Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:33 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times

Advertisements

MLK starts in Las Vegas in the only part of town that has a majority of blacks.
It is however a ghetto. Slowly as you head north in changes into the city of North Las Vegas, where the area is newer and the diversity is more pronounced. At one point the same road changes name and the area becomes even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 02:02 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Default Chicago

On the south side "Kang Drive" is a broad, pretty boulevard of grass and trees which then extends next to a park and into a 'working class' community. The former 'South Parkway' is mostly townhomes and new construction. All in all, a nice black area. I have a friend who bought a condo conversion of an older building on King Drive. Its really a long street which extends into the south suburbs where it has a different name.

Factoid: One sixties black preacher who was an opponent of MLK had the front door of his church moved (at lare expense) so it would not have an address on Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Drive.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:04 PM

119 posts, read 881,232 times
Martin Luther King Jr Blvd formerly Santa Barbara Ave in LA is a mix of residential and commercial with some rough patches throughout; But the nicest parts are west of Western Ave and where King meets Crenshaw Blvd in the Crenshaw District and Hyde Park. Baldwin Hills-Crenshaw Plaza at the intersection ML King and Crenshaw Boulevards serving the area with Macy's, Sears, Wal- Mart and Magic Johnson theaters complex anchor the mall.

Exposition Park is has many of city's landmarks and cultural centers for example: The Memorial Coliseum, The California Science Center, Museum of Natural History, California African American Museum; California Science Center Air and Space Gallery, IMAX theater and The LA Sports Arena. USC is Just north of the park.

In Long Beach, King Ave runs on a north/south orientation opposed to LA's King Blvd runs east/ west. King Ave like King Blvd in LA is a mix of residential and commercial in East Long Beach. The area is diverse with Blacks, Latino, and Asians. Asians Americans live between 7th St and Anaheim St. African Americans between Anaheim and and Willow St Latinos live through MLK Ave area. Its more non nondescript that LA's King Blvd there area no major landmarks on the thoroughfare. King Ave in Long Beach runs about nearly 2 miles; while in LA, King runs about 5 miles.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
In St. Louis, Martin Luther King Drive is connected as the same road passing through both Missouri and Illinois. The only reason we even recognize it is because it runs on the Martin Luther King Bridge over the Mississippi River just north of the Arch. A lot of people wishing to travel from I-70E in Missouri to I-64E in Illinois use the MLK Bridge as a short cut and alternative to the Poplar Street Bridge, on the southern edge of downtown where I-70, I-64, and I-55 traffic all run over the same four-lane-in-each-direction bridge.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:13 AM

794 posts, read 3,358,109 times
I know we have a MLK Drive somewhere in Baton Rouge, but I don't know where it is right off. I do know we have a MLK Expressway that just recently got changed over to Freeway for whatever reason. That belongs to I-110 going through North BR. It's a 6 lane elevated expressway.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:32 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
That's one of the most loaded questions I've ever seen.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:14 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
That's one of the most loaded questions I've ever seen.
I had the same suspicion.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:13 PM

884 posts, read 1,034,387 times
MLK Drive in Omaha is Ghetto from beginning to end.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:17 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
You would expect more of MLK Drive in Atlanta the hometown of Martin Luther King. But, it's pretty much the same as in most other large towns. A major thoroughfare running almost entirely through black neighborhoods and a little through the less desirable part of downtown. Much of the area it runs through is lower income.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:20 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
My husband and I have had this conversation a few times. It is a sin that in so many cities and towns, the street named after this outstanding human being is one of the worst.

In Trenton, New Jersey, it's definitely one of the worst streets in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.