Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,118 times

Advertisements

Was wondering what the best places were that combine the greatness of the outdoors with the activities/social life that people in their 20's are interested in. States like Montana or Wyoming, as beautiful as they are, don't offer much in the way of meeting people or going to events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 08:46 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,427,706 times
Minnesota, Colorado, Florida, Washington, Oregon, California. I'm sure there are some more.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:52 PM

312 posts, read 482,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureTeddy View Post
Was wondering what the best places were that combine the greatness of the outdoors with the activities/social life that people in their 20's are interested in. States like Montana or Wyoming, as beautiful as they are, don't offer much in the way of meeting people or going to events.
Upstate NY towns like Woodstock or New Paltz or Ithaca.
All surrounded by beautiful nature, the last two are college towns so they have young people oriented stuff and the first two are a decent drive to NYC (an hour or 90 mins give or take)

There's also Asheville NC which is basically a hippy city like Berkeley East surrounded by the mountains...it's gorgeous up there. The only two kinda of people in the city are young hippy environmentalists and rich retirees from DC area.

There's always any city in most of northern California but its mad expensive and there is a general sense of smug and "I'm more radical leftist environmentalist than you!" pissing contest stuff in SF, Berkeley, Santa Cruz, and Arcata to an extent (less so because everyone is too baked to argue about anything other than where they should go get some nachos...seriously). If you find a smaller community like a family oriented suburb you will have access to the young people stuff in the city, the beautiful nature, and you will avoid the smugness that makes the above listed cities unbearable. Contra Costa County, or Marin County (avoid Sebastopol which has the smug I was talking about)

I think Portland and Seattle have what you're looking for as well, but I am not knowledgable about the coastal PNW

Old 02-24-2015, 09:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
OP, this is a big country with a lot of outdoor recreation, so where to begin?

I love CA, so that's where I'd go. Look for a town with a large college or university and there will be young folk. Look for a town with the kind of weather for the kind of outdoor activity you enjoy.

No humidity = west coast. Warm beaches = southern west coast.

Need snow? Mountains or farther north. Or, drive to the snow, which you can do in CA, but then drive home to where there is no snow.

And the entire state is not crazy expensive. The Eureka/Arcata area is quite affordable, has a university, has lots of recreation including coast and giant redwoods. And in my experience, not like what the poster above described.

Good luck to you in your adventure.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:27 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,394,271 times
That's why WY and MT are so great, not crawling with 20-somethings. The loudest most violent age group.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,630,502 times
Colorado and Oregon.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:58 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,854,264 times
Vermont is a pretty awesome state. Surrounded by pretty awesome states.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:27 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,132,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
That's why WY and MT are so great, not crawling with 20-somethings. The loudest most violent age group.
You're not contributing to answering the question, you are only trying to start something, and furthermore your post is self-evident about the unwelcome, hostile, judgmental ignorance that would give the northern Rockies a bad name (minus places like Jackson/Tetons/Yellowstone, Missoula, Glacier NP).

Old 02-25-2015, 03:35 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,132,098 times
OP, any of the major metro areas in the west are going to have what you are looking for. Despite the fact that California cities are known to be expensive (minus Sacramento which is more affordable) people make it work by either downsizing their housing or by commuting a little further. Any of the major CA cities will have tons of social groups for people in their 20s and 30s who love hiking, camping, kayaking, climbing, surfing, etc. etc. both locally, as well as in other parts of the state and beyond into other western states.

Obviously the other usual suspects in the west are great places. Seattle, Portland, Denver-Boulder, etc. Out of these Denver-Boulder is the one I am personally familiar and seem to prefer.

Other smaller big cities in the west that can also be great for meeting people in their 20s and 30s that I have a little knowledge of would include college towns like Tempe, Tucson, Albuquerque. Possibly Reno, NV might even be an idea (closest city to Lake Tahoe), even SLC, Utah is becoming a bit more progressive.

Places that come to mind in the east however would include largely college towns. The larger cities in the east are hard to meet outdoorsy people.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:04 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,903,286 times
Idaho, the Boise area and up north in the Coeur d'Alene area which is near Spokane. The Boise and Spokane metro areas are similar in population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.