Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 05:40 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenretriever1234 View Post
Poor Michigan
As a Michigan resident, it's probably not as bad as people think.

First, people don't usually go to hotels when they're vacationing in Michigan. It's an outdoor state. People are usually camping or RVing here. Second, geographically speaking, if you're driving across the country, you're not going through Michigan unless it's your starting point or destination state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 09:28 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I understand your rationale (if you're still active--I know I'm bumping an older thread), but it's still a bit confusing. Plus, I'm not sure what that indicates. I think if we did actual tourist numbers relative to overall population, we might be able to 'rank' the states easier.

For example, my state of Delaware is the 45th most populous state at 945,934 (2015). In 2014, there were 8 million visitors, however, or over 8 times the actual population of the state. If we did this for every state, we could get an interesting list. New York had 19,795,791 people in 2015, and 227.5 million visitors in 2014, or about 11.5 times more visitors than the actual state population.

Statistics - Delaware Tourism Industry | Delaware Tourism Office
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...first-time-new
Here's a more specific breakdown for Delaware:

"For the first time, television advertisements are running in areas like Philadelphia and New York City as Delaware officials increase their state’s visibility in key markets.

Along with Philadelphia and New York, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., and Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, residents account for 75 percent of tourists coming to the First State, the study found. At 30 percent, Philadelphia is the largest market provider, followed by Baltimore and New York with 15 percent and 14 percent, respectively, Washington with 12 percent and Harrisburg with 5 percent.

Just over 18 percent of tourists come from New Jersey, followed by Maryland (16 percent), Pennsylvania (15.5), New York (12.7) and Delaware (12.2). About 17 percent of the visitors come from, in order, Virginia, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Ohio and Washington, D.C., according to research."

8 million visitors drop $3 billion in state coffers - Delaware State News | Delaware State News

Old 03-03-2016, 10:16 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
As for Alabama I am shocked but again it does make sense. Gulf Shores /Orange Beach alone has a lot of tourist. Mardi Gras in Alabama has over a million revelers within a 2 week period. Along with thebothwr attractions through out the state It does make sense. Alabama has a lot to offer in regards to tourism.

I'm shocked that Lousiana is ranked that low. Louisiana has a smaller population than Alabama and you would assume that it would have more tourist.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:43 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
New York and Louisiana are so low on the list but both states are so tourist oriented. Wat?

Old 03-04-2016, 07:59 AM

8,617 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Living as close as you do to Utah, I'm surprised you're so clueless. America has 58 National Parks. Five of them are in Utah, and all five of them outrank more than half of the total number of parks by number of visitors annually. Tourism in Utah is HUGE. Arizona, on the other hand, doesn't fare nearly so well.
Doesn't fare nearly so well in what way?

Old 03-04-2016, 08:09 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
New York and Louisiana are so low on the list but both states are so tourist oriented. Wat?
It's because the OP's methodology is inherently flawed. He's simply comparing states' ranking on the tourism list (NY is 5, LA is 29) with their (2010) population ranking. It literally tells you nothing.

California, for example, is #1 on both the tourist list and population rankings, so it's "score" is simply 0. What are we to glean from that? Does that mean California is not a popular tourist destination relative to its population? The answer is clearly no, as it receives more than 6 times as many tourists as it has residents.

A better methodology would be to simply calculate the amount of tourists a state/district receives in absolute numbers relative to its residential population, and rank those differences. You would get a much more accurate gauge of "popularity" that way.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:23 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Living as close as you do to Utah, I'm surprised you're so clueless. America has 58 National Parks. Five of them are in Utah, and all five of them outrank more than half of the total number of parks by number of visitors annually. Tourism in Utah is HUGE. Arizona, on the other hand, doesn't fare nearly so well.
Calling someone clueless and then bashing Arizona on tourism, priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.