Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:40 PM

7 posts, read 7,361 times

Advertisements

hi all. i am in my twenties and recently relocated to new england from Northern Ireland. very nice so far but very cold and seems quite crammed.

for now i will stay here, but was wondering where else there are irish immigrant communities.

dont necessarily mean Americans of irish descent although i do reckon it is quite cool that people are proud of their heritages, i do instead mean somewhere with irish immigrant communities like the neighborhoods in ny and here in new england. i am staying heaps far away from boston with a school mate in rhodes island and ive met a few irish already so i can only imagine how many i will meet in the city proper.

for future reference though, any other places have irish-born communities of size?

to add, is it true that santa monica in california has an english immigrant community? that is quite odd to think about if it is true - but i am wondering if it's immigrants are like me who work in building, restaurants et. al.
or more rich expatriates? i was under an impression of the fact that the english don't emigrate to work anywhere but australia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 03:51 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,478 times
Why do you say English, not British? Brits work in Germany, France, NZ, Austria, a lot like my brother work in Ireland. I take it as you are from N.Ireland you are Catholic and obviously hate Brits/English ( Wow, loads of plastic paddies in Boston!) ( Whats that English in California??! are you sure they are not Welsh, or were they from Herefordshire. ?)but time has moved on, you cant post slyly racist points. A lot of English are actually black and a lot have Irish descent. Have you just stepped off a plane from 1950 Eire, with your boyo views, misty eyed, sentimental Boston Cop love in. Meh

Old 03-06-2015, 03:56 PM

Why is an English community in Santa Monica quite odd? Are they Puritans, of course. Why would you be concerned about English in California if you are in New England, you are safe they wont bite you!

Old 03-06-2015, 04:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Maybe Philadelphia or Chicago:

BBC News - America's new Irish immigrants

Old 03-06-2015, 10:06 PM

455 posts, read 771,716 times
America's Most Irish Metros, percent by Irish ancestry

Boston, MA -20.4%

Middlesex County, MA - 16.9%

Albany, NY 15.6%

Syracuse, NY 15.0%

Philadelphia, PA 14.2%

Long Island, NY 13.1%

Wilmington, DE-MD-NJ 13.0%

Providence, RI 12.2 %

Bridgeport-Stamford, Conn., 11.7 percent

New Haven, Conn., 11.5 %

Tulsa, Oklahoma 11.4%? probably more Scotch than Irish.

Buffalo, 11.23 %

Pittsburgh, 10.74 %

Kansas City, 9.6 %

America's Top Irish Hoods

1) Breezy Point / Rockaway Point
Queens, New York, neighborhood
54.3% Irish ancestry

2) Point Lookout
Long Island South Shore suburb
45.6% Irish ancestry

3) zip 60655 Mount Greenwood
Chicago Southwest Side neighborhood
40.7% Irish ancestry

4) zip 02081 Walpole
South Boston
40.0% Irish ancestry

5) zip 19022 Crum Lynne
Philadelphia western suburb
39.2% Irish ancestry

6) zip 02190 South Weymouth
Boston South Shore
38.6% Irish ancestry

7) zip 02351 Abington
Boston South Shore
38.1% Irish ancestry

8) zip 02050 Marshfield
Boston South Shore
37.5% Irish ancestry

Old 03-06-2015, 10:20 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
The Baltimore metro is 13.88% Irish

Old 03-06-2015, 11:10 PM

455 posts, read 771,716 times
If you want to get put of the cold and high-prices of Boston you might want to check out either Charleston SC, or Savannah GA. Charleston has deep Irish roots going back to 200+ years and of the eight South Carolinian's who signed the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution, four were of Irish descent.

The St. Patrick parade in Savannah has been named the fourth largest Saint Patrick’s Day Parade in the United States and rates as the largest annual single day celebration in the Southeastern United States...next to NASCAR . Atlanta also has a fast growing Irish American population that's migrated down from NY, MA and PA. New Orleans also has a sizable Irish Catholic population, that's still strongly influenced by it's Irish residents and past history.

St. Patrick

The Irish in New Orleans

Old 03-07-2015, 03:29 PM

Scots-Irish came from Northern England and Scotland they were Irish. ( or Jewish) yawnnnnnn

Old 03-07-2015, 03:31 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Why do you say English, not British? Brits work in Germany, France, NZ, Austria, a lot like my brother work in Ireland. I take it as you are from N.Ireland you are Catholic and obviously hate Brits/English ( Wow, loads of plastic paddies in Boston!) ( Whats that English in California??! are you sure they are not Welsh, or were they from Herefordshire. ?)but time has moved on, you cant post slyly racist points. A lot of English are actually black and a lot have Irish descent. Have you just stepped off a plane from 1950 Eire, with your boyo views, misty eyed, sentimental Boston Cop love in. Meh
Ehh-reading into things a little too deeply are we? Touchy touchy...

Old 03-07-2015, 05:03 PM

9 posts, read 7,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean MacDougal View Post
hi all. i am in my twenties and recently relocated to new england from Northern Ireland. very nice so far but very cold and seems quite crammed.

for now i will stay here, but was wondering where else there are irish immigrant communities.

dont necessarily mean Americans of irish descent although i do reckon it is quite cool that people are proud of their heritages, i do instead mean somewhere with irish immigrant communities like the neighborhoods in ny and here in new england. i am staying heaps far away from boston with a school mate in rhodes island and ive met a few irish already so i can only imagine how many i will meet in the city proper.

for future reference though, any other places have irish-born communities of size?
You are certainly on the right coast. Of course, there are plenty of people with Irish ancestry on the West coast -- but there are far more "fresh off the boat" Irish on the East coast.

Quote:
to add, is it true that santa monica in california has an english immigrant community? that is quite odd to think about if it is true
Yes, Santa Monica has a large British expat community -- it goes back decades. The English are rarely thought of when discussing immigrant groups. This is mostly down to how quickly the children of English immigrants embrace just being, "American."

My English mother came here in the 60s. She was offered a position at one of the local Universities, teaching Science.

Quote:
- but i am wondering if it's immigrants are like me who work in building, restaurants et. al.
or more rich expatriates?
I'm sure some of them are in that line of work. A great number of Britons that continue to emigrate to the US, have a degree, and find work in all the professional fields.

I know quite a few Britons that work in the Banking industry.

Quote:
i was under an impression of the fact that the english don't emigrate to work anywhere but australia
Well, that's not true at all. There are more than 5M Britons that live abroad. Only a relativity small percentage are elderly. There are about 2.6M in North America and Australia, the rest are scattered throughout the rest of the world. What do you think they're doing? Sightseeing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.