Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 03:12 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,923,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
maybe for someone like you, but not for someone like me. Your statements are not fact, but just opinion... and I, like many others, have heard your opinion several times and understand you like living in your "subtropical paradise." We got it, dude.
Yes, but unfortunately, you, along with the other people, lack awareness of the fact that living can be done comfortably (for the most part) in the South year-round with neither A/C or Heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 03:21 PM

371 posts, read 543,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Yes, but unfortunately, you, along with the other people, lack awareness of the fact that living can be done comfortably (for the most part) in the South year-round with neither A/C or Heat.
I have severe heat intolerance.... anything above 80 is EXTREMELY hot for me. Especially with humidity. I am sick with nausea and headaches almost every day right now due to it being summer in your beloved "subtropical paradise." So no, it is not lack of awareness...it is my body can not function in a climate with heat and humidity no matter how much I try to "acclimate" to it. I have been here a total of 27 years and it has actually gotten worse each summer! So again, your opinion is that: an opinion.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I have severe heat intolerance.... anything above 80 is EXTREMELY hot for me. Especially with humidity. I am sick with nausea and headaches almost every day right now due to it being summer in your beloved "subtropical paradise." So no, it is not lack of awareness...it is my body can not function in a climate with heat and humidity no matter how much I try to "acclimate" to it. I have been here a total of 27 years and it has actually gotten worse each summer! So again, your opinion is that: an opinion.
80F temps being "extremely hot," a by-product of the Eurocentric attitudes of the US.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:27 PM

371 posts, read 543,443 times
Quote:
80F temps being "extremely hot," a by-product of the Eurocentric attitudes of the US.
Actually no.... it causes me to simply overheat very easily. You are not me, so do not tell me what is extremely hot for my personal self. Your argument is moronic.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Actually no.... it causes me to simply overheat very easily. You are not me, so do not tell me what is extremely hot for my personal self. Your argument is moronic.
The Europeans had little experience with hot, humid climates, like that of the US South, because the continent lacks such a climate. Thus, the Europeans had the generational lack of experience with such climates, and thus the methods to deal with such climates effectively without A/C, unlike people from Africa or Asia. This explains alot, from the lack of development in the Southern US until recently, to the negative feelings towards the Southern US climate. Had the US been dominated by people from Africa, or Asia, especially those from the warm parts of their continents, you would not hear near the amount of complaining about the Southern climate.

With that said, Southern Europeans, like those from Spain, do have a decent amount of experience in dealing with hot climates, much unlike northern Europeans (who make up a majority of the US). For example, the Spanish have the concept of the afternoon siesta, where they rested through noon, avoiding the hottest part of the day. Such techniques of dealing with hot climates are a huge part in how the Spanish were able to conquer and extend their influence throughout a large portion of the Americas, including much of Central and South America, relative to Northern Europeans.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:28 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Doesn't sound like paradise to me if you have to avoid activity in the middle of the day.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:59 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times
Why is this thread still going on? Of course you CAN live in the south without AC barring any health conditions. But why the hell would you want to?

Old 06-17-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Why is this thread still going on? Of course you CAN live in the south without AC barring any health conditions. But why the hell would you want to?
Some people like to enjoy the awesome, refreshing thunderstorms that happen every summer in the region, along with the lush, verdant vegetation, and lively, charming culture.

Most Southern cities are not really that hot in the summer, so A/C isn't really required. Many are also warm enough in the winter for one to go by without central Heat.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:05 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times
Quote:
Some people like to enjoy the awesome, refreshing thunderstorms that happen every summer in the region, along with the lush, verdant vegetation, and lively, charming culture.

Most Southern cities are not really that hot in the summer, so A/C isn't really required. Many are also warm enough in the winter for one to go by without central Heat.
How does vegetation and culture relate to not having AC?

Old 06-18-2015, 06:04 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:

How about a few examples of Paradise without A/C? Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.