and the rest is either winter or summer. Heat doesn't bother me too much; although, I've never experienced a dry heat. Something between those two extremes would be fantastic.

I grew up in a town of 20k people, went to school in a city of 100k (although 25k of that is pure student population), and I'm comfortable with that size. I've spent time in Chicago and dislike the traffic and amount of litter everywhere. It's a great place to visit but I'd not want to live there. Rent around here is $550-750 for a 1br, parking lot for car, quiet neighbors. From what I've seen compared to other cities, that's really cheap.

For the most part, I'm an indoors person. Chalk it up to having a tech degree and love of PC games. I do love the sunshine when I get outdoors but I'm not a hiker or runner or anything so all those frills are wasted on me. My college buddies and hometown friends all moved and we keep in contact online; I'm rather introverted so this has worked out great for me. I have a cat and I'm still wondering how I'm going to move him when I get out of state.

Cities I've visited:
Seattle, WA. Went for a two day visit while seeing friends. Lots of green, friendly people, but it might be more of a vacation spot (like Chicago is to me) than a live here spot. I've heard about a "Seattle freeze" and the cost of renting looked like $1300-1500/mo. I'm hoping there's smaller, cheaper towns around Seattle?

Denver, CO. Visited for a day, liked the sunshine, my friends liked the bars (but I'm a non drinker). Same issue as Seattle, might be a better vacation spot and rent was $1000-1500/mo even when I briefly looked at Boulder.

Portland, OR. Went for a day, saw a really big bookstore, and I think I saw a hipster. Not sure, didn't care, and I got freaked out when someone pumped gas for me. Reminded me a bit of Chicago and it was overcast so that wasn't exactly bonus points for me wanting to visit again.

Locale first, job second.
I know that violates a lot of rules but I just want to be happy with my surroundings everyday. Or most days. I've turned down jobs in my town because I just can't take this junk weather anymore. I might be too confident in my schooling to think I can move anywhere and get a job there but I've been told by a lot of people, "You're young, go and explore while you still can."

I have given absolutely zero thought into moving to a different country. Not that I'd be against it. I just don't know how my education would transfer or how I'd get my kitty over there safely.

If you have some other suggestions of where to go I'm all ears! I've spent the past week on job websites and craigslist looking at salaries and cost of living but I really want to get a better "feel" for the areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 07:07 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Check out Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro in NC which I think might offer the weather and vibe you're looking for along with a decent cost of living and a very viable job market with your degree. Cats are an easy move by the way with a pet carrier and a mild sedative from the vet which will prevent freak outs and running away, and there are a good many pet-friendly hotels these days so getting there won't be a hassle.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:33 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,617,454 times
If you don't like the outdoors (and do like sun) there's really no reason to look at the PNW cities. Higher cost in large part for amenities that hold no value for you. Plus moving a cat that far would not be joyous.

Raleigh-Durham is a good suggestion. If you can live close to work it will feel reasonable in scale.

Another option would be Richmond, particularly if your IT background is transferable to work in finance (say, security or financial database mgmt, etc.).

Old 02-24-2015, 03:42 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,896 times
Park City, Utah? It's a nice place.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,362 times
Check out Kentucky baby, especially Eastern Kentucky you might like the hollers bro

Old 02-24-2015, 04:07 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Agree with what bler144 said. If you're not into the outdoors there's no sense paying a premium to live in the PNW or Colorado.

I personally wouldn't go from Chicago to the southeast because while the humidity may be slightly less in the interior southeast, the average summertime temps will be slightly higher and will offset any comfort you might feel from the climate being just a tad bit drier.

I'd say try either the Desert Southwest (Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas) or Boise if you're looking for a change of pace.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,877 times
Ooo Vegas? This is how small town I am: I've only ever thought of that as a vacation spot. I've never been there and the thought of people living there with normal lives is like "whoa really?" to me. I really need to get out more.

I'll have to check out all these places everyone mentioned!

Bler144, my IT background isn't in finance/security sadly. I could learn it but it'd take a bit. I focused on web development and general IT stuff (database design, telecom, middleware, ect).

Old 02-25-2015, 01:23 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,796,574 times
Arizona??? Has a better climate and some nice scenery. Flagstaff is such a pretty town, and of course there is Phoenix. California would be an expensive option, but they have some of the best weather in the country. If you can stand the humidity you might also consider a local below the Mason Dixon line, Nashville?? Atlanta???, Charlotte?? If you want better weather then you will have to look at either the southeast or southwest.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:37 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,963,287 times
Why not look south? Somewhere like Asheville might be up your street. Not cheap though.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:28 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,617,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky1877 View Post
Ooo Vegas? This is how small town I am: I've only ever thought of that as a vacation spot. I've never been there and the thought of people living there with normal lives is like "whoa really?" to me. I really need to get out more.
Vegas is an interesting city, off the strip. I don't entirely mean that in a praise-worthy way. But it's interesting.

I probably linked this in a separate forum, but Wired's article on Vegas is worth a read for any tech person considering it: How Zappos' CEO Turned Las Vegas Into a Startup Fantasyland | WIRED

Now, whether the rebirth of Vegas will take is an entirely different question, and personally the climate isn't for me. But there's definitely more to the city than the strip. And CSI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.