Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:29 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,102,358 times

Advertisements

There are countless small towns in EACH deep south state, as well as NC, VA, Arkansas, Western TN that are majority black and safe.

In Georgia alone there are too many to name, over 100.

I'm from Macon, which is a small metro but not really a rural or small town, and it can get dangerous in parts, but surrounding me within an hour you have

Culloden (70.9%)
Unadilla (62.1%)
Eatonton (59.3%)
Danville (51.2%)
Irwinton (57.1%)
Forsyth (57.6%)
Marshallville (78.4%)
Fort Valley (74.7%)
Gordon (51.6%)
Reynolds (50.6%)
Vienna (66.9%)
Monticello (53.5%)
McIntyre (57.5%)

and if you're not just stuck on "majority black" they have plenty others that are 30-49% black, i.e. Milledgeville is 47% black, Warner Robins is 36% black, Gray is 41% black, Roberta is 48% black, Butler is 48% black, etc.

Barnesville, GA has around 6,000 people and is 49% black. It's around halfway between Atlanta and Macon,
perfect position to be close to big city amenities but still retains it's small town values and feel. It also has a college there called Gordon. If I had to live in a tiny town I'd probably chose somewhere like Barnesville. Close to there you have Thomaston which is 35% black and Griffin which is 49% black.

Many of those are very small towns with under 10,000 people, towns like Milledgeville are a little larger but still small. That isn't even all of Georgia, just Middle Georgia. See, it's just too many to name. You almost got me carried away just naming places. There's actually MORE in South GA and East GA kinda near Augusta than in Middle GA.

List of U.S. communities with African-American majority populations in 2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One thing some people may not understand about the deep south is many rural southern whites and blacks live in peace together with no problems really. i.e. I know people have seen or heard of Honey Boo Boo, well the town they live in is actually one I listed above and is majority black, McIntyre. It only has 650 people though.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 03-04-2015 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 12:41 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
How many majority black small towns are there in the north though? It cant be that many. Well, not if he means small as in rural.
Besides Wilberforce OH, maybe a few towns in southern Illinois and maybe a town in a state or two, you're not going to find that. You may get some more at around 35%, but still not too many more.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:04 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
List of U.S. communities with African-American majority populations in 2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-04-2015, 09:02 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,102,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Besides Wilberforce OH, maybe a few towns in southern Illinois and maybe a town in a state or two, you're not going to find that. You may get some more at around 35%, but still not too many more.
Man, I've always been interested in that area, and also the bootheel of Missouri. When you look at a black population demographic map, they just look like extensions of the South. The delta region at that.

Towns like

Cairo, IL
Charleston, MO

just found out this interesting fact looking up stuff about that area

Mississippi County has borders across the river with four Kentucky counties, but there is no direct highway connection among them due to the barrier of the river. None of the four Kentucky counties that border Missouri has any direct highway connection with Missouri, making Kentucky and Missouri the only two U.S. states to border each other, even across a major river, without a direct highway connection between them. This reflects the relatively low populations among these counties, which are largely rural in character.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Man, I've always been interested in that area, and also the bootheel of Missouri. When you look at a black population demographic map, they just look like extensions of the South. The delta region at that.

Towns like

Cairo, IL
Charleston, MO

just found out this interesting fact looking up stuff about that area

Mississippi County has borders across the river with four Kentucky counties, but there is no direct highway connection among them due to the barrier of the river. None of the four Kentucky counties that border Missouri has any direct highway connection with Missouri, making Kentucky and Missouri the only two U.S. states to border each other, even across a major river, without a direct highway connection between them. This reflects the relatively low populations among these counties, which are largely rural in character.
Basically and some small towns in the Metro East area of the St Louis metro on the Illinois side like Venice, Madison and some other small communities in St Clair have high Black percentages as well.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:09 AM

This community seems to fit most of what you are looking for: Pamplico, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Town of Pamplico - HOME*

Florence School District Two - Homepage

Here is another nearby community: Scranton, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Scranton, South Carolina SC

Florence County School District 3 :: Welcome to Florence County School District Three

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-05-2015 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.