U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 PM
 
9,325 posts, read 7,900,845 times
Reputation: 4669

Advertisements

What are some Japanese restaurants or restaurants serving Japanese cuisine in your areas that are frequented by Japanese and Japanese Americans?

Most of the Japanese restaurants or restaurants attempting to serve Japanese style cuisine, in my area, are run by Chinese in fact. They mostly cater to the non Japanese crowd. They do a lot of all you can eat sushi, with tempura, teriyaki, and the what nots. My area is the NYC metro. These seem like the only option around.

I am going to imagine that this is the same in most of the major metros like SoCal, Nor Cal, Chicago. But what are some actual authentic Japanese restaurants in your area that is frequented by Japanese, and Japanese americans, and not catering to tourists or people who are just looking for the sushi, tempura, teriyaki stereotype?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2015, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Westminster/Huntington Beach, CA
1,780 posts, read 1,372,591 times
Reputation: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What are some Japanese restaurants or restaurants serving Japanese cuisine in your areas that are frequented by Japanese and Japanese Americans?

Most of the Japanese restaurants or restaurants attempting to serve Japanese style cuisine, in my area, are run by Chinese in fact. They mostly cater to the non Japanese crowd. They do a lot of all you can eat sushi, with tempura, teriyaki, and the what nots. My area is the NYC metro. These seem like the only option around.

I am going to imagine that this is the same in most of the major metros like SoCal, Nor Cal, Chicago. But what are some actual authentic Japanese restaurants in your area that is frequented by Japanese, and Japanese americans, and not catering to tourists or people who are just looking for the sushi, tempura, teriyaki stereotype?
Many if not all of the sushi places or Japanese BBQ places I have been to in SoCal are run by Japanese people. Some of the more hip chain places like Gyu-Kaku have a mix of younger servers, hostesses, etc. who are Japanese, Vietnamese, some Chinese, however.

I don't normally see the mix you are talking about where I live. Chinese places are mostly run by Chinese people here, and same goes for the Japanese and Vietnamese places around me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2015, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
28,490 posts, read 27,282,731 times
Reputation: 35725
Sagami in Collingswood, NJ. It's in my top five. There were always Asians in the restaurant. Sometime, most of the patrons were Asian. If I wanted Chinese, Vietnamese, something else, I went to Philadelphia.

I'll never eat raw fish at an "all you can eat" buffet. You may as well go outside and lick the sidewalk.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2015, 08:17 AM
 
63,378 posts, read 88,871,245 times
Reputation: 13842
http://komachi.us

Welcome to Sakana-Ya

sushi
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2015, 01:57 PM
 
312 posts, read 392,144 times
Reputation: 389
My buddy (who is Cantonese) told me that the Chinatown restaurants have a separate menu with real Chinese food for Chinese people and then another for us unrefined Caucasians who like General Tsos Chicken
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2015, 05:05 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
15,502 posts, read 16,815,839 times
Reputation: 14778
There are some Japanese restaurants in San Jose Japantown and San Francisco's Japantown, which are still run by Japanese and Japanese-Americans. You can usually tell by the attentive Japanese manners and politeness of the staff.

Some Japanese restaurants here in the Bay Area are run by Chinese or Koreans. The service and food ranges from excellent to average. In most cases, you can tell the difference. I once went to a sushi restaurant run by non-Japanese and has a sashimi filet that was frozen, when I bit into it. Ugh!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2015, 05:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: NYC
46,070 posts, read 45,113,499 times
Reputation: 14963
Outside the west coast, there's not much of a Japanese population, so it's a hard question to answer. In California (and of course Hawaii) most Japanese would be owned by those of Japanese descent. New York has some, and I remember meeting a few people of Japanese descent in New York, but their numbers are small compared to Chinese and Koreans and the overall % relatively low:

Japanese-American Population Data | Asia Matters for America by the East-West Center
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2015, 02:42 PM
 
22,468 posts, read 33,331,396 times
Reputation: 21976
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Outside the west coast, there's not much of a Japanese population, so it's a hard question to answer. In California (and of course Hawaii) most Japanese would be owned by those of Japanese descent. New York has some, and I remember meeting a few people of Japanese descent in New York, but their numbers are small compared to Chinese and Koreans and the overall % relatively low:
I agree and would throw in Washington DC where you see a considerable number of Japanese diplomats, press corps and visiting professionals in the many excellent Japanese restaurants in town.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2015, 05:46 PM
 
722 posts, read 1,028,390 times
Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
My buddy (who is Cantonese) told me that the Chinatown restaurants have a separate menu with real Chinese food for Chinese people and then another for us unrefined Caucasians who like General Tsos Chicken
those types of restaurants usually have Chinese menus posted on the walls hand written in Chinese, since very few non Chinese can read it.

usually specials of the day or seasonal dishes, etc
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Seattle
7,081 posts, read 7,241,512 times
Reputation: 9862
The first place that comes to mind is Mitsuwa Market. I've only been to the ones in San Diego and Chicago but they both have food court areas that are quite clearly authentically Japanese and filled with Japanese patrons. Really phenomenal food too!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top