Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 02:43 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,475 times

Advertisements

Take a look at Hood River, Oregon, or the Bend area, or anywhere in the Willamette Valley that's outside of the urban centers of Portland and Eugene. Nature at your doorstep, a strong fitness/leisure culture, and hiking & biking galore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 04:26 PM

7 posts, read 5,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Take a look at Hood River, Oregon, or the Bend area, or anywhere in the Willamette Valley that's outside of the urban centers of Portland and Eugene. Nature at your doorstep, a strong fitness/leisure culture, and hiking & biking galore.
I've thought about Bend, however, the 300 days of sunshine a year is scaring me away. I like long, snowy overcast winters and preferably a mostly overcast fall. Summers and spring are fine if sunny and warm. I've heard that Bend is one of the sunniest places.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:53 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,475 times
300 days of sunshine?!? Must be some other Bend. One website I found states 162 sunny days per year in Bend. The other part of city-data.com, the part that has actual data on cities, has charts showing that Bend is below the US average in sunshine:

See //www.city-data.com/city/Bend-Oregon.html for more.

Bend does get more snow than the Willamette Valley. The valley gets very little snow but does have overcast falls and winters, and springs, which does bother some people.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:24 PM

7 posts, read 5,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
300 days of sunshine?!? Must be some other Bend. One website I found states 162 sunny days per year in Bend. The other part of city-data.com, the part that has actual data on cities, has charts showing that Bend is below the US average in sunshine:

See //www.city-data.com/city/Bend-Oregon.html for more.

Bend does get more snow than the Willamette Valley. The valley gets very little snow but does have overcast falls and winters, and springs, which does bother some people.

That map looks good in terms of overall mostly cloudy days. I was nervous because the Bend Chamber of Commerce, along with some posts on here, say that Bend gets over 300 days of sunshine. I guess it's better to go by the actual statistics.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:37 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingWest15 View Post
I'm not really that big a fan of Idaho, although Boise is the one exception. Small, quiet city with lots of recreation and located within a day's drive of most attractions I would want to visit.

What do you mean by "not your crowd" in Eastern Washington? We have been looking at areas like Wentachee. It looks like there are lots of trails and biking. Is this in reference to healthy restaurants and fitness enthusiasts? Please explain further so we don't mistakenly move to the wrong area! Thanks!
Wenatchee is a working-class town. It does have a slight element of what you described, but after a visit, I think you'd see what I mean. The geography of Wenatchee works (keep in mind, it is incredibly hot there during summer), but places to the west like Leavenworth and Cashmere might be more your style.

Even a city like Spokane isn't as "outdoor enthusiast" as you'd might expect. I don't know what your knock is against Idaho, but I would also add Moscow to the list of places to check out. If you haven't been to North Idaho before, I'd strongly suggest a visit. It is absolutely heavenly from Moscow north to the Canadian border.

I will also add, since you mentioned this in your OP, that Eastern WA/North Idaho is the most "I live for the weekend" kind of place I've ever lived. If you want to find people that don't care about work, that is the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.