Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Uncomfortable Summer Weather
Brownsville, TX 14 5.04%
Columbia, SC 14 5.04%
Ft. Meyers, FL 10 3.60%
Houston 59 21.22%
Jackson, MS 13 4.68%
Laredo, TX 8 2.88%
Las Vegas 5 1.80%
Miami 25 8.99%
New Orleans 28 10.07%
Oklahoma City 6 2.16%
Palm Springs, CA area 5 1.80%
Phoenix 70 25.18%
Yuma, AZ 21 7.55%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:19 PM

138 posts, read 598,197 times

Advertisements

Phoenix for sure! The heat and sun is known to melt the glue that adheres the rearview mirror to the window causing it to land in your lap when you make a slight adjustment.

And don't think that that it cools down at night either during the summer. Midnight and it's still a balmy 100 degrees with no breeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 02:26 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,434,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedfly View Post
Phoenix for sure! The heat and sun is known to melt the glue that adheres the rearview mirror to the window causing it to land in your lap when you make a slight adjustment.
That happened to me in NJ about 10 years ago

Old 01-24-2008, 03:27 PM

197 posts, read 259,661 times
Houston definitely has the most uncomfortable summers, and by far the number 1 place NOT to move if you don't like heat or humidty. I personally like humidity though, it helps keep my voice supple. Just a preference (since I'm a singer.)

Old 02-16-2010, 02:31 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,686,006 times
I voted for the Palm Springs area because when I was there once in the summer, it was NOT pleasant. It felt like it was too hot for human life but that was years ago when my heat tolerance was really low. Not that I love heat now but back then was a different story for me.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:42 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,250,716 times
I'd say somewhere in Alaska where it's like in the 50's, I'd hate that.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:31 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,758,356 times
Fort Myers.
I was actually there in summer because of my grandparents. Not only is it unbelievably hot and humid, but the thunderstorms are beastly.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:15 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,865,712 times
Phoenix is one of the hottest.

Something a lot of us are proud of. No, it's not for everyone, but some are used to it.
Some people will put up with stuck indoors all winter and it's a similar situation.

Weather everywhere is a trade off.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:07 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,394,586 times
Default Phoenix

Lived there for 11 years and am now in Houston. Yes Houston is humid and hot but in Phoenix sometimes it is so hot that it seems like everything is dead for many many months on end, You dont hear a bird chirp, or even see a house fly. Only crickets, scorpions and a few lizzards can sustain life in conditions soooooo! estreme. In houston it is hot and very humid but there is at least life there. It is near water so you can go to the beach and there is green grass, animals, insects plus a lot of days are under 90 degrees and it rains and cools off. No, I am sure after 11 years in phoenix that it is the hotter of the 2. I can remember just walking from the car to the store was like an oven. And its not true that you cool off in the shade. When it is that hot even the shade doesn't help. Plus at night come on. I remember that even at 10:00 at night it would still be over 100 degrees in phoenix. No there is no confusion here, Phoenix is the king of hot unbearable Summers.

For example, if you stood outside in the worst heat and humidity in Houston lets say 95 degrees and a heat index of 107. Thenyou also stood outside in the worst Phoenix weather lets say 117 degrees (Remember that Houston has clouds in the summer) you would die WAY! faster in Phoenix. You guys cant imagine this kind of heat for days and weeks on end it is really surprising. In Phoenix you are always out in the full sun with extreme and I mean EXTREME uv and sun exposure the sun will burn you and start cooking you in a minute. Yes they may have similar heat indicies but the FULL SUN EXPOSURE in phoenix is what makes it so much worse. When you get in your car you will get burned by the steering wheel. You will get burned just from touching the metal exterior of your car or anything really that has been in the sun. You cant touch a rock or even grab the metal railings of the laddre on a pool. Dont forget that the sun in Phoenix scorches like in no other place. That is worse than all of the humidity.

Last edited by jd433; 02-17-2010 at 09:15 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 09:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,119,705 times
Funny how PHX gets more votes than Yuma, AZ, which is even hotter. I believe even hotter still is Lake Havasu City/Bullhead, AZ area. That place is so daggone hot that its nearly impossible to keep yourself from bursting into flames everytime you step outside.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:27 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,119,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Lived there for 11 years and am now in Houston. Yes Houston is humid and hot but in Phoenix sometimes it is so hot that it seems like everything is dead for many many months on end, You dont hear a bird chirp, or even see a house fly. Only crickets, scorpions and a few lizzards can sustain life in conditions soooooo! estreme. In houston it is hot and very humid but there is at least life there. It is near water so you can go to the beach and there is green grass, animals, insects plus a lot of days are under 90 degrees and it rains and cools off. No, I am sure after 11 years in phoenix that it is the hotter of the 2. I can remember just walking from the car to the store was like an oven. And its not true that you cool off in the shade. When it is that hot even the shade doesn't help. Plus at night come on. I remember that even at 10:00 at night it would still be over 100 degrees in phoenix. No there is no confusion here, Phoenix is the king of hot unbearable Summers.

For example, if you stood outside in the worst heat and humidity in Houston lets say 95 degrees and a heat index of 107. Thenyou also stood outside in the worst Phoenix weather lets say 117 degrees (Remember that Houston has clouds in the summer) you would die WAY! faster in Phoenix. You guys cant imagine this kind of heat for days and weeks on end it is really surprising. In Phoenix you are always out in the full sun with extreme and I mean EXTREME uv and sun exposure the sun will burn you and start cooking you in a minute. Yes they may have similar heat indicies but the FULL SUN EXPOSURE in phoenix is what makes it so much worse. When you get in your car you will get burned by the steering wheel. You will get burned just from touching the metal exterior of your car or anything really that has been in the sun. You cant touch a rock or even grab the metal railings of the laddre on a pool. Dont forget that the sun in Phoenix scorches like in no other place. That is worse than all of the humidity.
I agree. PHX summers are insanely hot at times. Just standing outside will drench you in sweat, and thats early in the morning! Shade? Doesnt help at all, unless you have the mist machines going full speed, then its semi-tolerable. But step out into that sun? OUCH

Check out what the sun did to this candle outside! LOL

This was way up in Northern AZ, between Gallup, NM and Flagstaff, AZ in the "cool" part of the state. I say cool because, well, look at this pic and the one below it taken in PHX in the sun and it actually was "cool" in Northern AZ!

YOWZA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.