Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:05 PM

612 posts, read 1,512,610 times

Advertisements

I received a USPS notice in my mail box that I missed a certified mail which was a letter. It doesn't have the sender's name or even my name on it. It has the tracking number which when tracked doesn't have information of where is it being sent from.

What are certified mails generally used for? If I accept a certified mail, do I have to sign for it?

I pay all my bills and credit cards regularly and I live in a rental apartment. This is making me worried since it says about certified letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 05:15 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
What are certified mails generally used for?
To Prove they mailed it to you, and you received it

If I accept a certified mail, do I have to sign for it
Yes

Old 03-05-2015, 06:40 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Go the post office, hand them the form they left with you. They'll bring out the certified mail and you can see from the envelope who it is from before you sign for it. You can't open it unless you sign for it. Could be from your landlord telling you he won't be renewing your lease or giving you a 30 day notice to leave. He would be creating a paper trail of notification. Could be anything else too. Go find out.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The mailman is supposed to write in the zip code of the sender on the notice you received -- there is a space for it. If he didn't, he is negligent. Phone the PO and ask to be told the zip code on the piece of mail. Good luck phoning the post office.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:58 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,557,843 times
As previously stated by another poster already certified mail is essentially someone having to sign for the letter or package you are sending them before they can receive it. As far as why people send mail certified they usually do it paying bills, giving notices, or sending important documents. Personally I mail my rent check in (they don't do auto pay) and have the envelop certified that way the company who runs the property can never claim they didn't get my rent money for the month.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The mailman is supposed to write in the zip code of the sender on the notice you received -- there is a space for it. If he didn't, he is negligent. Phone the PO and ask to be told the zip code on the piece of mail. Good luck phoning the post office.
I called the PO and told them the mailman left a notice without much details on it and asked if they can provide me sender's name/zip code if I give them tracking number. They said they cannot provide any details over the phone.

Looks like I will have to take a half day at work and visit PO for it.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I think you can return the notice card to your carrier and request that another attempt be made to deliver it. In fact, I think they will make three attempts before returning the item to sender as undeliverable or unclaimed.

Personally, I would call my landlord's office and see if they had sent it. If not, ignore it. These are often from bill collectors, how is your credit score? You might be able to find recent debt collection activity on your credit report, which would be reflected there before they send a certified letter.

If it's really important, and in your best interests,the sender would find another way to contact you.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-06-2015 at 08:22 AM..

Old 03-06-2015, 08:15 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
I think you can just sign the card, and the Carrier will deliver the letter the next cycle, and they use your signature on the card as proof of delivery.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think you can return the notice card to your carrier and request that another attempt be made to deliver it. In fact, I think they will make three attempts before returning the item to sender as undeliverable or unclaimed.
Yeah I can do that. But for it I will have to sign the notice and after that they will leave the letter in my mailbox. Giving it another thought, I don't wish to sign it without looking at the names of the sender or even looking at the name of the receiver. Thing is that I stay in rental house and I am still getting mails for the previous tenant in my mailbox.

The notice which mailman left just has date and my apartment address on it.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I think you can just sign the card, and the Carrier will deliver the letter the next cycle, and they use your signature on the card as proof of delivery.
Lets see, else I can go tomorrow morning as well. The branch here is open on Saturday's. Will have to remain in suspense for one more day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.