Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 05:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times

Advertisements

Kiplinger has a list of 10 of the most affordable cities that you might still want to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 05:54 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Yes, Youngstown is that cheap. The suburbs are awfully nice and a bargain.

I'm thinking the Wheeling region will be on that list soon. It is another bargain from the high COL of Pittsburgh.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:05 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
Those that want to live in 'cheap' cities better take deep consideration in what they are getting into.

If one is simply looking for the cheapest housing and doesn't care about the amenities of what the vibrancy of progressive cities offer, then you could go to nearly any state and just pick the place with the suburb of your dreams, the fast food you eat, the church with your favorite demons and a wal mart close by for all your needs.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
How does Kiplinger know what cities I want to live in?

Old 03-07-2015, 08:23 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Literally none of those cities I would ever think twice about living in. Every single one of them is an unattractive, ultra-conservative cowtown. That's why they're cheap. No thanks.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:44 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Quote:
If one is simply looking for the cheapest housing and doesn't care about the amenities of what the vibrancy of progressive cities offer, then you could go to nearly any state and just pick the place with the suburb of your dreams, the fast food you eat, the church with your favorite demons and a wal mart close by for all your needs.
Dude, there are cheap cities with vibrant commercial districts and unique amenities. You really need to get out more. I assume you live in Santa Fe or Taos? I think you must cling to that stereotype to justify paying your inflated rent month after month. And if you are truly out tramping the trails why do you need a different unique restaurant every night of the week? Some of us nature lovers can cook at home and are perfectly content with unique restaurant experiences a couple of times a month.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:00 AM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Dude, there are cheap cities with vibrant commercial districts and unique amenities. You really need to get out more. I assume you live in Santa Fe or Taos? I think you must cling to that stereotype to justify paying your inflated rent month after month. And if you are truly out tramping the trails why do you need a different unique restaurant every night of the week? Some of us nature lovers can cook at home and are perfectly content with unique restaurant experiences a couple of times a month.
Sure, there are well kept secrets absolutely, but sometimes there are reasons why the cost of housing/rent is higher in one place vs. another. There are places that are overpriced and overrated.

But from my experience many cheap places can feel somewhat depressing for certain reasons. I've spent a couple days before in Santa Fe and Taos before, and have driven through Pueblo, CO. All I have to say is that based upon the aesthetics I would feel it justified to pay more to live in Santa Fe or Taos than Pueblo, CO.

However, this is not a universal feeling for me. For example, all the midwestern metros over 2 million people other than Chicago seem like well kept secrets that have their lower costs as a selling point, while Chicago doesn't feel justified to be that pricy. But thats just me.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:49 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I have heard Columbus OH has some amazing neighborhoods. I was personally impressed by the Mainstrasse area in Covington, across from Cincinnatti. Bardstown Road in Louisville is mile upon mile of innovative restaurants and shopping, no need to pay high prices to live nearby.

I think post #3 surprised me because in my social sphere progressive is used as a positive term. Should one redefine progressive as a "liberal" who embraces stereotypes? Or is tt neither liberal nor progressive just a narrow minded foodie who enjoys restaurants run by progressive folks.

Quote:
but sometimes there are reasons why the cost of housing/rent is higher in one place vs. another.
I'm wondering if people are happy to pay to avoid lower income people. The higher COL is exclusionary. Not something I associate with liberal mindset but this could be how "progressive" is different.

Last edited by creeksitter; 03-08-2015 at 01:05 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 05:04 PM

707 posts, read 749,225 times
Quote:
...Pueblo Colorado is known more for its green chile...
Isn't that cute? Its like "we make the finest Tequila in the world, Yes, welcome to Alberta"!

Old 03-08-2015, 09:05 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.