Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 11:03 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
People aren't taught to hate it. That's like saying most people are taught to hate the smell of manure. For most people, cold weather is naturally uncomfortable. That's why restaurants don't offer outdoor seating when it's 32 degrees outside.
Well, for instance, I prefer the heat, like most people. But I feel like people are taught to have a bad attitude with the cold, or something. I feel like the attitude becomes a "culture" and spreads around.

And then during the summer, you see most people in the South hibernating indoors with the AC cranked, for MONTHS. All of my cousins and friends who are Florida natives always have their curtains and blinds shut all the time. And they avoid going outside most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 11:08 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, for instance, I prefer the heat, like most people. But I feel like people are taught to have a bad attitude with the cold, or something. I feel like the attitude becomes a "culture" and spreads around.
People hate it for the same reason they hate locusts. It becomes a plague. It's holding up the show. Everyone is ready for exposed backs, legs and biceps, swimming pools, young interns in pencil skirts, swimming, rooftop parties, picnics, etc., and yet Jack Frost sticks around like that lone Republican senator filibustering the hell of the Affordable Care Act Bill.

Quote:
And then during the summer, you see most people in the South hibernating indoors with the AC cranked, for MONTHS. All of my cousins and friends who are Florida natives always have their curtains and blinds shut all the time. And they avoid going outside most of the time.
At least the nighttime offers relief during the summer months. How many people do you think will be on Harlem Tavern's outdoor patio tonight?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:09 AM

533 posts, read 642,587 times
Quote:
I actually believe that most people are taught to hate the cold. Right now I'm here in CT and we've had snow every other day this week and I'm doing perfectly fine. Life goes on. I'm not sick of winter. I conditioned my mind to just accept it for what it is. It's all about attitude. We can look forward to enjoyable weather for the next 7 months, while the people living in Texas and Florida will be SUFFERING in extreme heat and humidity for 4-6 months nonstop, as they are constantly clamoring for climate controlled indoor temperatures. A lifestyle of AC 24/7. Personally, I think summers in CT get too hot sometimes and honestly, it sucks when you have to wear long sleeved business clothes to work like I do. There is NOTHING worse than walking into the office all sweaty in business clothes. GROSS!

The almanac was correct when it said that this winter would be much colder than average. The almanac also says that this summer will be much hotter than average. Not sure I'd want to be down south in the summer this year!
WTH! No one in their sane minds teaches their kids to hate the cold. I for one loved the cold weather until one winter when it changed. I can certainly appreciate that some people really like the cold because I used to be one of them. But now I am a warm weather person and I can see the other side too. I am CRAVING for the Texas heat. I am certainly out and about even when it is 100+ F just like I used to be when it was 20 F when I lived in MN. I certainly would be ENJOYING it just like some of you are enjoying the cold weather and snow now.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:15 AM

This is the best feeling. After a long, hot day and all of your neighbors are sitting out on their porches/stairs/stoops. Kids are outside laughing and playing. Elderly women are smiling. Frankie Beverly is a Philly native, btw, and you'll hear this song being played a lot during the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYpXCkW3BDA

Old 03-05-2015, 11:18 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
It's not in effect the same. I won't argue with one person about their specific preferences but we can argue averages. That's an objective fact.

In Houston, during the summer, I actually see more people outside than in their(Houston) winter. Though in both seasons people are fairly consistently outside. In the summer, outdoor patios fill to the brim with people, in the winter people stay inside. In the summer, the beaches (Galveston), parks, are full. In the winter not so much. In both seasons you have people jogging and walking (not so much because this is Houston, and things are not laid out well for pedestrians in the majority of neighborhoods).

In Detroit or Minneapolis in the winter, there is pretty much no one on the streets. And I mean it. I lived in all 3 places. Houston summer -> people outside and enjoying it. Detroit winter -> people are indoors and grumbling.

It's not my opinion, it's pretty much a statistical fact. Maybe there is some random individual who will like a Detroit winter over a Houston summer, but he or she is in the minority statistically speaking. In a very tiny minority going by people's behaviors in each season. Unless ofc, people just like an excuse to remain indoors.
Well I've lived in Minneapolis for over 20 years, and I can tell you people are outside everywhere. I can't speak for Detroit though.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:21 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Well I've lived in Minneapolis for over 20 years, and I can tell you people are outside everywhere. I can't speak for Detroit though.
No they are not. You can find 1 or two, but the city is dead in the wintertime. And it's something acknowledged there. I happened to move in the winter, and everyone kept telling me

"Oh just wait for the summer, you will see. This place is awesome in the summer, everyone comes outside!"

And yeah, when summer came, the streets were 100x more crowded.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
No they are not. You can find 1 or two, but the city is dead in the wintertime. And it's something acknowledged there. I happened to move in the winter, and everyone kept telling me

"Oh just wait for the summer, you will see. This place is awesome in the summer, everyone comes outside!"

And yeah, when summer came, the streets were 100x more crowded.
I had an interview in Fort Lauderdale back in May of 2013 and thought the humidity was INTENSE. I am a heat lover and couldn't handle it. I'm so glad it didn't work out. I couldn't imagine living there, having to dress up for business/work and live in those harsh conditions. It was too much for me to handle.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
People hate it for the same reason they hate locusts. It becomes a plague. It's holding up the show. Everyone is ready for exposed backs, legs and biceps, swimming pools, young interns in pencil skirts, swimming, rooftop parties, picnics, etc., and yet Jack Frost sticks around like that lone Republican senator filibustering the hell of the Affordable Care Act Bill.

At least the nighttime offers relief during the summer months. How many people do you think will be on Harlem Tavern's outdoor patio tonight?
Well maybe if you're in your 20's then yeah. But for those of us who are 30+, we don't care about rooftop parties, young interns and biceps.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:27 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
Quote:
I had an interview in Fort Lauderdale back in May of 2013 and thought the humidity was INTENSE. I am a heat lover and couldn't handle it. I'm so glad it didn't work out. I couldn't imagine living there, having to dress up for business/work and live in those harsh conditions. It was too much for me to handle.
Ok, good for you.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Well maybe if you're in your 20's then yeah. But for those of us who are 30+, we don't care about rooftop parties, young interns and biceps.
Uh, most of the "young professionals" in Manhattan are 30+. Sex and the City was based around four women in their late 30s/early 40s.

And you don't have to be in your 20s to enjoy a picnic, a nighttime movie at Brooklyn Bridge Park or quality time chatting with your neighbors outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.