Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 09:41 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,923,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
I don't even know if i should continue wasting my time with you, it was entertaining at one point (first threads) but now it's old and thread after thread you get schooled in your regions weather...

Simple as this: you get facts presented to you, but you make up a bs excuse of cold epoch and Mt. St. Helens...
On the contrary, I am the one who is doing the schooling around here; I'm just taking some time off to teach you amateur climatologists a little bit about real climatology, such as the technique of uncovering the lurking variables that exert influence on the climate data and facts you all just blissfully spout, and put forth without second thought.

There are no excuses being made; the Cold Epoch claim comes out of raw, pure logic (something you amateur climatologists just don't think about): that the US South is a naturally warm climate that has been going through a period where it experiences bouts of abnormally cold temps. If the US South was "naturally cold" during winter as you claim, then it wouldn't be able to support the existence of large reptiles like the alligator. THINK!

Quote:
Nothing about the south is tropical, the warmest microclimates of the south have seen 20s (south Florida), the 2nd warmest (central Florida and extreme south Texas) have seen teens!

The rest of the south coastal and inland can't be mentioned in the same sentence as tropical.
No, the warmest, warmest micro climates of the Coastal South, the Florida Keys, have not gone below 40F, and , along with Miami Beach, are the only areas on the US mainland never to have recorded a freeze.

Anyways, the cold temps experienced in areas of the South were, as stated before, abbe-rations caused by the Cold Epoch over Eastern North America. There are plenty of peer-reviewed article, as well as scientific text in Google Books that support the theory of a period of extreme bouts of cold in the eastern half of North America. I'll grab one, and post it on here for you to read.

Just the presence of South Florida means the South has a tropical climate OUTSIDE the tropics, a rarity on Earth. In addition, Central Florida, as well as South Texas, form the nigh tropical climates of the South, and the rest of the Coastal South, up to south Virginia, make up deep subtropical climates. All offer great winter escapes for the snowbirds of the country.

Quote:
Stop acting like all those creatures you named live and thrive in the south, they don't, and after one winter in the south they would easily die. As for cocos, south Florida is the only region of the south that can sustain them. Not even extreme south Texas can as annual freezes and frigid temps don't allow them to survive.all it takes to kill tropical species like a coconut palm is a short time under freezing conditions, something south Texas sees on multiple nights each winter.
Only except that all those creatures I named do, in fact, live and thrive in the South:
http://www.ars.usda.gov/sites/firean...festation2.jpg
http://15xqusktfgl1aodh6s07pe6d.wpen.../GREJ-copy.gif
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...venscharbe.jpg
http://askabiologist.asu.edu/aab_too...racara_L_M.gif
Roseate Spoonbill - BirdFellow Social Field Guide
https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/...orthern-jacana
The Last Jaguar - Valley Morning Star : News
http://scontent-b.cdninstagram.com/h...46980402_n.jpg
http://www.sdakotabirds.com/species/..._map_large.jpg
https://anolistollis.wordpress.com/2...-story-part-1/
https://www.fort.usgs.gov/sites/defa..._etal_2009.jpg
Nine-banded armadillo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Virginia opossum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Coral Reefs in Texas | USA Today
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...water_NPS1.jpg

In addition, plants from the deep tropics also range into the US South, where they survive, and thrive:
Bromeliaceae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Avicennia germinans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pleopeltis polypodioides - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ebenopsis ebano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ehretia anacua - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://esp.cr.usgs.gov/data/little/zantfaga.pdf
Gelsemium sempervirens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They've been living and thriving in the South for thousands and thousands of years, well before you and I were born. There's no doubt about it.

Coconuts do grow outside of South Florida; in Central Florida, and in South Texas. Coconuts actually survived a stint of freezing temps experienced in Central Florida, and in South Texas in 2011(the FIRST of such temps in MULTIPLE decades) due to quick warm-ups to pleasant levels that allowed them to survive:
Coconuts and other tender palms in S. Texas - DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE - PalmTalk

Freezes are rare in both South Texas, and in Central Florida; its a matter of decades as to when they occur. Both areas are at the edge of the tropics, and thus exhibit lots of tropical animals, and plants.

Quote:
I'm done.
And please be so. A little tip; next time you want to debate with me, gather a little more information about the topic at hand. In the mean time, you can read up to your heart's content on the multiple links I posted for you rife with information that lays waste to your preconceived notions about the climate of the US South.

It's time that the US realizes it has an entire semi-tropical/tropical coastline right at its disposal that it can use to its advantage, for everything from agriculture to recreation to tourism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:50 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
You can do the same in Greenland, but I wouldn't want to try that either.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:57 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
It's time that the US realizes it has an entire semi-tropical/tropical coastline right at its disposal that it can use to its advantage, for everything from agriculture to recreation to tourism.
And why, exactly, do you think this useful fact has not been discovered (by anyone other than you) in the past 500 years?

Old 03-09-2015, 10:09 PM

10 posts, read 6,921 times
In the south....Humidity. So thick at times you choke on it. Hot and humid in the south is not like the dry heat of other areas. 100° with 28% humidity is much better than 88° with 70% humidity.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:19 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
And why, exactly, do you think this useful fact has not been discovered (by anyone other than you) in the past 500 years?
thank you.

sad part is that even he doesnt beleive his lies...

Old 03-10-2015, 08:23 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,923,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Living without A/C and Heat in Greenland is a death sentence; living without A/C and Heat in the South is completely doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Because too many people in that time-frame have let their irrational fears of insects and humidity cloud their judgement,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso4 View Post
In the south....Humidity. So thick at times you choke on it. Hot and humid in the south is not like the dry heat of other areas. 100° with 28% humidity is much better than 88° with 70% humidity.
Swift sea-breezes along coastal areas, frequent cooling thunderstorms, huge trees for shade, and lots of clouds in the sky all help to mitigate whatever uncomfort heat and humidity can bring to the South.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:36 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,152,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
You'd die in Greenland without heat.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:10 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
I actually agree with the OP about living without AC. Sure it would be doable but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would want to live without those amenities.

But a lot of what he says is also a little fantasized. Yea, those thunderstorms cool it down for about 30 minutes. Then the sun comes back out and it feels twice as humid as before.

Plus, a lot of those animals you mentioned, while they sound exotic, are not really. Jaguars were native to most of the southern United States including the desert southwest. The only reason they dissapeared was over hunting and border fences keeping their migration patterns limited. Those plants don't really have much to do with temps either. Texas does not have an 11A usda zone but yes, South Padre Island can support some coco palms. Why? It has more to do wth soil temps than anything. SoCal has some 11A microclimates but we get cooler rains in the winter. When soil temps drop below a certain point the tree can no longer thrive. Texas sees colder temps each winter than anywhere in SoCal but they are usually only a few days long and don't drop cold rains on these palms.

But the whole cold epoch? I've searched everywhere and have been studying meteorology on my own terms for almost ten years. Absolutely nothing on this mystical matter.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:22 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,152,879 times
Coconut palms on South Padre are protected for the 1-5 days every winter they get which could kill the palm tree. Overall South Padre has warmer winters than Santa Monica, and this is reflected in the soil temperature.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:58 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Houses used to be built in the south so that they were tolerable in the heat. Since about the 1960s, home builders would build an AC, and then set a house down over it and turn it on. But before that, houses were built with reflective tin roofs, lots of windows for air circulation, and shade trees out in the yard, for shaded air to waft through the house.
I agree with you on this.
I went to elementary, junior and high schools in Tennessee and Alabama from 1958-70. None of the schools were air conditioned. We had high ceilings, multiple fans, windows that opened at the top and bottom, windows over the doors that opened. You didn't go out in the sun in the middle of the day.

I can vaguely remember the day around 1956 when my parents bought a window air conditioner for our house. They were so excited to be able to be cool at night!

you better believe the South embraced air conditioning, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.